Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:22 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,356,109 times

Advertisements

The first time I came to Phoenix, I was visiting a friend. It was late June, and just starting to get hot (30 + years ago). . . . . my friends took up the apache trail, and on into Payson, Pine and Strawberry, and I remember being amazed at "snow in June" in the high country. I fell in love with the natural desert, and decided to move here when I got the chance. . . .. 7 or 8 years later I did just that. . . .the first summer was spent letting the chill of a Chicago winter get out of my bones. . .subsequent summers have been getting hotter ever since. . . .I think, literally, as well as figuratively. . . . . .just retired (from an outdoor job), and really enjoying my first summer spending most of time in the AC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 09:33 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,028,327 times
Maverick I am still in Oregon and look forward to leaving. Nice people here and whatever, but the rain is getting on my nerves, been here about seventeen years and it's get very old. Started raining last Oct and we are just now getting sunshine at the end of June, temps might even get into the eighties this weekend

I was thinking either AZ, TX or FL...I had the same expereince the few times I stayed in Phoenix area..Glad its going well for you

Old 07-01-2011, 08:16 AM

42 posts, read 161,989 times
I too enjoyed your post. I also liked hearing your comparisons to Oregan. I have been here just over 8mths, it was a bumpy start but we are enjoying AZ.

From your points, we have found there are bugs, but it's not a big deal in our experience. We have disappointed a few exterminator companies by telling them, NO our neighbours do NOT use you or other companies, so bye bye!

We moved from the UK, so no one back there believed us when we said we were cold in Dec/Jan and were searching for our jumpers!

I am glad to hear you find the drivers are not too bad, the worst time I hate it is always doing an airport run, and then bad drivers seem to pop up all at the same time!

If you exercise, you will see sweat! I prefer this type of heat to the heat of when I lived in Asia and everyone had the damp clothes look and nothing could be done about it!
The bit I dislike most about the heat, is getting into a hot car. I have heard one can get an auto start for the air con, but I have no idea how much they cost or if it's really worth it. I tend to get shocks off the car a lot or if I am grocery shopping which I don't find much fun, and my preschooler glares at me when we shock each other, (as if I do it deliberately?!)

Some communities have more grass than others, where we are there are lots of green grassed parks. Infact the property we are renting, they did a bad job of winter seeding, so I have had all year round cutting of lawns, not my greatest joy I will say.

Yes, house prices are great! This is one of our bonuses coming from Europe where prices for houses, one gets more for your money here. I love House Hunters International. Americans to Europe, "it's kinda small", next room "it's kinda small" - get the picture.

True, you don't need a clothes dryer. Bear in mind many HOAs wont let clothes hung out unless hidden from the rest of the world, but to be honest I manage just fine without a dryer and a laundry room. Keeps the electric down.

People being nice? I couldn't honestly say this was the case when we moved here. I found people horribly rude, and with a school aged child, his transition was painful to watch at times. Kids can be ghastly to each other at times. Given time, we have met some really nice people (as I knew we would, just a case of time and patience.)

Also because we have that level of having made an international move, I am sure we are the only people who think in AZ "cheap fuel, cheap fuel!!" Imagine going from about $9 a gallon to what it is now! On the other side to that car insurance . It was more like under $20 a month for my car in the UK (fully covered.)

There are things that bug me (wherever I live it happens) and may do you, given some time, but overall we find as a family, our time just fine here

Old 07-01-2011, 09:16 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
I remember coming to Phoenix the first time as well. Like any new resident, I was warned of the heat and terrified of the idea of a 100 + degrees. Then I remember walking outside to lunch one day in June. My colleague was with me and he said "What do you think of this?" And I said "It's hot" And he said what do you think the temperature is? And I said "95?" He responds "It's a 107 right now, this is the heat that everyone is so afraid of" For me, I realize the heat is just a number on a dial, in terms of how it feels, it felt like a really hot day 95-99 in a city with humidity. Sure, it's not fun but it wasn't agonizing and as dramatic as people made it sound and it was far better than any winter I've been through.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:18 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
I agree mostly. The heat is not that bad, compared to having to live in a cold, damp climate most of the year. The city is very (very) clean. I'm afforded the opportunity to travel around the country quite a bit, and I am fortunate for that, because I'm frequently reminded how crappy a lot of other cities are. A lot of whining comes from newcomers who aren't used to the differences in Phoenix, and from old timers who don't get out of the city enough anymore, to realize what the rest of the country is like. Arizona, and Phoenix in particular, are not perfect, but all things considered, it's my opinion that we have it much better here than a lot of other places.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:35 PM

