Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 01:54 PM

18 posts, read 57,467 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone

My husband and I will be relocating to AZ for a job in Scottsdale in June.
We are considering renting a house for a year before we purchase a home, but I wanted to get some feedback on location from those of you who live in AZ.

We are looking in the radius of 30 minutes from Scottsdale. I have fallen in love with the home plans at Trovita Estates in Mesa...but did a little more research and noticed it was surrounded by Walmart on all four corners. I'm not a fan of Walmart (and their business practices) at all. We're more of a Target, Wholefoods, Farmers Market couple. Trying to eat local and organic as possible.

We don't have any children (except pets) so we do enjoy eating out a lot (Japanese/Korean/Chinese/Indian/French/Italian...our favorites!!), and going out for night entertainment. And, I love to shop

With what you read here...where you suggest would be the best location for us?
Price of homes can not exceed $500K.

Thank you in advance for any input/advice you can give us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 03:46 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,002 times
Welcome! There is a whole foods in North Scottsdale at zip code 85054 Scottsdale | WholeFoodsMarket.com It is in North Scottsdale and you cannot go wrong there. I check out zip code 85259 and northward to Troon and up toward Cave Creek/Carefree from time to time for prices. You will find some good places in the $450,000 to $500,000 range, but many are above $800,000.

Yeah I am a Whole Foods fanatic myself. I work all over the US, - work in one city for a year or so and keep flying back home to Phoenix every couple of weekends. I make a point to go to Whole Foods whereever I go: Whole Foods on Smith Ave. in a funky university part of Baltimore, Whole Foods in Redondo Beach, and when home in souteast Phoenix I like Whole Foods on Ray Road just east of the 101 freeway. Finished a 14 month engineering contract in Tampa a couple weeks ago and unfortunately Tampa has only one Whole Foods. Nice shop, same type of funky people working there, but 25 miles from where I rented.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:06 PM

675 posts, read 1,414,647 times
Your thought of renting for a year might be a great idea. That would allow you to get familiar with the various areas personally so you can make the best decision on what's right for you. For 500k you have many many options. Your '30 minute radius' will depend on where in Scottsdale the job is. You could spend 30 minutes driving just from one end of the city to the other!

Old 02-25-2012, 04:43 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,175,351 times
Renting is not a bad idea, but for $500K you will have many options.

I would use the address of where your husband will be working and then map out reasonable commutes to his job. Traffic is a factor so take a look at the roadway system (I can send you a map) here in the valley. You will find there are many "can't get there from here" situations.

Once you get here you will better determine the area you want to live. As you mentioned you need to look for areas that have the amenities you enjoy. Not just shopping, but dining, nightlife and outdoor activities and people of a similar socio-economic background (I could have said people that are like you, but I wanted to sound smart).

Even though you do not have children, an area with good schools is still important because it is desirable and helps maintain property values.

Even though many people will chime in about property values, I think it is still very important to consider the longer term outlook for property values. You are going to have to sell that home someday so consider that when you purchase.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:08 AM

18 posts, read 57,467 times
Thanks, Everyone for the replies. Since my post, I have gone back to looking at the Trovita Estates again. What do you all think about the location?

Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTMPL View Post
Thanks, Everyone for the replies. Since my post, I have gone back to looking at the Trovita Estates again. What do you all think about the location?
I was not familiar with the location, so I looked it up. I think the location is a good one, with nice homes. If you've found a home you love (and whether it's 30 minutes from "Scottsdale" depends on what part of Scottsdale you mean; Scottsdale is a long, narrow city as you look at it on a map) then it's a good choice.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:51 AM

203 posts, read 491,352 times
Why live in Mesa with that budget? Check out faux scottsdale in Phoenix (area code 85254) where you can find a lot in your budget in the most central location in the valley and close to two whole foods (101 and Scottsdale rd. and tatum/shea, trader joe's and a host of restaurants).

Old 02-29-2012, 03:30 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,778,604 times
Trovita Estates is a very nice new community being built in Mesa at Val Vista Drive and Adobe. It's very close to either the 202 north loop, or highway 60.

I have a client whom I may help buy a home in there. I live in Val Vista Lakes which is just a couple miles to the south of there.

The area has a lot of 5 acre estates nestled in citrus groves, and many million + dollar homes. It's a very popular area, and I'm told the school district is very good, although I saw that you don't have children.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:59 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times
we need to know where in Scotts the job is!!!

I agree with skyway that 85254 is an excellent location and very convenient....some realtors call it the "magic zipcode" because you pay the lower taxes of City of Phoenix, but get to use Scottsdale as your mailing address (and to impress others!)....home prices are all over the range in 85254, from $40K condo conversions (not recommended) to $1M+ homes and penthouse condos.....large varied area

Old 03-01-2012, 07:33 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
$500K in Scottsdale is a good budget and you'll be able to get a nice place for that! It really does depend where the job is at but have you looked at Fountain Hills? It's a smaller community next to Scottsdale that is also upscale but offers a bit more house for the money. The biggest perk of Fountain Hills is the beautiful views that almost all homes have!

If you want to live in North Scottsdale, I'd look at the communities of Grayhawk and DC Ranch. I lived in Grayhawk for many years and can say it was a wonderful place to reside! I currently reside in Scottsdale Ranch and you may be able to get a smaller place on the lake for your budget.

It all depends where the job is...Scottsdale is BIG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area