Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 07:43 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzjazz07 View Post
So do you not understand my concerns? Or maybe you just do not understand how it feels, which is find and I understand if you don't.
I do understand your concerns. But I also think your concerns are becoming...obsessive, and you'll never feel comfortable moving here.

Best wishes to you on whatever you decide.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:48 PM

83 posts, read 214,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
I do understand your concerns. But I also think your concerns are becoming...obsessive, and you'll never feel comfortable moving here.

And just like I am entitled to my opinion you are entitle to yours. If you think it is obsessive then that is your opinion. But I rather be obsessive then move over 3,000 miles and make the wrong choice for my children.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 11-02-2011, 07:50 PM

83 posts, read 214,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Definitely. For some, every perceived injustice is attributed to race or color. I have relatives who hate Phoenix and think it is a racist wasteland and others who never notice anything. The main difference appears to be how well they are doing financially. If they have a good job, home car, etc, then its OK here. It is never great, but as good as anywhere. No job, legal troubles, and other struggles and its the racist rednecks and job-stealing Mexicans here who are keeping them down. It's the same city, but folks see it through various colored glasses. So I guess it is hard to predict what one's experience will be. For us, it has been favorable. We have neighbors and close friends drawn from several ethnicities and I would not hesitate to recommend the area (and even lowly, impoverished Goodyear) to mixed race couples with kids. My very best friend and fishing buddy is a black guy who thinks I am a racist. I think he is too.
How far is Goodyear from Chandler? I did not see Goodyear when I was out there? What part of the city is that near?

Old 11-02-2011, 08:05 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
How far is Goodyear from Chandler? I did not see Goodyear when I was out there? What part of the city is that near?
Goodyear is in the far southwest part of the Phoenix metro area. It's quite a distance from Chandler maybe 35 miles. Goodyear is a very new town with most people having moved there in the past 10 years. It has a higher income than most of the state and people are more educated as well, mostly because there was very little "old town" here and many of the people who moved in were professionals and military officer retirees. In the early phases of growth Goodyear targeted higher priced homes, but later approved more affordable developments. Then Goodyear got clobbered by the recession.

There are a fairly substantial number of Luke AFB service men and women and civilian staff here. Luke trains fighter pilots from around the world so you get some diversity. Goodyear has one of the highest percentages of blacks in the metro, but it is still less than 10% of the population.

It's hard to say where it will all end up, but Goodyear is probably going to be the "Chandler of the West Valley" eventually, if that has any meaning to you.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:09 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,809 times
Quote:

Thank you.

Geez.

Then she becomes angry and act like she doesn't care what anyone thinks. Hello! You asked for opinions, so..

Old 11-02-2011, 08:14 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:

What may seem obsessive to you is simply seeking a good range of answers to a pertinent question to someone else.

I truly understand the OP's standpoint. She simply wants to avoid situations for herself and her family that are uncomfortable at the very least or traumatic at the very worst. No one wants to move to an area where the people around you view you and your family with utter contempt. No one wants to be stared at and jeered at when all you are doing is shopping at the grocery store, eating at a restaurant or picking up the kids from school. And yes, these are valid concerns.

What the OP wants is a basic outline of areas to avoid due to a greater likelihood of the people in those areas not being as open to her type of family. And maybe get a guide to areas/neighborhoods that will be a great fit for her family. So I am not understanding the reason that so many are "annoyed" or "frustrated" with her questions. Is it because it strikes a chord about issues that have already been raised about the amount of prejudice that exists in your own areas? No one is personally calling you a racist just because some have experienced prejudice in your town but it would be nice if some people could have a bit more reserve and simply not respond if they do not have relevant input versus denying that some (or many) actually have experienced prejudice in the Phoenix area.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:15 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,809 times
Quote:
But I rather be obsessive then move over 3,000 miles and make the wrong choice for my children.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
I would rather not move than be forever paranoid about things that probably don't even exist to that extent.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:16 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
What may seem obsessive to you is simply seeking a good range of answers to a pertinent question to someone else.

I truly understand the OP's standpoint. She simply wants to avoid situations for herself and her family that are uncomfortable at the very least or traumatic at the very worst. No one wants to move to an area where the people around you view you and your family with utter contempt. No one wants to be stared at and jeered at when all you are doing is shopping at the grocery store, eating at a restaurant or picking up the kids from school. And yes, these are valid concerns.

What the OP wants is a basic outline of areas to avoid due to a greater likelihood of the people in those areas not being as open to her type of family. And maybe get a guide to areas/neighborhoods that will be a great fit for her family. So I am not understanding the reason that so many are "annoyed" or "frustrated" with her questions. Is it because it strikes a chord about issues that have already been raised about the amount of prejudice that exists in your own areas? No one is personally calling you a racist just because some have experienced prejudice in your town but it would be nice if some people could have a bit more reserve and simply not respond if they do not have relevant input versus denying that some (or many) actually have experienced prejudice in the Phoenix area.
The OP has already started 2 or 3 threads on the same topic within the past few weeks. That is, I think, what most people are frustrated with.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:19 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
So I am not understanding the reason that so many are "annoyed" or "frustrated" with her questions.
Perhaps the frustration stems from having answered these questions from this particular member hundreds of times, and she's still asking the same questions. There's only so much information and so many ways to convey the same information.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:26 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Perhaps the frustration stems from having answered these questions from this particular member hundreds of times, and she's still asking the same questions. There's only so much information and so many ways to convey the same information.
She seems to keep probing until someone shows up with "experiences" that play to her worst fears whereupon she dismisses all the information previously provided and seizes upon the negative as fact. It smacks as trolling to many and maybe that is why the less than gracious reception of yet another thread on the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area