Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The reasons you want to leave Phoenix
Lack of employment opportunities/low paying jobs 52 39.69%
Family/friends/moving to be with/getting away from 15 11.45%
Lack of entertainment/culture/walkability/bored 42 32.06%
Suburbia/stucco/track housing 32 24.43%
Esthetics/sick of the desert/brown/climate 56 42.75%
Politics 32 24.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 09:22 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times

Advertisements

[quote=joninaz;16467717]I generally liked Phoenix, lived there for 6-7 years, and was an active poster on this board. It simply wasn't the best fit for me, based on what I wanted out of life.

To me it had two main lifestyles... young and partying, or older/retiree living. Both are absolutely fine, but I'm circa 40 and between the two. We only live once and I decided to jump into a faster river. So I traded a tranquil lifestyle with lots of elbow room for a tougher, more crowded urban life. I got lucky and sold my place, and have been loving my new town... even though it's more crowded, aged, expensive and has the full range of weather. On the flip side, I sold my car, no longer have to worry about AC bills, and despite living in a smaller place, have 150 things going on in the area each time I walk out the door.

Again I'm not bashing Phoenix... it's a good place with good people. But it lends itself to a certain cocoon lifestyle, where it's cheap and easy to simply get by. In my case, I wanted to swim with the sharks, so I moved to a place that is much more dynamic career-wise, and much more competitive when it comes to food, entertainment, etc.

The bottom line is that it comes down to individual needs. PHX is great for the retired person who like golf or simply hanging out. It's a great place for the family that wants an affordable house with room for each of their 3-5 kids. It's a fun place to go to college and stay for a few years. But it's a challenging place if you want changing arts, a wide variety of professional entertainment, or to swim with titans of industry.

I'm glad it worked out for you! Thanks for sharing your story, it was a nice read! I have heard a lot of people love being able to walk more, not spending all their time in their car. It would be a nice change to not be so spread out.
Although, I have to tell you I have 3 kids and the larger home for less and my kids and I would gladly change to something smaller to have a different environment right now as well. Everyone in my house hold is in need of a change, we have been here a long time.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Kinda like a science fiction movie where the heat just extends into all months and the poor people are locked in their homes trying to get one day of cool air blowing their way.
I know, I feel like we are a global warming experiment. lol
Hm, lets see how long they can last in this heat before they start to go crazy.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I can't give dumb politics and the heat all of the credit. I sold my house near Luke for double what I had paid for it two years earlier. That was right before the bubble burst
Lucky you! You got off the bus just in time, before it crashed into smithereens.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:32 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Thanks for the advice but I was just using Seattle as an example in an answer to another post. My sister lives up there and I am aware of the rain. lol
I was using it as an example for people who move here because they don't want snow and then later realize that we have emense sunshine, to the point where you have to cover up 1/2 the year and protect your skin. A lot more than they thought. It's easy to under estimate just how long our summers are. I mean look, it's starting Nov. and it will still be like summer anywhere else. It says fall everywhere, in the stores, tv, holidays, but outside it's still summer. I'm starting to want my activities and lifestyle to match the seasons. I know it sounds strange and it's not a deal breaker but it is starting to wear on me.
It's driving me a little batty lately.
Although she loves it and can't take the heat here, but I wouldn't go from one extreme to the other, I figure that would be a bad idea.
A lot of what is on this thread as being wrong with PHX is just nonsense and/or grossly exaggerated by miserably bored people who need a change in scenery. The paradox of it all is evident in that you had to put up two threads. The bane of one person's existence is the twinkle in the eye of another. The two camps are not likely to come to agreement.

