Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:29 AM

894 posts, read 2,201,285 times

Advertisements

I recently moved back to Arizona in July, after getting out of the Army. I am originally from Buckeye, so I moved back here, unaware of exactly how bad the job market is.

My wife is full time school, and I start school (UTI) on November 15th. We have not been able to find work at all, and we are down to out last $1400 bucks.

Like I said, I am trainable. I am willing to travel from Buckeye up to a reasonable distance. I want to cap it at about 40 miles 1 way.

If anyone around here has a position available, or knows somebody looking for a guy, I am skilled in a lot of things, and I am trainable, and willing to work. I am skilled in Aircraft Maintenance mainly, but that is transferable to quite a bit of technical areas. If or anyone is interested in my skills and abilities, send me a message with email, and I will send a copy of my resume.

Thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 10:48 AM

418 posts, read 1,311,763 times
Not a good time to be looking for work without an education. You might not like it, but there is always sales jobs in the car business. The hours stink, but if you have a good product and know it well and come across trustworthy and helpful to people, you can make good money. I had never sold cars before and was totally busted about 10 yrs ago. Didn't even have a car. Went to work at local Honda Dealership and was averaging $4-5000 a month after a couple months. Made $8500 in my 6th month alone. Even got my friend a job there, taught him what he needed to know, and he was making $70,000 is 2nd year.

But you have to be a go getter, stay positive, and put in some long hours including weekends and many nights. Main thing though is you have to believe in your product. I was a Honda fan so found it easy to sell them. I tried selling Toyotas after that for a while and bombed out. Went back to Honda where I loved what I sold. I think I could only sell Hondas or BMWs. They are just special vehicles for those who are particular and enjoy driving.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:57 AM

I'll check out the Sales Dept at the dealerships off 107th. Thanks.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:25 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
Did you apply at the new Bealls store opening in Buckeye? - i know the applicant to job ratio wasn't favorable, but it could be something

maybe could get an "any job" at some of the new places that are being finished - i know there is a new gas station being finished and there is another truck stop type place planned out in buckeye

if you have a good MVR some of the delivery companies will be looking for seasonal help - if you can't drive for them, i know they also need help sorting packages, etc over the holidays ..... one of my buddies did this in PA a couple years back as supplementary income

i'd also look at the fulfillment centers in goodyear (Amazon & macys) ..... it's warehouse work, but I'd be surprised if they weren't looking to add over the winter

looks like Macys may have some new openings......

http://redstate.jobamatic.com/a/jobs...l-Goodyear,+AZ

Old 10-25-2010, 03:07 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,056,482 times
Have you tried this job search site? There are numerous sites to peruse........good luck!

Old 10-25-2010, 05:38 PM

418 posts, read 1,311,763 times
UPS and the Post Office hire for busy xmas season and they pay pretty good.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
Have you tried this job search site? There are numerous sites to peruse........good luck!
As a matter of fact, that is the main site that I use.

I applied at Petsmart online in Buckeye today. I hand delivered my Resume into the hiring manager. My sister also happens to work there, and is good friends with one of the Managers. I met him, talked to him a bit, so we will see how that goes.

I am still new at this game, but I am learning fast. I have quickly learned that it isn't what you know, its all about who you know. I have a friend who literally cannot read, has no education what so ever, and he keeps getting hired and fired from Palo Verde Nuke plant, because he knows people. I have tried to get in there, and I can't even get anybody to talk to me. So basically, this day in age, my Military background is almost every bit of worthless.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:35 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
I start school (UTI) on November 15th... and we are down to out last $1400 bucks.

Not to discount the gravity of your situation, but doesn’t the new GI Bill pay tuition and provide a living stipend?

Good luck

Old 10-25-2010, 09:07 PM

523 posts, read 937,112 times
The best advice I could give, is to be mobile and not tied down. Take temporary jobs, be flexible, and be on the lookout for non-traditional sources of income. It is likely to be rough for a long time, so plan ahead and stay frugal.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:14 PM

806 posts, read 2,340,874 times
What is bad, or was, about the GI bill, for me, was I had to pay part of my tuition AND buy my books for the quarter, then the GI bill would give me a monthly "paycheck" for going to school... I was dead broke after the first week of community college. I wish it were easier...
I also held a part time waitressing job at night in order to survive, not able to on the GIB....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area