Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:30 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PheenixJobless View Post
It depends who you around. There is quite a bit of history here, but there are people from a lot of places here.

Finding groups of people who you can be around is important.
Excuse me, but that's hardly profound advice, or unique to the African American experience. And what, precisely, do you mean by "history?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 08:33 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAirConcerns View Post
Hi Kimballette,

I don't understand. There are no studies or research done on my experience.
Then perhaps you will share, with specificity, your personal experience with the African American experience in Phoenix.

Last edited by Kimballette; 01-06-2011 at 10:30 PM..

Old 01-06-2011, 10:14 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
What a lot of people fail to consider is that Arizona doesn't have a prominent history of slavery and an economy that relied on slavery. It was not a member of the Confederacy and it doesn't have large population of African Americans to the point in which there were race and culture clashes for centuries.

These factors lead to to the negative race relations you see in many prominent Southern cities and I would include some Texas cities in that. I remember working in Dallas and Oklahoma City and I was surprised to hear so many people openly say "I'm not racist BUT I couldn't date a Black person because my family would kill me" I heard that all the time in the South. In Arizona, i see mixed couples fairly often. It's not as big of an issue here as it is in the South where mixed couples were relatively taboo and incurred a lot of stares and that kind of b.s.

People criticize Arizona for being so new and lacking culture. But in terms of racism, I think that's actually a good thing. We may not have a lot of culture and tradition but we also don't have a lot of negatives that come with that too. I think a lot of African Americans like that when they come to Arizona, because they feel they can start over because Arizona and Phoenix are so new in their development.
Very true. My wife and i travel all over this state. We've stayed in hotels and bed and breakfasts in several places...can't say that i've ever encountered any real racism anywhere i've been except once in Bullhead City, and that was actually no big deal once the situation got sorted out.

We're an interracial couple (i'm black..she's white), and again...our appearance rarely raises an eyebrow. My son lives in Flagstaff and he's never mentioned any racist incidents happening to him...and he'd tell me if they did.

Like i said in a previous post...this has traditionally been a live and let live state. Everyone here (mostly) came here from somewhere else and they don't want the same hang ups that they had back home.. And native Arizonans are generally indifferent to skin color seeing as how this state has had few blacks in its history.

As for Phoenix being racist (i saw a post on here where someone said that), i'd like to know where. LOL..i mean..Phoenix? Phoenix is about as laid back a city as you can find. If you can't get along with people there, you're going to have a problem ANYWHERE you go.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:57 PM

245 posts, read 545,535 times
I absolutely agree, I mean even with the anti-illegal immigration issues which unfortunately targets more the hispanic community, I myself as a Mexican born man I have not encountered any looks or rudeness or ect that I would think was due to race. I have had job interviews, got a second job, been pulled over, worked with clients and have had nothing but normal interactions with people. Most people seem pretty much open to whatever out here, its the politics that mess up AZ's image.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:47 AM

24 posts, read 87,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Very true. My wife and i travel all over this state. We've stayed in hotels and bed and breakfasts in several places...can't say that i've ever encountered any real racism anywhere i've been except once in Bullhead City, and that was actually no big deal once the situation got sorted out.
What was not a big deal and needed to be sorted out? That I would like to know as if it was a racist AZ moment, I think it would be salient for the discussion.

I know the whole idea, reason, and feeling behind this post is quell the idea that I (mixed race; black and white) would move here and feel totally disconnected and shunned. The reason that folks of color want to know if there are any other persons of color around means I wouldn't feel like the first and scrutinized for the color of their skin. Not that they are going to all hang out or have some central hub that they all report to... its just the idea that there are families, business owners (not just black "products" focused business), educators, really the full spectrum of life and community - just as whites would have (example only because the city is majority white and therefore the majority of services, professionals, etc will represent that)... and its less about things being equal or anything like that, but more about knowing there are no / less issues about one's color when it comes to fitting in... not sure if it makes sense... but I do understand the reason for this post and I have the same questions as someone pondering life as an Arizonian myself.

I have see racism as a kid and adult here in Chicago (Southwestern suburbs and Northern suburbs)... but have never really taken it to heart because the "good folks" always outnumbered the narrow-minded. Moving to a new city makes one think do the good ones out number the bad and therefore will I feel comfortable just being me... I like to hike and do all sorts of outdoors stuff, sure... but feeling like I am not welcome is something that folks of color do think about... I think that is what keeps lots of us from being more "outdoorsy"... but I digress.