Some people just need a change in scenery. Some of those will be happy for a while, maybe permanently, in another place and others will realize what they lost and long to return. You won't know unless you go. If you hem and haw over it, the windows of opportunity inevitably close as situations change and ties bind more tightly. Eventually, you can't change the scenery no matter how bored you are by it. Then you start to rationalize, see the good that exists and learn to accept your fate. Most of us never get the chance to realize our dreams.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
A lot of what is on this thread as being wrong with PHX is just nonsense and/or grossly exaggerated by miserably bored people who need a change in scenery. The paradox of it all is evident in that you had to put up two threads. The bane of one person's existence is the twinkle in the eye of another. Some people just need a change in scenery. Some of those will be happy for a while, maybe permanently, in another place and others will realize what they lost and long to return. You won't know unless you go.
And you are so miserably bored that you had to come over to this thread and tell us that?
We can be miserable here, want to move, and talk about it if we want! We are on topic, you are not.
Listen people, this thread is for people who WANT TO GET OUT OF HERE, if you cannot control your urges to come on here and tell us we are wrong then you are just as bored and waisting your time. These are our opinions, and those are not arguable. It's how we see it, Phoenix isn't for everyone and if that bothers anybody they need to start their own thread about it. I can see why they like it here, and hold no urge to get them to hate it, if they are happy then great! I am happy for them. It's nice to like the city you live in.
I DO have another thread on liking it here, but unfortunately it's not going as strong as this one. That isn't caused by anything but the lack of things to talk about on it. Feel free to get it up and rolling. I realize that not all people dislike it, and might want to share why they love it here free from people who interrupt them and tell them they are stupid for it.
Instead of saying something bad about us, go to the other thread and try and post the positive! It says something when you can't. It's not a positive spin on Phoenix to come over here and tell us we are lazy and stupid, that doesn't make Phoenix a better place to live, it just proves a lot of peoples points that want to leave.
The reason I put a choice is because there is choice, to have civil conversations instead of battles over opinions. To see just how one persons reasons for happiness can be ones for misery. Everything is like that, we are not stupid, we know, we don't need instruction from someone who should really care less.
Before I did this I had no idea that they would match up, I did it out of respect. Reasons for leaving and reasons for going, it does tell a lot. From political to weather, like minds draw like minds. It is interesting, not boring to some, I think you are just starting your period, 1/2 the time you want to go and 1/2 the time you want to stay as well Ponderosa.

Last edited by twiggy; 10-31-2010 at 10:14 AM..

Old 10-31-2010, 10:57 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
I know, I feel like we are a global warming experiment. lol
Hm, lets see how long they can last in this heat before they start to go crazy.

Well, I think "they" proved their hypothesis. The longer you stay in the desert, the crazier you get--kinda like Neil Young chanting about himself and the horse. Poor guy, nothing else to write about in the desert...Probably a dumb horse, too (I love animals, but had to throw it in).

Old 10-31-2010, 11:02 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,070 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice but I was just using Seattle as an example in an answer to another post. My sister lives up there and I am aware of the rain. lol
I was using it as an example for people who move here because they don't want snow and then later realize that we have emense sunshine, to the point where you have to cover up 1/2 the year and protect your skin. A lot more than they thought. It's easy to under estimate just how long our summers are. I mean look, it's starting Nov. and it will still be like summer anywhere else. It says fall everywhere, in the stores, tv, holidays, but outside it's still summer. I'm starting to want my activities and lifestyle to match the seasons. I know it sounds strange and it's not a deal breaker but it is starting to wear on me.
It's driving me a little batty lately.
Although she loves it and can't take the heat here, but I wouldn't go from one extreme to the other, I figure that would be a bad idea.
If you or others are looking towards the Pacific Northwest and want a true 4 season, then look on the east side of the Cascade mountain range. Bend Oregon, Klamath Falls, Spokane Washington, even Reno Nevada, areas like that. Warm summers, nice spring and fall weather with cool winters with a bit of snow now and then. If you go to the west side of the Cascades, it's rain all the time.
Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I don't yet live in Az. but it doesn't really matter. As I said in my previous post, I've been on the Oregon coast for 22 years and while I loved it at one time in my life, that no longer is the case for many reasons.
My point is that we as humans, seem to always desire what we can't have. There is always something better and that's what we seek.
Personally, I want some warmth and sunshine but I understand your desire to live amongst the green trees and 4 seasons. That's why I moved here originally. I grew up in So. Cal. and lived for a long time near Barstow. Not quite as hot as Pheonix but still dry and brown. I moved to the Pacific Northwest on a whim and I enjoyed it until a few years ago. I bet I'll tire of Pheonx in a few years or perhaps a decade later and I'll move on from there.
If or when I move to Az., I'm sure I'll enjoy the plentiful sunshine but after a while, I'm sure the heat will get tiresome as well.
It seems like we are never happy but that's one of the things that make life interesting.
The persuit of a happiness we may very well never totally find.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:17 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
A lot of what is on this thread as being wrong with PHX is just nonsense and/or grossly exaggerated by miserably bored people who need a change in scenery. The paradox of it all is evident in that you had to put up two threads. The bane of one person's existence is the twinkle in the eye of another. The two camps are not likely to come to agreement.

