Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 08:52 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
there are many, many thousands of scorpions in Arizona
More like millions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,000 times
I have lived in Arizona for 32 years and have not had any that whole time. I have had friends in other neighborhoods that do. I disagree with Ponderosa. Some neighborhoods are infested and others neighborhoods have had no sightings... and others somewhere in between. This is also true for the desert wilderness. Some areas have one under every rock, and other areas you could look for them all night with a black light and not find them. You can't expect them to be evenly distributed just because you think they should.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:55 PM

550 posts, read 1,127,093 times
We live in the middle of nowhere and we had one scorpion last year, one the year before and just yesterday I killed a tiny one on a baseboard. I hope there are not other little ones hiding somewhere. I can go out at night with a black light and cannot find one. Not one of my neighbors have complained being infested with them. Why are some neighborhoods infested and other ones not I have no idea.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:20 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
I disagree with cr free. You won't experience them if you live in a developed urban area away from natural terrain. The only exception to this is if there is recent construction in your neighborhood which unearths them from their home. Otherwise, they are practically unseen. If you have your home sprayed like most people, you should not have an issue. If you or your friends don't have your home sprayed and you have roaches and crickets, well that's your fault if you see scorpions. People have control over scorpions. If you choose to live on a hillside, out in the open desert, or near terrain, you are going to experience scorpions. Everything has a price including tranquility. I know many who choose to live in parts of North Scottsdale that is in open desert but will accept the scorpions that come with that.

If you have Scorpions I recommend having your home sealed. The homes I had sealed never had scorpions after that. And the people who live in Scottsdale and Ahwatukee who had scorpions stopped seeing them after they had theirs sealed. Of course, on CityData, the negative nancies will tell you how they had their homes sealed twice and still experience scorpions. So just be prepared for that response

Last edited by azriverfan.; 09-26-2015 at 08:36 AM..

Old 09-28-2015, 10:35 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
Just got stung by a Bark Scorpion last Friday and my house is 24 years old. I say they are everywhere and new construction doesn't mean a thing.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:56 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I disagree with cr free. You won't experience them if you live in a developed urban area away from natural terrain. The only exception to this is if there is recent construction in your neighborhood which unearths them from their home. Otherwise, they are practically unseen. If you have your home sprayed like most people, you should not have an issue. If you or your friends don't have your home sprayed and you have roaches and crickets, well that's your fault if you see scorpions. People have control over scorpions. If you choose to live on a hillside, out in the open desert, or near terrain, you are going to experience scorpions. Everything has a price including tranquility. I know many who choose to live in parts of North Scottsdale that is in open desert but will accept the scorpions that come with that.

If you have Scorpions I recommend having your home sealed. The homes I had sealed never had scorpions after that. And the people who live in Scottsdale and Ahwatukee who had scorpions stopped seeing them after they had theirs sealed. Of course, on CityData, the negative nancies will tell you how they had their homes sealed twice and still experience scorpions. So just be prepared for that response
Thats a false assumption. Tempe and North Gilbert have been developed for some time and have some of the worst scorpion issues in the east valley. Same with the Dobson Ranch area. It's a whole neighborhood issue. If you have junky neighbors who don't spray, you can do everything in your power and you will still have issues.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:52 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I disagree with cr free. You won't experience them if you live in a developed urban area away from natural terrain.
That is absolutely untrue. I know several people in old areas of Scottsdale (near Old Town) that have a big scorpion problem. I had family up near Tatum and Thunderbird that also had a problem.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:47 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
AZriverfan doesn't even live in AZ so how can that person be such an expert on scorpions?

Old 09-28-2015, 01:00 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
AZriverfan doesn't even live in AZ so how can that person be such an expert on scorpions?
He lived in Az for MANY years until recently, that's how.

New construction near homes can send them looking for new places to live, and heading into neighborhoods previously unaffected to do so. They are perhaps more common in areas like that or adjacent to native desert, but they are found in older neighborhoods as well. I think in the past, they may have stayed when the houses got built, instead of leaving. Or, there are other areas in those older neighborhoods that are just too attractive for them to leave-- groves of trees, whatever. Many older neighborhoods don't have them. Other than asking people in the area when you are looking at a home, it's hard to know.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:49 PM

567 posts, read 788,106 times
I lived in an apartment in Tempe from '73-'75 and then in my home on the west side of Phoenix, and I've never seen a scorpion. Never sprayed, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area