23 posts, read 48,449 times
I've lived in the phoenix area, new york city, philadelphia, chicaco, and florida. As soon as I retire from NYPD it's back to Scottsdale!!! ... and of course, Pepe's Taco Villa on W Camelback, one of my favorite mexican joints. No or very few flies, mosquitos, gnats etc. Great sunsets. Hiking Camelback and Squaw Peak. It ain't perfect, but that magical place doesn't exits except in the movies.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:16 PM

643 posts, read 1,394,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
For those folks that are thinking of moving here, I have made some observations that I'd like to share. Keep in mind that these are just things that I personally have noticed. Nothing scientific. Just my personal observations.
Also, for frame of reference, I just move from the Oregon Coast. I've lived in Oregon since 1988. It was generally cold, very humid, the town I lived in averaged 119 inches of rain per year and we generally don't see temps above 50 during the winter and much more than about 65 during summers.
I didn't plan to move here at the start of summer but I couldn't dictate when my house sold. I got here Sunday (6-19-2011).

1.) It really is a dry heat.
It's true. I have driven around in a car that has no A/C in 110 degree heat and it wasn't that bad at all. I wouldn't want to run a marathon in it but it was very tolerable. I'm staying at my brothers place in east Mesa until I can find a house and a few days ago his swamp cooler went on the fritz so I got on the roof to repair it when it was 113 degrees. I was up there in the direct sun for maybe 45 minutes and it was very tolerable. I was fine.
On the rare occasions that it would hit 90 in Oregon with all the humidity, you would feel like it was hell on earth. Here, 90 is awesome. Add in a pool and it's a little slice of heaven.
With A/C everywhere and also in your vehicle, you'll have no problem with the heat if you remember what made you so miserable back in your home state.
lol I was in denial my first AZ summer too
2.) The roads are not only in spectacular shape, they are HUGE except in the new developments. At least in the east valley. Very well thought out if you ask me. Almost every major road is 3 lanes on each side. So large in fact that at many intersections, there are two stoplights because the road is divided. 3 lanes on each side. One stoplight in the middle and one on the far side. Kind of hard to explain but you'll see what I mean.
The freeways are also excellent. 5 and 6 lanes each way, 65 mph in most cases and little to no graffiti at all. I'm impressed.
I agree at least in the developed areas
3.) Mesa has no street lights on residential streets. At least not where I've seen.
I don't know if that's good or bad.
Aside from extension and 8th street I havnt seen any either

4.) NO BUGS!!!!
Really!!! There are no bugs here. I can have the porch light on and there are no flies, nats, and few if any moths. If I left my porch light on in Oregon, you almost can't enter the house they are so thick.
Unless you move to an area with farms and ranches around. I learned that the hard way. My family is consistently mauled by mosquitos and I have killed 36 scorpions, 3 vinegaroons and countless other horrible creatures. However when we lived in Phoenix we rarely saw bugs.

5.) 78 degrees is almost cold.
Weird to say but I woke up this morning and it was 78 outside and I got goose bumps. Granted it didn't last long but 80 or 90 here is awesomely comfortable. Even 100 is very doable sitting on your porch or doing stuff outside.
I think that its your body adjusting a bit. coming off of winter that first 80 degree days feels hot to me but after a few 110 days 80 almost gives me a chill
6.) Swamp coolers are great but I haven't experienced the monsoon season yet. I hear a swamp cooler doesn't work well when the humidity gets above about 30% or so but when the humidity is low, it keeps my brothers place a full 30 degrees cooler than the outside temp. As I write this, it's 114 outside and the interior of this place is a very comfortable 85 degrees.
eeeeeeek thats terribly uncomfortable for me. I keep mine at 70 and turn it down to 65 when i go to bed
7.) The drivers aren't anywhere near as bad as other places I've been.
I've been driving around the east valley for 10 days now and it appears the drivers aren't any worse than other places I've been. Perhaps I've been lucky so far. The worst I've experienced is a guy driving a pickup far too slow on a two lane road with no passing and a few people wouldn't let me in a lane but that's typical anywhere.
LOL you should see when the snowbirds are here

8.) The desert isn't the barren wasteland many on this forum make it out to be.
Not a wasteland at all. I've got a beautiful view of the Superstition mountains, lots of wildlife around as well.
amen. but I do miss forested areas

