Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 06:44 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times

Advertisements

Most people, naturally, who live that general area, will say they love it and only mention the good they see. But you would have to visit the area several times and see for yourself, what the hype is all about. The good, the bad, the dangerous. There are areas that are good, dont get me wrong, but weather is an uncontrollable factor, can you handle the extreme summers, the monsoons, the air quality issues. Maybe living in or near the mountainous regions work better, if you have health issues. No matter where, keep in mind that people's personalities match the areas they live in. Everyone who has moved to/from any part of the world, can agree. Phx does have its good issues, but just like anywhere else on this planet, there will be things that can discourage a person, too. Some things can be worked out, others tend to make a person desire to try another area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 08:32 AM

151 posts, read 157,447 times
I've been to CA in the summer. It sucks.
You go to the beach and the weather is always too cold to swim, the waters are freezing. Then you go a few miles inland and it's too damn hot.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:43 AM

51 posts, read 159,432 times
Quote:
Well, the concenus seems to be when we move to Az. is to rent out first, even if visited before
This is good advice no matter where you move. I’d say plan to buy within a year or two at MAX.

Quote:
Now the question for all you Phoenix area old timers...If you could live anywhere in the U.S., would this area be in the top two ???
Not in the top two. The question is sort of loaded. If money were no object, it definitely wouldn’t be top two. If the cost of living and job opportunities were the same elsewhere it wouldn’t be, but it is sort of all related. Some places sport a higher cost of living to support better quality of life. From a “value” perspective, phoenix offers the best quality of living for the cost of living, although this has been somewhat compromised in the past several years due to sprawl and poor city planning, resulting in higher cost of living for little to no return in quality of life (yes this is a subjective statement).

Quote:
Do you have any regrets about living in Phoenix area ??? And if put to a vote, are there more good things as opposed to bad ???
whenever you move you are certain to leave behind good friends and good people who have touched your lives in positive ways. From this point of view, there are regrets. On the other hand, life is about trade offs and although you let go or turn the page of one chapter in your life, the new chapter provides opportunities for personal and professional growth. No matter where you move, you learn a lot about yourself through the new culture and people you meet. Are there more good than bad things? It depends on your value system. for me, I’d say it has provided a lot of professional opportunities and success that I most likely would not have had elsewhere, which in turn has provided me the opportunity to grow personally by taking lots of trips. I feel that if you can make a good social circle and have good job opportunities, it doesn’t really matter where you live. Does that mean phoenix is for you? Of course, that is only for you to decide, with the aid of each of our different perspectives and experiences.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:03 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gophins72 View Post
This is good advice no matter where you move. I’d say plan to buy within a year or two at MAX.

Not in the top two. The question is sort of loaded. If money were no object, it definitely wouldn’t be top two. If the cost of living and job opportunities were the same elsewhere it wouldn’t be, but it is sort of all related. Some places sport a higher cost of living to support better quality of life. From a “value” perspective, phoenix offers the best quality of living for the cost of living, although this has been somewhat compromised in the past several years due to sprawl and poor city planning, resulting in higher cost of living for little to no return in quality of life (yes this is a subjective statement). .
This is a MAJOR problem right now and seems to be getting worse. Hopefully Phoenix will remain a nice place for the lower middle class, but I just don't see even that as the price of starter homes are out of so many people's reach! IMHO, 200K for a starter home is a LOT of money. Especially since there is very little to do here that DOESN'T cost a lot of money. Seriously, how often do you *really* drive to San Diego or Vegas? And if you've got kids and you are stuck indoors for most of the year, with no basements, they are bored to tears. My advice to all would be take advantage of every opportunity your school offers as far as sports and clubs go. It will be the cheaper alternative to keeping them busy and out of trouble!
If you are coming from California or a very close state and can drive home to visit family and they can come to you, you will be fine. But anywhere else - especially if it's green and NOT hot for most of the year , yeah give it three years, you'll be moving too.

Last edited by londonbarcelona; 10-29-2007 at 01:26 PM..

