Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 02:35 PM

36 posts, read 303,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel87 View Post
For some great chain restaurants with only a few locations, Benihana, Maggianos, Buca di Beppo, Roy's Pacific Rim are all fun locations
Great places, especially Benihana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2006, 10:36 AM

153 posts, read 563,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel87 View Post
If you ever make it to scottsdale, here are a few things you should check out...
For other activities in and around Scottsdale I would be glad to help
Thanks, Steel. This is perfect! We will be staying in Scottsdale during our upcoming visit since hubby's business dealings are there, so we will be sure to check out some of these places, particularly Sauce, Crepes and Bakes, and the fabulous dessert places you listed. We are sushi lovers, just recently introduced to the pleasure, so it's good to know of some places to get a fix.

You mention local health food...where are the health food stores? I know of a couple Wild Oats, but anything in Scottdale area?

Old 08-30-2006, 12:20 PM

117 posts, read 416,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublet View Post
Thanks, Steel. This is perfect! We will be staying in Scottsdale during our upcoming visit since hubby's business dealings are there, so we will be sure to check out some of these places, particularly Sauce, Crepes and Bakes, and the fabulous dessert places you listed. We are sushi lovers, just recently introduced to the pleasure, so it's good to know of some places to get a fix.

You mention local health food...where are the health food stores? I know of a couple Wild Oats, but anything in Scottdale area?

Speaking of health food stores, have you been to that one in downtown Davidson. I can't remember the name but it's in that little mall before the park.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headed4nc View Post
Speaking of health food stores, have you been to that one in downtown Davidson. I can't remember the name but it's in that little mall before the park.
I think you may mean The Home Economist. I haven't been to the one in Davidson, but it is my favorite here in Charlotte. Also, two locations of Whole Foods Market are supposed to open here in Charlotte AND one in Scottsdale (Scottsdale Rd & Mayo, 50,000 sq. ft.) and Chandler (Ray Rd & Price Rd, 60,000 sq. ft.) I hear nothing but good things about this place. I can't wait!!

Old 08-30-2006, 10:34 PM

Quote:
I think you may mean The Home Economist. I haven't been to the one in Davidson, but it is my favorite here in Charlotte. Also, two locations of Whole Foods Market are supposed to open here in Charlotte AND one in Scottsdale (Scottsdale Rd & Mayo, 50,000 sq. ft.) and Chandler (Ray Rd & Price Rd, 60,000 sq. ft.) I hear nothing but good things about this place. I can't wait!!

I've been to whole foods in Tempe, I prefer Trader Joe's to those.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:52 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,823 times
I like Trader Joes better for regular foods stuffs (cereals, pasta, coffee, etc). Cheaper and just a good or better than Whole Foods. Yet, Whole Foods has a much better selection of fresh fruits, veg, and meats (fish, chicken, etc.). Whole Foods also have a great deli normally. Of course, it is more expensive.

There used to be a great Whole Foods close to where I used to live in Washington and I loved it. Miss that place.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
I like Trader Joes better for regular foods stuffs (cereals, pasta, coffee, etc). Cheaper and just a good or better than Whole Foods. Yet, Whole Foods has a much better selection of fresh fruits, veg, and meats (fish, chicken, etc.). Whole Foods also have a great deli normally. Of course, it is more expensive.

There used to be a great Whole Foods close to where I used to live in Washington and I loved it. Miss that place.

Henry's Farmers Market and Sprouts are pretty good for organic produce and non organic.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Thank you, thank you, thank you for some solid leads on finding good stuff in the Phoenix area. I understand I may need to plan for a 1-2 hour trek across the city from where I'll be to get to some good stuff, but it is reassuring to know there's SOMETHING there, if only a small oasis.

I’m afraid we’ll just be missing First Friday when we visit this time since our flight is a late one. But we will be sure to check it out when we can plan for it. Assuming you weren’t joking about being cool enough … I’m NOT really interested in being IN the places that are "too cool" for the masses. Such pretentiousness and snobbery is a turn-off. Besides, I reject standards that are imposed by some elite minority. That stuff is ego-driven, power-over BS that feeds off of making others feel less than. I’m not into it, so if that’s the only good stuff Phoenix has, I guess I’ll need to prepare to be thirsty for the next 4 years.
Thanks for the welcome. I may take you up on more recommendations. I appreciate the list!

If you are moving to the west side check out downtown Glendale for some quaint ma and pa places, Murphys is one of them. Nice little antique shops and festivals. I would not go so far to try to compare it to Davidson, being Davidson is truly unique but you may find some small places there to your liking. They are also revamping it with condos and lofts etc. I'm not sure of the time frame for all this but it's in the works. At Christmas they have it all decorated and have a parade and in the Fall they have a festival. As cute and nice as these events can be and even though a lot of security will be there, just be aware of your surroundings. The immediate area is not the best as far as crime but well worth checking out the cafes, shops and festivals.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:58 AM

Wow! Phoenix has tons of health food stores. I had no idea. Here in the Charlotte area, the 8 or so health food stores are all independently owned. They are small with a focus on individual customer attention, but with that comes limited inventory and selection. (Although they are usually happy to special order.) Whole Foods will be the first national chain health food store in Charlotte, so it's good to know there will be no shortage of organic choices in the Phoenix area. I checked out the websites for Trader Joe's, Sprout's, & Henry's Farmer's Market and I like what I see.

Do any local grocery stores offer organics? What about open-air farmer's markets where local farmers sell their goods (produce, eggs, butter, flowers, honey, that sort of thing)?

Old 08-31-2006, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headed4nc View Post
If you are moving to the west side check out downtown Glendale for some quaint ma and pa places, Murphys is one of them. Nice little antique shops and festivals. I would not go so far to try to compare it to Davidson, being Davidson is truly unique but you may find some small places there to your liking. They are also revamping it with condos and lofts etc. I'm not sure of the time frame for all this but it's in the works. At Christmas they have it all decorated and have a parade and in the Fall they have a festival. As cute and nice as these events can be and even though a lot of security will be there, just be aware of your surroundings. The immediate area is not the best as far as crime but well worth checking out the cafes, shops and festivals.
Thanks!! LOVE that kind of stuff. Will definitely explore Glendale. And thanks for the heads-up on safety.

Are you headed for Davidson, NC? When we were looking to buy a home about 10 years ago, we considered Davidson because of the very quaint, hometown feel to historic downtown and the old bungalows and farmhouses for sale in the area. But the commute to Charlotte was just too much for our tolerance, so we found a good second choice right outside Charlotte uptown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area