9.) Sunblocker is my friend.
I went to the pool the first day I was here. Being just a pastey white guy and living in Oregon for so long, you can imagine how pale I am. I was at the pool for about 20 minutes the first day. First thing I bought the 2nd day before going to the pool was sunblock.
I feel your pain their. be sure to wear spf 50 or higher

10.) Fruit and veggies are much cheaper here in most cases. Much fresher and sweeter as well.
Watermelon 19 cents per pound
Cantelope 3 for a dollar
Strawberries 3 baskets for a buck
whole Pineapples 99 cents each.
In Oregon that stuff is at least 3 times as much. Strawberries on sale were 2 baskets for $5.00 and cantelope was $2.99 a pound. A single cantelope would cost you 4 bucks.
We have the absolute sweetest corn too.

11.) There are dollar stores EVERYWHERE.
Its great aint it?

12.) I don't sweat here.
The humidity so far is so low that you don't sweat even when it's sizzling outside. I don't sweat except for the bottoms of my feet. why is that?
Drink LOTS of water.
You do sweat. most of it evaporates before you notice.

13.) There is almost no grass here. Green trees? Yes, but no grass.
At least not much in the Mesa area.
I miss grass, gravel is ugly.

14.) There is free TV here. lol.
REALLY..... I can hook up old fashioned rabbit ears and get quite a good selection. I was paying $70.00 a month for sat tv in Oregon and it sucked huge. I get better quality shows on the channels I get for free.
That is awesome! I got sat installed in living room but other rooms have the converter box. If it wasn't for the wife and kids I wouldn't have even that.

15.) Where did all the palm trees come from?
Just curious.
They came from nurseries

16.) Who was Jacob Waltz?
Find out. Google him. Interesting story.
The lost duchman of the superstitions. I have a book about him. If i ever dig it out I'll give you the title.

17.) The Superstition mountains are incredibly beautiful and I can't figure out why they are so inspiring......
I agree. just wait til you see them covered in snow.

18.) Swap meets are cool....
Try the mesa market place swapmeet on signal butte and baseline. its the largest swapmeet I have ever seen

19.) [great list otherwise, but consumer complaints are not allowed on the forums]
Moderator cut: snip
20.) Cactus are really neat.
I never knew there we so many varieties. There are a gozzillion different kinds.i guess i just got used to them

21.) Housing prices are incredibly low right now.
That's a great thing for me at least. I'm hoping to buy something cash and I've seen some incredible buys.
I'm not rich by any definition but I have tons of choices in the sub 100K range. I'm pretty happy about that.
Thats what keeps me here

22.) Real mexican food.
Enough said.
If housing wasn't cheap than this would keep my here too

22.) As far as I can tell at this point, the RE agents I've met so far are either not the brightest bulb on the tree or lazy.
Is there one RE agent that has not only the ability to take my money but has the willingness to actually earn their commision? I've not found it so far. Why is that? Could it be that the commisions on a sub 100K house just isn't worth their time or maybe I'm just too picky?
Frustrating.
( present company excluded Capt. Bill) I should have contacted you first.
They all suck

23.) You can't have enough flip flops.
+1 got my quicksilvers

24.) Get a good pair of sunglasses. You'll never regret it.
+1 got my raybans

25.) You'll get cold for just a minute when you get out of the pool even if the temp is 110. Too wierd.
unless its humid surprisingly.

26.) You don't need a clothes dryer here. You might want one but you don't need one. Hand something outside for about 10 minutes and it's dry as a bone.
really beneficial for pool towels
27.) 70 is cold here.
I left the cooler on last night and when I woke up this morning it was 70 inside the house. It was freezing my butt off. Really cold. I had to step outside to warm up. Go figure......
its your body adjusting once again
28.) The sunrises and sunsets are inspiring.
The sun totally looked like from lion king when it was setting last night. beautiful.
29.) You can't have enough ice.
+1 mcdonalds sells 2 bags for 1.50

30.) I don't drink much coffee here.
I drank coffee all day long in Oregon. A couple of cups in the morning and it's icewater the rest of the day here in Az.
I became addicted to Monster Energy. nice cold and delicious

31.) Overall, people are really nice here.
Reading on these forums would lead you to believe there are horrible drivers and just plain mean people here. I haven't found that to be the case at all.
+1
32.) To the guy selling tamales in the Safeway parking lot that says he is homeless and needs the money? You might try selling them from something other than your CADILLAC ESCALADE.
LOL no doubt hahahahaha. If you ever find a mexican lady selling tamales you should buy some. delicious

33.) Note to self.
Oh, sorry. It's a private note.
heeeeeeeeeeey

These are but a few of the many wonderous things I've noticed since I've been here. I'll update this as things come up.
Dude that took me like 20 minutes lol

Last edited by Kimballette; 07-01-2011 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: Discussing moderation in the forum is not permitted.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:43 AM

12 posts, read 45,093 times
Thanks for your input! We are moving early 2012 and are so excited and your post makes me feel more at ease

Old 07-02-2011, 09:38 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovegun View Post
Keep in mind the OP has only been here ten days. Try living here for years and your opinions may change quickly. I disagree with a lot of what OP has said.