Some people just need a change in scenery. Some of those will be happy for a while, maybe permanently, in another place and others will realize what they lost and long to return. You won't know unless you go. If you hem and haw over it, the windows of opportunity inevitably close as situations change and ties bind more tightly. Eventually, you can't change the scenery no matter how bored you are by it. Then you start to rationalize, see the good that exists and learn to accept your fate. Most of us never get the chance to realize our dreams.
For two years I have known you to be moody, cranky, but often fair. However, how can you claim Phoenix area is a cesspool of humanity earlier in this thread, but then say that most posters complaints are nonsense and gross exagerations? What is yours? A critical analysis?

Old 10-31-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
For two years I have known you to be moody, cranky, but often fair. However, how can you claim Phoenix area is a cesspool of humanity earlier in this thread, but then say that most posters complaints are nonsense and gross exagerations? What is yours? A critical analysis?
It applies to me too. Gross exaggeration, though I do find it too crowded here for my tastes. I think I am one of the miserably bored. I find I dislike the place a whole lot less when I get off my duff and go do things. But I crave a change and appreciate that that sentiment is at the root of most of my discontent and remarks about cesspools, etc.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
And you are so miserably bored that you had to come over to this thread and tell us that?
We can be miserable here, want to move, and talk about it if we want! We are on topic, you are not.
Listen people, this thread is for people who WANT TO GET OUT OF HERE, if you cannot control your urges to come on here and tell us we are wrong then you are just as bored and waisting your time. These are our opinions, and those are not arguable. It's how we see it, Phoenix isn't for everyone and if that bothers anybody they need to start their own thread about it. I can see why they like it here, and hold no urge to get them to hate it, if they are happy then great! I am happy for them. It's nice to like the city you live in.
I DO have another thread on liking it here, but unfortunately it's not going as strong as this one. That isn't caused by anything but the lack of things to talk about on it. Feel free to get it up and rolling. I realize that not all people dislike it, and might want to share why they love it here free from people who interrupt them and tell them they are stupid for it.
Instead of saying something bad about us, go to the other thread and try and post the positive! It says something when you can't. It's not a positive spin on Phoenix to come over here and tell us we are lazy and stupid, that doesn't make Phoenix a better place to live, it just proves a lot of peoples points that want to leave.
The reason I put a choice is because there is choice, to have civil conversations instead of battles over opinions. To see just how one persons reasons for happiness can be ones for misery. Everything is like that, we are not stupid, we know, we don't need instruction from someone who should really care less.
Before I did this I had no idea that they would match up, I did it out of respect. Reasons for leaving and reasons for going, it does tell a lot. From political to weather, like minds draw like minds. It is interesting, not boring to some, I think you are just starting your period, 1/2 the time you want to go and 1/2 the time you want to stay as well Ponderosa.
Not sure what set all that off. My thought was that many people want to leave Phoenix because they are bored and/or crave change in their lives. They overstate the negatives to bolster the decision to leave. They seek and often receive affirmation from others doing the same thing. It happens on all of the forums including Phoenix. It's your thread I guess and to you that is off topic. So, I'll stay away from your thread from now on.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 10-31-2010 at 01:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area