Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 12:12 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMoveU View Post
From my experience, the best time to go scorpion hunting is after dark. Arm your self with a hammer and a battery-powered black-light (they glow with a greeny-yellowish flouresence). 99% of the scorpions I have tagged were on the exterior walls of my home and the fence.

They are tough little critters so whack 'em good!

Dont kill em. Theyre beneficial to have around. Would you rather have those, or black widows and roaches, both of which they eat? Grab em gently by the tail, with tweezers or forceps, (metasoma) and put them in a glass jar
and release them somewhere else. Heck, you can even sell them online. Try selling some on VenomList - For All Things Venomous, petbugs.com, Atshq.org, Arachnoboards - Powered by vBulletin, etc, etc.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:53 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,078,076 times
Call the exterminator in your area, give them your address and they will tell you if they get a lot of calls for Scorps. This has always been a part of my house hunting and I have yet to have a house with the little buggers. You will still need to have pest control here though. The bugs love the weather too, especially crickets and **** roaches and bees. If you have a pool, you'll get an idea of your bug population, they are dying of thirst here and will be all over that pool water. Are bugs are plenty but are not very large. Sort of small and fast. You won't see the skeeters until your bit.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:30 PM

35 posts, read 313,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Most chemicals are effective only if sprayed directly on the scorpion.
Some of the newer residual sprays work pretty well. I have found more dead or near death scorpions with the spray I am currently using (Cy-Kick) than with the spray I used before. A few of the neighbors have gone to this spray as well and they have seen a decrease in scorpion activity as well. I also use bug granules around the house but only when rain is expected. The stuff really only works well when washed in.

I also have some non-chem things I use. I use both diatomaceous earth and glue traps. Diatomaceous earth is only good when kept dry, so I only use it in the garage, patios, sliding door and window tracks. Glue traps are a must at the edges of the garage doors. Just expect to catch a lizard or two when you leave the doors up. Vegetable oil works to release them though.

Ed

Old 07-13-2007, 03:23 PM

202 posts, read 981,059 times
Default Scorpionacide

I would rather have black widows and roaches than scorpions. Black widows stay outside and in the garage, in their corners; they do not roam your kitchen floor. Plus, Black widows don't hide in your shoes.

Roaches are easily managed with regular Spectracide.

Anyone who says that a bee sting is the same as a bark scorpion has not been stung by a bark scorpion. Maybe a giant hairy, but not a bark.

To answer the original question:

I have found that scorpions are difficult to kill employing chemical warfare. However, I have heard good things about Cy-kick; I believe I am going to have to try it.

Scorpions are easily dispatched in a face-to-face showdown. The problem is when they get the drop on you. If you spot them first, it is very easy to get them before they get you. Make sure you have a fully functioning black light. I purchased mine at Spencer’s; it is battery operated and runs on 8 AAs. It serves it’s purpose, but it’s time has nearly passed. I just ordered this piece of hardware today:

United Nuclear - Rechargeable UV Light (http://www.unitednuclear.com/rechargeableuv.htm - broken link)

Don't bother trying to drown them, it doesn't work. Your two key methods of assassination should be either:
1. Compression
2. Heat

My most frequently deployed weapon is the bottom of my shoe. You can liquidate many scorpions quickly with this abundantly common tool, especially if you are light on your feet, or if you are wielding the shoe not on your foot, but with your hands. It is a rather banal approach to scorpion purge, but it is the most effective and simple.

Another of my regularly used compression tools is my "scorpion stick". This is a 2 foot long, 1 inch square piece of wood that I have used to bump off countless scorpions. It is especially useful for scorpions that are high on walls, or wedged in spaces you can't fit the tip of your toe (apply pressure with the corner of the stick, turn vigorously, then drag). I suppose if you are a contortionist, you could step on scorpions high on the wall; I, however, am not that limber. I use the stick.

I have heard of individuals using butane torches to slay scorpions. This is another on my list of tactics to try, but I have never used this technique myself. I have found that a regular butane lighter works alright, but you must be quick. As soon as the flame touches the scorpion, they are off to the races. You must corner them or overwhelm them with flame immediately. Once they reach an impasse, and you can apply continuous direct flame, they cook rather quickly. You know you are done when you hear the crackling of exoskeleton. They will also blacken.

On one occasion, I discovered a hole in the ground frequented by scorpions. Every time I approached, they would scurry into the hole. How to eliminate these scorpions? I simply poured a small amount of rubbing alcohol into the hole, with a short trail leading out, and then ignited the trail. *Poof*, no more scorpions in the hole. Be cautious with the rubbing alcohol system, if you make too liberal an application, you will also eliminate your eyebrows. Also, be advised, this is not a method that would be wise to implement on, say, the side of your house. Very bad things could happen.

Heed my advice. I have killed well over 250 scorpions in the last month.

I don’t really have a problem with scorpions. If my property abutted desert preserve, I would expect to have a few scorpions roam onto my property. I don’t live close to open desert, and my scorpion infestation is out of hand. I am tired of finding them in and around my house.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:59 PM

35 posts, read 313,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjimmy View Post
I have found that scorpions are difficult to kill employing chemical warfare. However, I have heard good things about Cy-kick; I believe I am going to have to try it.
Cy-Kick CS has worked very well for me and my neighbors. Previously I had been using Bifen for my exterminating needs. Bifen worked wonders on the crickets and other little critters but just wasn't doing the job on the scorpions. I believe Cy-Kick leaves behind a better residual barrier that the scorpions pick up as they crawl through it.

Ed

Old 07-13-2007, 06:58 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,445,057 times
A good discussion of cats vs. scorpions:

Cats Are Immune to Scorpion Venom - Do Cats Deter Scorpions

Old 07-13-2007, 07:33 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
I usually use Black Flag on the smaller critters. But I keep Easy Off oven cleaner around for the bigger ones, knowing thats the only thing that works on black widows, scorps and whatever other bigger creatures get in my way.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:37 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,034 times
One thing I was always told when in Texas, scorpions travel in pairs...if you find one, there probably is another not far away.

I always used a shoe AND remember that even once they are dead, you can still get stung by their stinger...at least thats what I was always told.

There is something evil looking about a scorpion.

I remember they used to fall in our pool in Texas and my Dad would fish them out because he said they could still sting someone even though they were dead. My Dad was born and bred in Texas so I just assumed that was right.

Check out this link for more information

Scorpions

This link suggests Boric Acid kills some of the insects that are related to the scorpion but I didn't read far enough to see if it kills the scorpion as well...someone test it out and let us know. I use Boric Acid in the garage for the wonderful Florida Palmetto bugs.

Boric Acid natural insecticide, Dry Rot treatment

Some of the pictures are giving me the creepy crawlys.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:06 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,611,388 times
::::scratching Arizona from list of possible states to relocate to::::

Old 07-13-2007, 09:28 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
::::scratching Arizona from list of possible states to relocate to::::
LOL @ YOU

Scratch of Texas as well...people actually will put dead scorpions in jewelry and belt buckles in Texas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area