110 isn't 'bad', 78 degrees is cold, "don't sweat here" and drivers aren't bad here <-- Disagree.
I certainly respect your opinion and after living here for a few years, I might agree with you but coming from a much cooler, far wetter climate, I'm thrilled so far but if I had to work 8 hours a day in the direct sun, I probably wouldn't care for that I'm sure.
Right now I'm happy with everything because I still have the recollections of how things were for me in Oregon.
Please understand that I absolutely loved Oregon but the one thing that makes Oregon so beautiful is also the same thing that limits how much you can enjoy the natural beauty of the place. RAIN AND LOTS OF IT. 300+ days of cloudy weather. If I was comparing Phoenix metro to someplace other than Oregon, perhaps I might have a different viewpoint but for me, compared to Oregon, I'm absolutely 100% thrilled to be here. I hope I feel the same way in 5 or 10 years but for right here, right now, I'm excited about the place.
When I first started looking for a new place to live, what got me going on the Phoenix metro area was a good friend of mine. Great guy. I grew up with him. Known him all my life. He works at the Porsche dealer in Scottsdale and he has lived in Mesa since 1993. I called him one day to ask how he likes the Phoenix area and I'll never forget his response which led me to this place I now call home. He said "moving here is the best thing I've ever done in my life. I'll never live anywhere else." He wasn't talking about his home, he was talking about the Phoenix area and I trust his opinion implicitly.
So far, I agree with him. Time will tell but for the here and now, I'm excited to be here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Every day in sunny Arizona is like a vacation.

Anyway, the thread is about Mav's impressions after 10 days, not ours after 10+ years. After that time, the bloom is going to be off the rose with just about anything. The first few days/weeks in a new area is always a time of discovery and exuberance. Don't be raining on his parade.
Thanks Ponderosa but nobody can rain on my parade unless I let them. If I listened to a people on this forum that hate everything about living here, I wouldn't have come. It's kind of like the judging at the olympics. Toss out the best and the worst and listen to the opinions in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Great thread! I guess I'm not so crazy when I've been saying these same things for 3 years now. Welcome OP!
Nope, not crazy at all and I'm really happy to hear that you feel the same after 3 years. That's the real test. If I can still feel excited about this place in a few years. I hope so and frankly, I think I will considering what my life was like in Oregon. There is no comparison between the two.

Quote:
I've lived here for much longer than 10 years and I agree with the OP 100% and still feel the same way.

To others reading, keep in mind what types of people these forums attract. In other words, think about feedback in general. How often does someone rush to provide positive feedback? Think about it, what motivates you to provide feedback more, a great experience or a negative one? If they are unhappy they complain. A lot of people search for forums like this to complain. This forum is not representative of the Phoenix metro. People are generally happy here. City Data is like any feedback forum. Many people come here to complain thus providing a skewed and false impression of the Phoenix metro. It's people like the OP who want to provide a more accurate view since they arrive here getting a negative impression of Phoenix and realizing the reality is far different.
Exactly! If I listened to the general views on this forum about the crime, crappy weather, kidnappings, horrible drivers, corrupt politicians, immigration policies, sheriff Joe, bla, bla, bla, I'd have easily looked elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
We also visited Apache Lake this spring. Your "WOW" description isn't good enough. It deserves something like "AMAZING"!