It would be nice to hear what your incident was and how that has affected your view of the state and would that mean someone of color would fit in... and by that, as I've said, not like I would want a "people of color" welcome mat... but fitting in as being looked at as just a person... I think that is the core of what this posting was about.

Thanks!

Old 01-15-2011, 11:09 AM

20 posts, read 43,258 times
Interesting responses in this thread. I'd provide my perspective as a black male, but it looks like the OP is long gone. I wonder what she decided.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:53 PM

3 posts, read 16,171 times
Glad this thread was made I have a chance to move an work in the Chandler, AZ area an i'm a AA male

Old 01-17-2011, 10:03 AM

14 posts, read 88,598 times
I think this is a great place to live/relocate to! My sis-in-law is a single, AA female. She has done very well for herself out here. Is involved in her church. Has a ton of friends. Works for a bank...22 years now. Owns a home in a nice neighborhood. NEVER has had any issues. Has a great AA hairstylist too! The only thing I would suggest if you are only interested in dating within your race...you have to know the right places to go, or try online dating. Then again, online dating has really become a trend as I know two people just this year get married to people they met on dating sites. Good luck!

Old 01-17-2011, 10:35 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce81 View Post
I absolutely agree, I mean even with the anti-illegal immigration issues which unfortunately targets more the hispanic community, I myself as a Mexican born man I have not encountered any looks or rudeness or ect that I would think was due to race. I have had job interviews, got a second job, been pulled over, worked with clients and have had nothing but normal interactions with people. Most people seem pretty much open to whatever out here, its the politics that mess up AZ's image.
Agreed, I'm Hispanic as well. Even when 1070 was mentioned, I had many fears of being ostracized or harrassed and it hasn't been the case at all. I drive through a border patrol stop fairly often and am always treated with respect and I don't receive extra time being searched like I feared. In fact, half the Border Patrol I see are Hispanic.

Arizona's political image is vastly different from the reality. Even with the famous shooting of Giffords, most media assumed Tucson was just like Phoenix and grouped them together. Had they done their homework, they would have realized Tucson is very a liberal community. And the shooting itself revealed itself to not be politically motivated yet that didn't stop the state from taking a beating in the press.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:41 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecas29 View Post
What was not a big deal and needed to be sorted out? That I would like to know as if it was a racist AZ moment, I think it would be salient for the discussion.

I know the whole idea, reason, and feeling behind this post is quell the idea that I (mixed race; black and white) would move here and feel totally disconnected and shunned. The reason that folks of color want to know if there are any other persons of color around means I wouldn't feel like the first and scrutinized for the color of their skin. Not that they are going to all hang out or have some central hub that they all report to... its just the idea that there are families, business owners (not just black "products" focused business), educators, really the full spectrum of life and community - just as whites would have (example only because the city is majority white and therefore the majority of services, professionals, etc will represent that)... and its less about things being equal or anything like that, but more about knowing there are no / less issues about one's color when it comes to fitting in... not sure if it makes sense... but I do understand the reason for this post and I have the same questions as someone pondering life as an Arizonian myself.

I have see racism as a kid and adult here in Chicago (Southwestern suburbs and Northern suburbs)... but have never really taken it to heart because the "good folks" always outnumbered the narrow-minded. Moving to a new city makes one think do the good ones out number the bad and therefore will I feel comfortable just being me... I like to hike and do all sorts of outdoors stuff, sure... but feeling like I am not welcome is something that folks of color do think about... I think that is what keeps lots of us from being more "outdoorsy"... but I digress.

It would be nice to hear what your incident was and how that has affected your view of the state and would that mean someone of color would fit in... and by that, as I've said, not like I would want a "people of color" welcome mat... but fitting in as being looked at as just a person... I think that is the core of what this posting was about.

Thanks!
First of all, the incident he was talking about occurred in Bullhead City. You claim to be from Chicago. As a Chicago native, you are fully aware of how some of the small towns in Illinois are not so racially accepting. So why are you surprised that a person may have had an incident in Bullhead city. That's like saying one should be concerned with racism in Chicago because he experienced a racist event in Danville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area