Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 09:06 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,455 times

Advertisements

For those folks that are thinking of moving here, I have made some observations that I'd like to share. Keep in mind that these are just things that I personally have noticed. Nothing scientific. Just my personal observations.
Also, for frame of reference, I just move from the Oregon Coast. I've lived in Oregon since 1988. It was generally cold, very humid, the town I lived in averaged 119 inches of rain per year and we generally don't see temps above 50 during the winter and much more than about 65 during summers.
I didn't plan to move here at the start of summer but I couldn't dictate when my house sold. I got here Sunday (6-19-2011).

1.) It really is a dry heat.
It's true. I have driven around in a car that has no A/C in 110 degree heat and it wasn't that bad at all. I wouldn't want to run a marathon in it but it was very tolerable. I'm staying at my brothers place in east Mesa until I can find a house and a few days ago his swamp cooler went on the fritz so I got on the roof to repair it when it was 113 degrees. I was up there in the direct sun for maybe 45 minutes and it was very tolerable. I was fine.
On the rare occasions that it would hit 90 in Oregon with all the humidity, you would feel like it was hell on earth. Here, 90 is awesome. Add in a pool and it's a little slice of heaven.
With A/C everywhere and also in your vehicle, you'll have no problem with the heat if you remember what made you so miserable back in your home state.

2.) The roads are not only in spectacular shape, they are HUGE except in the new developments. At least in the east valley. Very well thought out if you ask me. Almost every major road is 3 lanes on each side. So large in fact that at many intersections, there are two stoplights because the road is divided. 3 lanes on each side. One stoplight in the middle and one on the far side. Kind of hard to explain but you'll see what I mean.
The freeways are also excellent. 5 and 6 lanes each way, 65 mph in most cases and little to no graffiti at all. I'm impressed.

3.) Mesa has no street lights on residential streets. At least not where I've seen.
I don't know if that's good or bad.

4.) NO BUGS!!!!
Really!!! There are no bugs here. I can have the porch light on and there are no flies, nats, and few if any moths. If I left my porch light on in Oregon, you almost can't enter the house they are so thick.

5.) 78 degrees is almost cold.
Weird to say but I woke up this morning and it was 78 outside and I got goose bumps. Granted it didn't last long but 80 or 90 here is awesomely comfortable. Even 100 is very doable sitting on your porch or doing stuff outside.

6.) Swamp coolers are great but I haven't experienced the monsoon season yet. I hear a swamp cooler doesn't work well when the humidity gets above about 30% or so but when the humidity is low, it keeps my brothers place a full 30 degrees cooler than the outside temp. As I write this, it's 114 outside and the interior of this place is a very comfortable 85 degrees.

7.) The drivers aren't anywhere near as bad as other places I've been.
I've been driving around the east valley for 10 days now and it appears the drivers aren't any worse than other places I've been. Perhaps I've been lucky so far. The worst I've experienced is a guy driving a pickup far too slow on a two lane road with no passing and a few people wouldn't let me in a lane but that's typical anywhere.

8.) The desert isn't the barren wasteland many on this forum make it out to be.
Not a wasteland at all. I've got a beautiful view of the Superstition mountains, lots of wildlife around as well.

9.) Sunblocker is my friend.
I went to the pool the first day I was here. Being just a pastey white guy and living in Oregon for so long, you can imagine how pale I am. I was at the pool for about 20 minutes the first day. First thing I bought the 2nd day before going to the pool was sunblock.

10.) Fruit and veggies are much cheaper here in most cases. Much fresher and sweeter as well.
Watermelon 19 cents per pound
Cantelope 3 for a dollar
Strawberries 3 baskets for a buck
whole Pineapples 99 cents each.
In Oregon that stuff is at least 3 times as much. Strawberries on sale were 2 baskets for $5.00 and cantelope was $2.99 a pound. A single cantelope would cost you 4 bucks.

11.) There are dollar stores EVERYWHERE.

12.) I don't sweat here.
The humidity so far is so low that you don't sweat even when it's sizzling outside. I don't sweat except for the bottoms of my feet. why is that?
Drink LOTS of water.

13.) There is almost no grass here. Green trees? Yes, but no grass.
At least not much in the Mesa area.

14.) There is free TV here. lol.
REALLY..... I can hook up old fashioned rabbit ears and get quite a good selection. I was paying $70.00 a month for sat tv in Oregon and it sucked huge. I get better quality shows on the channels I get for free.

15.) Where did all the palm trees come from?
Just curious.