I had positively no idea this area was that impressive. I was simply told I was going to a lake where we were going to rent a pontoon. Now I know something about lakes (we have 10,000 of them in MN). I pinched myself about 30 times during that stunning drive.
Yes, that is an amazing drive and an incredible area. We (it feels strange that I now include myself in the "we" of the Phoenix metro area.) are incredibly lucky to have so many lakes and rivers considering this is a desert.
I'm a big fisherman. When I took that drive last Wed. I was absolutely amazed that there was almost nobody on any of those lakes considering it was so hot. I still have to go back to Oregon to get my truck and boat but I can't wait to wet a line in one of those lakes. I can't imagine getting on the water before sunrise with the temps in the 70's or 80's. That's going to be awesome. I'm sure I'll post something about it when the time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
Maverick I am still in Oregon and look forward to leaving. Nice people here and whatever, but the rain is getting on my nerves, been here about seventeen years and it's get very old. Started raining last Oct and we are just now getting sunshine at the end of June, temps might even get into the eighties this weekend

I was thinking either AZ, TX or FL...I had the same expereince the few times I stayed in Phoenix area..Glad its going well for you
JohnPaul, it sounds like you are as tired of the rain as I was. Oregon is absolutely breathtaking. Awesome state but I could never get past all the rain and gloomy weather. It was depressing me to the point of exhaustion. In my case, my wife passed away at the age of 38 a few years ago, my kids are grown and on their own so I was pretty much by myself. I was fine with Oregon when the family was around but once I was by myself, the weather finally broke my spirit. I had to get out.
I can honestly say this. Even if you don't tolerate the heat as well as I appear to be doing, you can still be very happy here. The reality is that you go from an air conditioned car to an air conditioned home or to an air conditioned cafe or office. Anywhere you go has air conditioning so you'll almost always be comfortable. The only way the heat would be intolerable at times would be if you had an outside job 8 hours a day during the afternoon. It has been well over 110 the last few days an while the late afternoons are truly hot, the mornings and evenings are heavenly. I woke up this morning at about 6:00 am, grabbed a cup of coffee and watched the sunrise. It was 83 degrees according the the thermometer.
I haven't worn pants or shoes in the two weeks I've been here so far. Shorts and flip flops is the norm around here. I really like that. No bundling up just to go get the gallon of milk you forgot to pick up. Just grab the keys and go.

Quote:
I remember coming to Phoenix the first time as well. Like any new resident, I was warned of the heat and terrified of the idea of a 100 + degrees. Then I remember walking outside to lunch one day in June. My colleague was with me and he said "What do you think of this?" And I said "It's hot" And he said what do you think the temperature is? And I said "95?" He responds "It's a 107 right now, this is the heat that everyone is so afraid of" For me, I realize the heat is just a number on a dial, in terms of how it feels, it felt like a really hot day 95-99 in a city with humidity. Sure, it's not fun but it wasn't agonizing and as dramatic as people made it sound and it was far better than any winter I've been through.
I agree. 100 feels like about 75 where I'm from in Oregon. 110 feels like about 85 or so. Maybe 90.
One thing I've noticed is that even if the temps are soaring, in the shade it's all good. Step out in the sun a few feet away and it feels way, WAY hotter.
One thing I would like to mention is that so far I've experienced heat up to 117 for a few days and it's supposed to be sizzling again today. That is definately hot but not as unbearable as I thought it would be. Somewhat unpleasant for sure but I went to the pool. Talk about refreshing. A pool made all the difference to me on those days. Without the pool when it's that hot and I probably wouldn't have cared for it but add a pool in the mix and it's awesome.
Talking to friends back in Oregon and I tell them the temps here and they think I'm crazy. They just don't get what I'm telling them. You can't undestand unles you experience it first hand. The heat doesn't feel on your body as hot as the thermometer says it is in reality. It cracks me up when I talk to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdavis View Post
Thanks for your input! We are moving early 2012 and are so excited and your post makes me feel more at ease
Thank you. I hope you will be as thrilled as I am so far. This place isn't perfect but definately has a lot to offer compared to other places.
Today is a good day for me. My offer on a house was accepted. Closing on the 15th of July.
It's on 1/3 of an acre in a cul-de-sac, pool, 2 car garage, HUGE master bedroom, huge living room, an Arizona room overlooking the diving pool, outdoor covered BBQ area, RV parking, good neighborhood, close to freeways and shopping and a lot more and all for less than 75K. It needs a lot of work but being a contractor, I think I can handle it.
75K for all that. Tell that to people almost anywhere else in the country and they would think you're making up a story. My friends in Oregon think I'm buying into a meth filled, criminally ridden, drug infested dump. The reality is that it's a nice house in a decent neighborhood. Close to the hills in east Mesa with views of the Superstition mountains. They don't get it. The think anything that is 75K MUST be either a dump or in a horrible area or both.

Last edited by maverick974; 07-02-2011 at 10:28 AM..

Old 07-02-2011, 09:47 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,455 times
Hmm, it's 8:45 right now and the thermometer outside on porch says it's already 112. Today might be the real test. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area