Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 06:37 PM

6 posts, read 26,565 times

Advertisements

Well, the concenus seems to be when we move to Az. is to rent out first, even if visited before...I know Queen Creek is more primative than Chandler, but home price's are so much more attractive...As far as work goes, want to continue in sales, so maybe won't have to commute to Phoenix...Now the question for all you Phoenix area old timers...If you could live anywhere in the U.S., would this area be in the top two ??? Or maybe a better to phrase it, is do you have any regrets about living in Phoenix area ??? And if put to a vote, are there more good things as opposed to bad ??? thanks..Jersey Don I also guess there may be another small town in area that is also terrific
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 07:41 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcdon View Post
Well, the concenus seems to be when we move to Az. is to rent out first, even if visited before...I know Queen Creek is more primative than Chandler, but home price's are so much more attractive...As far as work goes, want to continue in sales, so maybe won't have to commute to Phoenix...Now the question for all you Phoenix area old timers...If you could live anywhere in the U.S., would this area be in the top two ??? Or maybe a better to phrase it, is do you have any regrets about living in Phoenix area ??? And if put to a vote, are there more good things as opposed to bad ??? thanks..Jersey Don I also guess there may be another small town in area that is also terrific

Phoenix is not in my top 2 no. If I could afford the ones on top they would be
Maybe some snazzy area in Orange County California on the beach.
West Palm Beach Florida
Cape Cod
Myrtle Beach(my current home
Phoenix AZ

Nope I have no regrets moving from NY and staying in Phoenix for 19 years, although 15 years may have been sufficient

Old 08-10-2007, 08:10 PM

6 posts, read 26,565 times
well thanks for reply---guess I should have said limit your choice's to Arizona area...someone is going to say Hawaii is #1

Old 08-10-2007, 08:30 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,790,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcdon View Post
Not Hawaii. It would be in Mr. Clint Eastwood's neighborhood: Carmel-By-the-Sea, Kalifornia. IMO, still the most beautiful place on this planet.

No regrets of living in the valley since 1962. I do wish it had been possible to keep my parent's home is southeast Scottsdale after they passed away. I lived there from '62 until 1974 and would have moved back in a few years when my wife retires. We just did not have the cash to buy out my siblings and keep it as a rental.

Is there more good than bad? Hard to say...I do think this was a much nicer place to live before 1980 and the flood of millions of transplants.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:23 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
I've lived here my whole life (32 yrs) and I have to say that I am liking it here more and more. My plans were to move as soon as grad school was finished, but it didn't happen. We were thinking of moving to Chicago, but the more I visited the more I decided against it for numerous reasons (too close to his family (not that they are all that bad), humidity, and cost of living were biggies for me).

I REALLLLLLLYYYYYYY LOVE our weather in the fall, spring, and winter too much to leave at this point. I would consider being a snowbird more than anything, if my work would permit, but it doesn't yet. As long as I get through the summer I'm alright.

Although, like another poster above, I love Orange County, CA, but don't know if I'd want to live there. Who knows, maybe? But for now it's just too expensive.

In AZ, I wouldn't choose Queen Creek over the rest of the valley. There are numerous areas that I'd pick in a heartbeat and pay the money to do it (well, I already do that now!)

Old 08-10-2007, 09:40 PM

19 posts, read 77,925 times
If I could live anywhere in the U.S., AZ would not be in my top 2. I have lived here for 10 years and I am ready to move. I was ready to move 2 years ago. Many people love it out here though. Definitely come out and visit during the summer months. I enjoyed the heat when I first moved out here from the Chicago suburbs. However, it seems the longer I live here the harder it is to take the summers. The winters are wonderful though. I just miss the change of seasons. It is hard to probably believe, but sunny, blue skies can get old for some people. We are hoping to possibly move to Colorado in the next 2 years. I live in the north phoenix area near Paradise Valley. My suggestion is to definitely rent first to get the lay of the land before you settle on one area. Good luck!

Old 08-10-2007, 11:53 PM

64 posts, read 282,818 times
If I could afford it I would be in Jersey.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:14 AM

647 posts, read 3,341,165 times
If you're looking for only cities in AZ, then Gilbert would be my number one choice, Chandler number two. Maybe if we could afford a 2 million dollar home, Scottsdale would be number one but if we could afford a 2 million dollar home, I wouldn't spend it all on one home in AZ. I'd buy a nice home here and a beach house.

If you're looking for cities anywhere, then Phoenix might be 2 or 3 for me though I can't think of a better fit for us right now considering our circumstances (kids, income level, job, etc.) If we had unlimited funds, we'd live somewhere on the east coast and have a beach house in the OBX or Bald Head Island

No, we don't regret our move out here. Phx has it's downfalls, but every city does. We've enjoyed living here. For us, it works quite well right now and we don't plan to move in the near future. 10 yrs from now though - who can say....

re: Queen Creek - I'd recommend doing a search on this forum for Queen Creek posts. Houses are definitely cheaper, but there's a reason. That's not to say QC isn't a great place to live for many people, b/c many like it. But I would not recommend buying if you think there's any chance at all that you'd have to sell in the next 10 yrs or so as it'd be tough.

I think renting is a great idea if you don't know for sure where you'll be working and where you want to settle.

Good luck!

Old 08-11-2007, 05:12 PM

133 posts, read 433,368 times
If your sales job requires traveling, then the PHX area is by far the most convenient, due to the airport and its central location in the state. That said, pay attention to the local real estate market. You could probably draw a 20-mile radius around the central part of town to see where the market is most stable at present. However, if you are looking to stick around for a while, just remember that the radius tends to grow over time. My wife and I were able to find a terrific value in Laveen, which is not too far from the airport, downtown, and our friends in Tempe/Ahwatukee. (and no, our home value has not declined, thank goodness)

Old 08-11-2007, 09:02 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
No - AZ/Phoenix is beautiful, however it is not in my top 2. Regrets, no. More bad than good - in my opinion, yes. Unless you are into continued sight-seeing, it is one of the most boring places on Earth. Again, just my opinion. Best of luck on your move.

Last edited by JeepGirl118; 08-11-2007 at 09:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area