Old 10-29-2007, 12:28 PM

hi londonbarcelona,

can you define what lower-middle class is, in terms of income level, education level, and free-time characterization?

also, i am intrigued by your name. i have recently read an article (albeit an older one) that mentions both barcelona and phoenix from a briton's perspective while discussing city improvement for england. what do you think of this: US v European cities

Old 10-29-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gophins72 View Post
hi londonbarcelona,

can you define what lower-middle class is, in terms of income level, education level, and free-time characterization?

also, i am intrigued by your name. i have recently read an article (albeit an older one) that mentions both barcelona and phoenix from a briton's perspective while discussing city improvement for england. what do you think of this: US v European cities
Believe it or not, I've actually read that article before!

I'd say a lower middle class individual is someone who has a high school education or lower, makes somewhere between the poverty level and 30K a year, and I would think that they are generally hard working people with strong family ties. I hope I don't offend anyone because this is a very broad characterization.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:54 PM

376 posts, read 490,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcdon View Post
Now the question for all you Phoenix area old timers...If you could live anywhere in the U.S., would this area be in the top two ??? Or maybe a better to phrase it, is do you have any regrets about living in Phoenix area ??? And if put to a vote, are there more good things as opposed to bad ??? thanks..Jersey Don I also guess there may be another small town in area that is also terrific
I would not move here again if I had the choice. It is very hot here for much longer than you think. I moved from Chicago-very close to the lake, so even with the humidity, it is worse here because it lasts so long. There are about 6 months where I am hot and do not feel a cool breeze unless it is in the middle of the night-and several of those months in that time period (middle of the night) it is still 100 degrees out and it feels like you are in an oven.
I am not kidding. I open my door and feel like I climb into the oven. I also get burned on my steering wheel unless the car is in a garage. EVEN WITH THE SUN SHADES IN MY CAR WINDOWS AND THE WINDOWS CRACKED (OR EVEN IF IT WERE SAFE ENOUGH HERE TO OPEN THE WINDOWS-SAME DEAL). Also, there tends to be a lot of crime here-both from illegals and legals. (I hate the term illegals, but these people do not realize it is a racial slur, so might as well use their authentic language to get you accustomed to the area.) This is a right wing state-if that fits your fancy, you will be in good company. If not, you will see nothing but trucks, SUVs and people who would drive them. (Leaving it at that to avoid a major slingfest here.)
I would not choose it here one bit. Now, as far as the other 2 places. Well, one is Hawaii. I do plan on moving there. I would also consider moving to California, although with the fires going on now, not sure where. I would have moved to San Diego, but jeez I never knew how bad they could get out of control. Perhaps somewhere up north. In my opinion, It is best to live near kind people rather than kind weather. (As each area has its own bit of bad weather) So, to me, where the kindest people live is where I would live. The midwest was a great place and I would also consider living in the Pacific Northwest.
Hope this helps.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:12 PM

Exclamation It is best to live near kind people rather than kind weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanawaleJulie View Post
It is best to live near kind people rather than kind weather. (As each area has its own bit of bad weather) So, to me, where the kindest people live is where I would live. The midwest was a great place and I would also consider living in the Pacific Northwest.
Hope this helps.
"It is best to live near kind people rather than kind weather."

I LOVE THAT SAYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That couldn't be more true! Another point for you!

Old 10-29-2007, 05:17 PM

376 posts, read 490,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
"It is best to live near kind people rather than kind weather."

I LOVE THAT SAYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That couldn't be more true! Another point for you!
Thanks. I try to be the change I want to see in others, but you can only change yourself and not others. So, like I said-kind people make for a kind day which makes for a kind life. No?

Old 10-29-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
I'd say a lower middle class individual is someone who has a high school education or lower, makes somewhere between the poverty level and 30K a year, and I would think that they are generally hard working people with strong family ties. I hope I don't offend anyone because this is a very broad characterization.
you've got me stumped. i've been trying to figure out all day how a 30k income could be a homeowner in a good area in phoenix. the only thing i can think of is to try to get a foreclosed home in a good area but even then it's tough. anyways, not trying to be negative, just have been stumped.

as for inexpensive things to do, i think you can get cheap baseball ticket seats during the season. i've been able to get < $10 seats, sometimes cheaper if you wait until after the game starts, they wont be the best seats but it's fun to watch in person. most folks i know who live on the cheap, are into the outdoors for their recreation; they're into lots of climbing, hiking, and camping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area