Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 04:34 PM

222 posts, read 581,397 times

Advertisements

Well.. whole AZ is very conservative.. Gilbert is full of Mormons and similar.. Mesa may be ok, but too trashy.. I would say Tempe will be the best for you. Scottsdale.. may be it is better then Gilbert-Chandler but overprice.. Overall AZ is too religious so G&L not welcome here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 05:55 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
Much of what is being said is generalized speculation.

There is a gay family in our community in Gilbert. They are well respected and participate in community activities. One is a good friend of mine.

No matter what one's sexual preferences is, it's how a person interacts with others that is important, and it's that interaction that commands respect or disrespect.

There are also interracial families here.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:56 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.leviman View Post
Overall AZ is too religious so G&L not welcome here.
whoa....not true at all!!!.....gross generalization!!.....

7th Ave and Indian School may be a good 'hood for the ladies and their child.....and Tempe used to have a gay mayor.....

but, yeah, a few eyebrows may be raised in areas of Chandler!

Old 03-23-2011, 06:30 PM

51 posts, read 118,241 times
Quote:
Well.. whole AZ is very conservative.. Gilbert is full of Mormons and similar.. Mesa may be ok, but too trashy.. I would say Tempe will be the best for you. Scottsdale.. may be it is better then Gilbert-Chandler but overprice.. Overall AZ is too religious so G&L not welcome here.
Whoa dude. Too many general statements here.

Mesa isn't trashy. I'd know, I live here. I also know a very lovely lesbian couple with a pre-teen daughter that live here in Mesa and they do just fine.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:27 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
I think that's way too broad a statement. And, Arizona is not particularly "religious". I don't have statistics, but suspect that the percentage of unchurched, combined with those who attend religious services only occasionally, is either a majority or a significant minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
BTW, I'm straight but lived in San Francisco so I think I might know what kind of area would work. I would say most definitely NO to Gilbert, Chandler and Mesa. I don't know the west side well so cannot comment.
And you would say no to Chandler why?

Old 03-23-2011, 11:19 PM

24 posts, read 41,785 times
Gilbert/Chandler would probably be the worst place for the OP due to the high levels of conseratives and mormons in the area. Best bet is Tempe.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:37 PM

568 posts, read 1,206,499 times
Here in Coronado Historic District...downtown Phoenix. Lots of lesbians, lesbian community, and couples. You'll feel very welcome here; great friendly neighborhood...people smiling at each other. Tempe is also fine if it must be the East Valley, but I sense that the GLBT community here is even stronger. Just my opinion.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:04 AM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,225,546 times
Look at this map regarding support for the recent gay marriage ban:

http://www.azcentral.com/ic/pdf/1111samesex-map.jpg

It may help you gauge the general attitude with some precision. Unfortunately, you'll likely lose the marriage benefits your home state gives you now.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:22 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post

And you would say no to Chandler why?
Because Tempe or the historic district would be better choices.

I lived in Chandler and was not impressed. There is one cute square but that's about it. I'm not into malls and chain restaurants and one is not going to find as much of that in Tempe or in Phoenix around the areas I know but don't know all that well. I do hear about them advertised on my liberal radio station and they are locally owned and more mom and pop, hence more interesting IMO. And the houses in that area are older and some are really nice along Palm Avenue or Street.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:30 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Because Tempe or the historic district would be better choices.

I lived in Chandler and was not impressed. There is one cute square but that's about it. I'm not into malls and chain restaurants and one is not going to find as much of that in Tempe or in Phoenix around the areas I know but don't know all that well. I do hear about them advertised on my liberal radio station and they are locally owned and more mom and pop, hence more interesting IMO. And the houses in that area are older and some are really nice along Palm Avenue or Street.
The o/p asked specifically about areas of the valley to live peacefully as a lesbian couple with a child. She didn't ask for anyone's opinions about malls, chain restaurants, or what you find more "interesting." You're veering way off topic. Please limit your comments to what the person actually asked about, rather than your opinions about other topics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area