Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 09:44 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,160,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragally View Post
I used to think this was the greatest city in the world. That was in 1990 - 1993. I moved away for work and couldn't wait to get back here when I retired. Well I came back and bought a house right off the bat. Big mistake. The city has changed so much in the years gone by and I truley hate it here. When I left ,the city ended at Bell road and was a clean "town". Now it doesn't end and is very dirty and ridden with crime. Mexico has invaded us which is good or bad depending. The part that is not right is that they don't want to learn english and they turn the neighborhoods into "little Mexicos". They have made the push clear up to Bell and east into Scottsdale and just keep on marching north. I don't think it will stop til the whole valley is ruined. The drive by shootings are something to be proud of and the demonstrations enough to make you want to go Postal. I live in Black Canyon City so it's not bad yet but it will be. I'm just waiting for some ******* to buy my house and I'm outa here, if my wife will let me. Good luck if you move here. Personally I wouldn't want to raise a pet rat let alone a child here.
Sicerely
Ron

PS: Do yourself a favor and rent for a year or two before you buy. That way you won't be stuck trying to sell a house when you decide you have had enough.
Actually; things here have gotten better.

Our Employer Sanction Law along with Sheriff Joe, etc are really starting to run the illegal immigrants off------I live here so I can comment on it

I do agree that it was a lot nicer around here overall in the early 1990's.

That said: I do happen to like central Phoenix between Osborn and Dunlop-----maybe because is does resemble 'back east' with its mature trees, sidewalks, etc. Just that no snow makes it much better here------even with our summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 10:39 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,323,401 times
I moved to Phoenix back in the mid 80s. Its hard to explain - Phoenix was just a different place then. I have had more than 2 decades to become connected and build social netowrks. I've said it before, Phoenix is OZ to me but I will admit that there is no way I would want to be a newcomer here now - not a chance. Phoenix just isn't the place it used to be.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:20 PM

4 posts, read 12,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

Our Employer Sanction Law along with Sheriff Joe, etc are really starting to run the illegal immigrants off------I live here so I can comment on it

That said: I do happen to like central Phoenix between Osborn and Dunlop-----maybe because is does resemble 'back east' with its mature trees, sidewalks, etc. Just that no snow makes it much better here------even with our summers.
You are correct in saying that things have gotten better BUT things are no way close to being the way they used to be. Things have gotten better when compared to the way they were in Jan of 05 when I moved back.
Sherrif Joe for President is my take on it but the powers to be(mayor Gordon and the Dyke Janet N. will get him as they are already on the hunt and then it will quickly go back to the way things were before things got to where they are and........................... now I am confused but you get my drift. I still would not want to raise a child in this valley.

Anthor PS: I lived in Glendale back in early 90's and I liked it there very much but I don't even drive there now.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:07 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,673,894 times
Raising children here must be very difficult--to me there's little sense of community, which is what children (and adults) really need, plus the drug problems must be rampant here. I heard from a dental hygienist in Scottsdale that many teens in her daughter's Scottsdale HS are taking/experimenting with all sorts of drugs. And, alot of these drugs are nasty. She also said that alot of these teens had to have "designer" labels on their clothing or they'd throw a tantrum--most of the parents gave in, through guilt or to not wanting to hear it any more.
She told her daughter--throw a tantrum, but still no. She said the "value system" out here is messed up, too.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:25 PM

8,337 posts, read 13,474,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy38 View Post
This thread is funny... I felt that way about Calgary (Where I'm living the next 2 months) before I move to Phoenix.

I am prepared and will enjoy starting my life there. I'm 24 btw
Dang, somebody should warn Sheriff Joe about this new threat!!
He is getting rid of all the illegals from the South but how about the ones from the North?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

Most places I revisited appeared to have gotten bigger, more crowded and worse in some ways so as time goes by it will happen to every place.
OC, CA was very nice and affordable 15, heck even 7-8 years ago but now, it is very crowded and very expensive! It is the same place but at the same time not so, I guess the same happened in Phoenix. I only been here a year but so far it is not too bad. Once the job situations becomes more permanent, salary increase, etc. then I will have time till June 2009 to decide if I want to settle down here or not. I am fine with my life right now and if house prices come down a bit more, it will make the pricing range very comparable to TX imo and considering most IT jobs paying a little higher here, I just might buy a place here and settle down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Raising children here must be very difficult--to me there's little sense of community, which is what children (and adults) really need, plus the drug problems must be rampant here. I heard from a dental hygienist in Scottsdale that many teens in her daughter's Scottsdale HS are taking/experimenting with all sorts of drugs. And, alot of these drugs are nasty. She also said that alot of these teens had to have "designer" labels on their clothing or they'd throw a tantrum--most of the parents gave in, through guilt or to not wanting to hear it any more.
She told her daughter--throw a tantrum, but still no. She said the "value system" out here is messed up, too.
To me, it sounds like parents in Scottsdale have forgotten the power of a good .ss-whuppin'!

Old 05-26-2008, 06:54 PM

32 posts, read 74,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
You have obviously grown tired of the cold, dreary weather of Chicago ... but a lot of us here are equally as tired of the never ending sun, heat, and dry conditions, especially during the summer months. It all comes down to the fact that too much of anything becomes monotonous after a while. I'm sure you'll agree once you've had a taste of several Phoenix summers. The first year or so, most people find it pretty tolerable because of the dry air. However, after a few summers of CONSTANT sun & heat, most of us really become sick of it. The only nice thing about Phoenix summers is that relief is only about two or three hours away in the high country, where temps are in the 70s & 80s all summer long.

Basically, the weather/climate of an area should only be a small factor in why somebody wants to move. There are more important things to consider: jobs, cost of living, transportation, etc. Too many people relocate to the Phoenix area simply because of the sunny climate without considering the more important aspects. I find that too many of those transplants who love our sunshine often gripe about everything else, such as the traffic, schools, etc. It's all about learning to adapt!
Moved here in November, going back home this Saturday.

I agree too much of anything is bad, too many sunny days, too many hot days, too many people. (I will help out you natives who want everyone to leave )

Old 05-26-2008, 08:25 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,612,147 times
Quote:
Not just Phoenix...Watch this CBS Video

The Age Of The Millenials...
They are young adults and have been coddled by their parents to the point of being ill prepared for a demanding workplace. Morley Safer reports on the generation called "Millenials."

Old 05-26-2008, 08:39 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,160,885 times
Our parents said the same things about my generation: the Baby Boomers 35 years ago.

The more things change; the more they remain the same.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:55 PM

108 posts, read 305,983 times
WHATEVER IT IS, IT'S SURE BETTER THAN OKLAHOMA!!!

Old 05-28-2008, 05:51 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,415,234 times
Smile Please reconsider moving here

This is another good thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area