Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 12:36 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,281,236 times

Advertisements

Is light rail right for South Phoenix?

A rather interesting article that appeared a day or two ago in the Republic. Light rail could be expanded into south Phoenix if there is enough demand for it. What bugs me about this proposal is: it was never included in the Prop 400 vote ... and the study will be funded by way of a Congressional earmark.

What I would rather see is progress on the westward expansion of the light rail line. The most feasible route would be along Washington/Jefferson to the Capitol, and then along I10. The I10 median would be a perfect location to put rail lines because it's wide enough, and there is currently nothing except dirt and a useless wire fence.

I realize there are some people who are flat out against light rail ... but whether we like it or not, the reason we have it in the first place was the majority of people voted for it (two separate times). Better this way than to be forced on us without a public vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 09:46 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,506,092 times
Imho, light rail extensions to the southern part of Phoenix would benefit the area, considering how many people there use transit.

I would like to see light rail extensions to the west valley too but the first priority should be to build the 801 Loop freeway, it would serve as a major traffic reliever to I-10.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:29 AM

3 posts, read 9,331 times
Considering that so few people use the thing as it is, it's hard to justify expansion on a financial basis. Which is a shame. The Phoenix Metro area is spread out, and has no real downtown business district. Light rail, or any form of public transportation, is a tough thing in that kind of geographic layout.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:40 AM

6,406 posts, read 8,998,042 times
The biggest problem with light rail is that it takes a long time to see all the benefits. Wherever the rail goes, things will get better. With all the money spent some people will be uneasy especially if they won't have immediate access. The major spots will always be the first places the rail is laid and it will expand. 10-20 years down the road everyone will love it if it continues to expand.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:06 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,208,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Dog View Post
Considering that so few people use the thing as it is
From everything I've read ridership is well ahead of what they had projected. I mean there are certainly other reasons (including financial ones) to question it but unless I'm mistaken passenger volume isn't one of them.

EDIT = 'tis, from http://ezinearticles.com/?Is-it-Worth-It?-Phoenix-Light-Rail-Ridership-Stats-in-the-First-Year&id=4011990 (broken link)
The weekday ridership projection at the first of the year was 26,000, and the actual came in at almost 35,000, which is almost a 34% increase. Saturday ridership was projected at a slightly lower 20,800; the actual was 27,662, which was an increase of 33%.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:10 PM

245 posts, read 545,836 times
The light rail is definitely a success, but honestly I dont think South Phx would be a good idea for a light rail extension. I would try to get it more into the westside and Scottsdale would be nice too if given a chance. There is a large population in the westside that would benefit from it and in Scottsdale it would just be a success with the tourists and ect. Running it through a rather depressed part of town is not wise imo. I mean besides Central and Broadway, I cant really think of a high business population area in S. Phx. I live in the East Valley but I think its time for the lr to go west.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:56 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
I guess it depends on what you want LR to be. If it is to be an economic stimulus and a means to cart affluent auto owners to entertainment magnets then it should not go to south Phoenix but link to Westgate and the ball parks, malls, trendy downtowns etc. If it is intended as a public transportation system for people who have fewer choices, the south Phoenix would be a good idea. I would bet my left earlobe that we will not be seeing light rail in south Phoenix any time soon. We all know why it is was built.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:55 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,522,077 times
The problem with the light rail is that ticket sales only cover about 25% of the annual operating costs. Will Phoenix raise the food tax to 4% or 5% to pay for the light rail operating costs? What would that do for the people it supposedly would help in south Phoenix? You'll have another transit option you may or may not (and most "may not") use, but your food will cost more because of it. That's really helping....
I agree with Ponderosa. The light rail, in my opinion, is more "to cart affluent auto owners to entertainment magnets" (and also their work) than anything else. I would like to see ticket prices raised so that the light-rail users are footing more of their fair-share of the bill. At that point we can start talking "expansion".

Old 12-29-2010, 07:53 PM

652 posts, read 2,713,677 times
I love the light-rail and use it frequently but I think the number one thing they need to do is increase the frequency of the trains.

Aside from that, I would like an extension west by the Capitol Mall, and possibly one out to the Stadiums in Glendale. I've never been to a Cards or Coyotes game because I don't want to pay for parking or have to be stuck in traffic or drive after drinking.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:56 PM

652 posts, read 2,713,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
The problem with the light rail is that ticket sales only cover about 25% of the annual operating costs.
You're just repeating the same tired argument that every NIMBY says, and I'll repeat the same tried argument in reply. Roads don't pay for themselves and gas taxes don't cover the costs. Transportation has always cost more than it brings in.

I'll 100% agree with you once every road is a toll road and is also self sustaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area