16.) Who was Jacob Waltz?
Find out. Google him. Interesting story.

17.) The Superstition mountains are incredibly beautiful and I can't figure out why they are so inspiring......

18.) Swap meets are cool....

19.) [great list otherwise, but consumer complaints are not allowed on the forums]
20.) Cactus are really neat.
I never knew there we so many varieties. There are a gozzillion different kinds.

21.) Housing prices are incredibly low right now.
That's a great thing for me at least. I'm hoping to buy something cash and I've seen some incredible buys.
I'm not rich by any definition but I have tons of choices in the sub 100K range. I'm pretty happy about that.

22.) Real mexican food.
Enough said.

22.) As far as I can tell at this point, the RE agents I've met so far are either not the brightest bulb on the tree or lazy.
Is there one RE agent that has not only the ability to take my money but has the willingness to actually earn their commision? I've not found it so far. Why is that? Could it be that the commisions on a sub 100K house just isn't worth their time or maybe I'm just too picky?
Frustrating.
( present company excluded Capt. Bill) I should have contacted you first.

23.) You can't have enough flip flops.

24.) Get a good pair of sunglasses. You'll never regret it.

25.) You'll get cold for just a minute when you get out of the pool even if the temp is 110. Too wierd.

26.) You don't need a clothes dryer here. You might want one but you don't need one. Hand something outside for about 10 minutes and it's dry as a bone.

27.) 70 is cold here.
I left the cooler on last night and when I woke up this morning it was 70 inside the house. It was freezing my butt off. Really cold. I had to step outside to warm up. Go figure......
28.) The sunrises and sunsets are inspiring.

29.) You can't have enough ice.

30.) I don't drink much coffee here.
I drank coffee all day long in Oregon. A couple of cups in the morning and it's icewater the rest of the day here in Az.

31.) Overall, people are really nice here.
Reading on these forums would lead you to believe there are horrible drivers and just plain mean people here. I haven't found that to be the case at all.

32.) To the guy selling tamales in the Safeway parking lot that says he is homeless and needs the money? You might try selling them from something other than your CADILLAC ESCALADE.

33.) Note to self.
Oh, sorry. It's a private note.

These are but a few of the many wonderous things I've noticed since I've been here. I'll update this as things come up.

Last edited by observer53; 06-28-2011 at 09:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 09:16 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times
Welcome! Great post. It's so interesting to hear what newcomers have to say. Nothing beats seeing it for yourself, does it?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:22 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,356,109 times
Welcome, Maverick~ My first year or two hear must have felt similar to your recent experience. I was working outdoors, and not minding it at all. . . .living with only a cooler, no a/c, and no a/c in the car, either. . . .well, for me at least, things have changed. I am in my mid 60's, retired last year, and so happy not to have to be out in the heat and the sun anymore. . . .. it was getting really difficult. I don't know if this is age related (I've been here for 30 some years), or if I just have lost my tolerance for being uncomfortable, but enjoy it while you can!

Old 06-28-2011, 09:24 AM

129 posts, read 304,930 times
Thank you very much for sharing!

Old 06-28-2011, 09:28 AM

104 posts, read 240,561 times
Thanks for your input! We are moving early 2012 and are so excited and your post makes me feel more at ease

Old 06-28-2011, 09:40 AM

16 posts, read 52,127 times
What a great post! Hubby and I are moving there in two weeks and reading your thoughts got us even more excited. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts!

Old 06-28-2011, 09:59 AM

21 posts, read 103,178 times
I agree on all points! I have been here 14 months so this is my second summer.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:17 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
Great post Maverick.

Btw, you do sweat, but it evaporates immediately so you don't notice it.

Regarding the grass question: Many communities like to have the desert landscape feel. Others will have mixed landscape, with grass and desert.

There are a couple communities, such as Val Vista Lakes that don't allow desert landscaping in the front yards, so they can have the lush green theme.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:40 AM

7 posts, read 15,843 times
I am considering moving to the area as well, your post makes me feel optimistic unlike other negatives posts that I've read about moving there.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:20 AM

300 posts, read 952,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleladyish View Post
I am considering moving to the area as well, your post makes me feel optimistic unlike other negatives posts that I've read about moving there.
Keep in mind the OP has only been here ten days. Try living here for years and your opinions may change quickly. I disagree with a lot of what OP has said.

110 isn't 'bad', 78 degrees is cold, "don't sweat here" and drivers aren't bad here <-- Disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area