Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 05:56 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,290,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
There are fire marshal occupancy limits, but in a store that size, it would be a VERY large number. And, there's no fire marshal number control over the number of people that can congregate in any certain area of the store.
I think a reasonable response would be for these stores to limit the number of shoppers and announce rules prior to them entering the stores with more security present.

I don't think Black Friday should be banned but stores need to address the mob mentality that occurs at them. I think a lot of shoppers would appreciate it. It's truly anarchy in those stores when they first open on Black Friday. I'm surprised more stores haven't been more responsible with regard to this. Just because there are sales, it doesn't give you a right to act like an animal and be disrespectful to your fellow shoppers.

While this idea might sound outrageous, don't be surprised if this idea is implemented at some point in the future. With enough law suits and an increasing number of shoppers, these stores will have no choice but to create some reforms on Black Friday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 05:58 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,868,537 times
What I found interesting in the PO Report is that it is LACKING any witness/bystander information. The officer was either SLOPPY or he is purposely avoiding getting witness testimony because it would contradict his statement. IF what the officer says is true, that the subject resisted arrest, then the officer should have gotten 3-5 witnesses to back his statement. Yet the report is completely devoid of any witness testimony. Shoot, there were like 50 people standing there, why couldn't he get at least 5 statements????

Which leads me to believe:

A - The officer is sloppy and did not do a thorough investigation. Which then leads me to question where was his Watch Commander/Supervisor? They should have stepped in and gotten witness statements to collaborate his statement of resisting arrest.

B - The subject did not resist arrest as noted in the report and therefore the officer did not get witness statements because he feared they would contradict his statement.

EVERY officer out there has one time or another in their career "stretched" the truth and claimed "suspicious activity" or "resisted arrest", when the subject never really did any of those things. Police do it ALL THE TIME in order to get an arrest or to cover their a**. If you think they don't, then you are living in a fantasy world. Any cop, off the record of course, will admit to doing this one time or another in their career.

Is this what happened here? It's hard to say for sure but so far I am leaning towards that the officer overacted and did use excessive force and poor judgment. The blow to the head this guy received could have killed him. When conducting a "leg sweep" on a concrete floor, it is emphasized in PO training that extreme caution must be used to make sure the suspect/offender does not land on his head. You can't just leg sweep someone and then let them fall on their head. It is a maneuver that must be used cautiously.

There was a PO in a different state that used a stun gun while the suspect was perched over a 3-story wall, the suspect fell to his death. That officer was fired and was charged with involuntary manslaughter and found guilty.

Last edited by DellNec; 11-28-2011 at 06:07 PM..

Old 11-28-2011, 06:05 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,290,783 times
Have any of you been present on Black Friday at the time of opening at one of these major stores? I was present for this one time at Best Buy. It's genuinely disturbing to watch. People run (sprint), they yell like they are on a roller coaster, people fight over DVD's and games and other electronics. They stuff their carts, shove people out of the way. I was definitely shoved a few times. If it wasn't so scary you would think you were in a Mel Brooks movie. It was really funny and disturbing at the same time. But I do recall thinking at the time why Best Buy and these other stores would allow for this type of behavior. And this was back in 2001. I learned my lesson and haven't gone back to these big box stores on Black Friday since. I can only imagine it's worse now.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:11 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,154,565 times
Rest assured Walmart has cameras (and lots of them). We will all learn what happened.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:31 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,017,573 times
I read alot of stories about police brutality & im sure alot of them are true. MANY people (men & women) become cops cause they were either bullys as kids or were picked on alot. Some say this was police brutality & some say it wasnt. I guess you had to be their to see the truth. Maybe the man wasnt shoplifting at all. Thats why the cops & walmart employees should of waited till he left the store.[mod cut-- off topic]

Old 11-28-2011, 06:41 PM

370 posts, read 1,564,216 times
Ponderosa??? I can't tell if you are being serious or sarcastic. You don't think you can find a politician to run on a ban Black Friday platform? I do. With all the problems and challenges this state has we make laws that you have to be 40 lbs or sit in a booster chair (even if you are 10 years old?). Also, how about the mandatory fire extinguisher on a jet ski - like I'm going to stand over the engine and fight a fire on my son's jet ski!!! Are you serious?

Old 11-28-2011, 07:42 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Have any of you been present on Black Friday at the time of opening at one of these major stores? I was present for this one time at Best Buy. It's genuinely disturbing to watch. People run (sprint), they yell like they are on a roller coaster, people fight over DVD's and games and other electronics. They stuff their carts, shove people out of the way. I was definitely shoved a few times. If it wasn't so scary you would think you were in a Mel Brooks movie. It was really funny and disturbing at the same time. But I do recall thinking at the time why Best Buy and these other stores would allow for this type of behavior. And this was back in 2001. I learned my lesson and haven't gone back to these big box stores on Black Friday since. I can only imagine it's worse now.
I understand (from the news) that Best Buy has changed how they work this thing. They give people in line checklists/coupon allowing them to buy the things they want. So it's not as wild as it was. I went out with the fam last year and it was not that big a deal. The rush into the store is over pretty quickly. We did Target first and got there shortly after the doors opened and the line was already gone. I did not see anybody pushing and most people were laughing and talking to each other, grabbing titles for other people in the DVD section, and having a good time. The real mess is checking out with long, long, long lines.

My wife said that Walmart did a much better job this year than last - at least at "our" store. They had all the TV and electronic specials out in the aisles and had helpers directing store traffic and getting things for people. She saw people with 3 and 4 big LED Tvs in the basket and said they had plenty in stock. She did not see any cops in our Walmart either.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 747 times
Default Video Games have Security Tags -

To claim Shoplifting is TOTAL BS.

I hope WalMart is sued and Buckeye PD is sued.

Poor Grandpa

Old 11-28-2011, 10:39 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxrider View Post
You stated yourself that people throw DVD's and kids clothing and these people are supposed to be adults. What a great example to set for children. Is this the true spirit of Christmas and what is has become. These are not isolated incidents and this happens in every store, every year not just Walmart. So these Black Friday people are morons. Great deals, most people only save on an average of ten dollars off each thing they buy. I would rather pay the extra ten dollars and save myself the aggravation. I was walking on the beach in California this past Friday laughing at all the Black Friday morons waiting in lines since 3am and assaulting people. This day needs to be banned and I think its time to make some legislation based on some of the people who have been injured and maimed on that day. I watched a video last night of people trampling over a 13 year old girl while they charged into a store so there precious kid can get that video game for Xmas. Who cares who gets injured or killed!. This has become the true meaning of Christimas.
In principle, I agree with much of what you stated. I never could figure out how some of these people find the time to camp out in front of stores, or stand in line for hours waiting for the doors to open just to save a few lousy bucks on gadgets which they probably can't afford anyway. Their lives must completely empty or useless ... especially those who assault others or shoplift! These are often the kinds of losers who have credit card debt up to their eyebrows, and likely sponge off government services in some form.

What I disagree with is your call for more legislation. I hope you realize that it would amount to more bureaucracy, and a further escalation of government presence in what should be purely private enterprise. Personally, I have no use for the crowds on Black Friday, nor those who get carried away ... but the way I see it, if they want to shop for these useless items and get the best sale, why should we ban that?

Old 11-29-2011, 01:44 AM

267 posts, read 692,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightnurse613 View Post
... Also, how about the mandatory fire extinguisher on a jet ski - like I'm going to stand over the engine and fight a fire on my son's jet ski!!! Are you serious?
Actually, in the case of the jet ski, the legislators' rationale is that you can use the extinguisher to fight a fire on another jet ski... and they can use their's if your jet ski is aflame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area