Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 06:32 PM

376 posts, read 490,196 times

Advertisements

Today I was getting gas at a gas station at Scottsdale/Shea. Very upscale yuppy bunch filling up. On the ground in front of the store lay a man who was bright red in face, skin and bones with a beer in a paper bag in front of him. He was laying on the ground. Out cold. This man looked nearly dead. It was over 100 degrees, he had no water. Person after person walked by, looked at him, and walked inside to pay for gas, etc. Once I went inside, I was so upset, I made a comment to the cashier (white kid) what a terrible thing it was and maybe we should get him some water. His reply "it's his own fault." I called 911 because as I went to talk to him he didn't respond, and looked half dead. One good thing I can say is that not only did the trucks arrive quickly (the station is within walking distance of this place) but for some reason, nearly the entire city came. First there was the fire truck (they always come first), then came a police car, then the ambulance and then another policeman, this time in an unmarked car. All of this for one man. (not much crime in the area apparantely.) However, I will say that it seemed that they weren't exactly in emergency mode but rather in get drunkered off the street mode. I couldn't believe they didn't give him water or an IV immediately. Instead, he was made to find his wallet and show ID. He may have even been arrested for public drinking-who knows. I had to leave at that point as I was blocking the emergency CARAVAN that had since shown up.
So, in summary, thumbs up for Scottsdale showing up quickly. Thumbs down for the treatment of this man. And most of all to the people who walked past this man-SHAME ON YOU.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:41 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Nana, that's awful!!! I don't undertand how some people can live with themselves. But like you said~a definite thumbs up to the emergency crew.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:47 PM

27,342 posts, read 27,393,359 times
Sometimes people put their own cares first, but in one small way, rightfully so.
When someone chooses beer over water, they need to re-think the concenqunces.
Thanks for calling the medics, this guy probably would have died of heat exhaustion if you wouldnt have called....and the sad thing, is no one would have noticed or cared, he was a transient, not some high-dollar yuppie.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Nana, that's awful!!! I don't undertand how some people can live with themselves. But like you said~a definite thumbs up to the emergency crew.
One of the reasons I posted it here is to show that the Scottsdale police/fire have almost nothing to do but deal with car accidents and very little crime here. There is definately property crime, but anytime I have ever needed a cop-I mean really needed one-they are here in a jiffy. However, I will say that the people of this area are the worst. I smiled at a woman at the grocery store today to have her give me a dirty look, and almost hit me with her cart. (Not to mention the people I already mentioned that wouldn't give a squirt of pee to help out a stranger in need.)

Old 09-11-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
Sometimes people put their own cares first, but in one small way, rightfully so.
When someone chooses beer over water, they need to re-think the concenqunces.
Thanks for calling the medics, this guy probably would have died of heat exhaustion if you wouldnt have called....and the sad thing, is no one would have noticed or cared, he was a transient, not some high-dollar yuppie.
This man was obviously down on his luck for a long time. It is easy to judge someone else. Who knows what life has dealt him. It isn't for me to judge.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:53 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanawaleJulie View Post
Today I was getting gas at a gas station at Scottsdale/Shea. Very upscale yuppy bunch filling up. On the ground in front of the store lay a man who was bright red in face, skin and bones with a beer in a paper bag in front of him. He was laying on the ground. Out cold. This man looked nearly dead. It was over 100 degrees, he had no water. Person after person walked by, looked at him, and walked inside to pay for gas, etc. Once I went inside, I was so upset, I made a comment to the cashier (white kid) what a terrible thing it was and maybe we should get him some water. His reply "it's his own fault." I called 911 because as I went to talk to him he didn't respond, and looked half dead. One good thing I can say is that not only did the trucks arrive quickly (the station is within walking distance of this place) but for some reason, nearly the entire city came. First there was the fire truck (they always come first), then came a police car, then the ambulance and then another policeman, this time in an unmarked car. All of this for one man. (not much crime in the area apparantely.) However, I will say that it seemed that they weren't exactly in emergency mode but rather in get drunkered off the street mode. I couldn't believe they didn't give him water or an IV immediately. Instead, he was made to find his wallet and show ID. He may have even been arrested for public drinking-who knows. I had to leave at that point as I was blocking the emergency CARAVAN that had since shown up.
So, in summary, thumbs up for Scottsdale showing up quickly. Thumbs down for the treatment of this man. And most of all to the people who walked past this man-SHAME ON YOU.
Did you give him water?

Old 09-11-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Did you give him water?
He wouldn't wake up when I was trying to talk to him. By the time I went into the store to buy some water, the fire truck was there and he was surrounded by firemen. I assumed they would take care of him (and that they had water with them). There were so many people around him at that point (firemen) I couldn't have gotten to him anyway. If the fire truck hadn't shown up when it did, I would have gotten him a gallon of water. I stop for homeless people. Once there was a legless man in a wheelchair without most of his teeth. He would sit at one particular spot or the other in this area. I brought him bags full of food. I have given him cash as well. I have had my downs as well. I never judge someone, but try to help in the little bit that I can, as although I live in this area, I am by no means well off, but rather squeaking by myself.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:05 PM

461 posts, read 1,809,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanawaleJulie View Post
This man was obviously down on his luck for a long time. It is easy to judge someone else. Who knows what life has dealt him. It isn't for me to judge.
Seems like you've taken all of Scottsdale and rolled them up into one stereotype - that's judging.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblina View Post
Seems like you've taken all of Scottsdale and rolled them up into one stereotype - that's judging.
I have lived in this area for over 20 years. I have a right to state my opinion of what I encounter. You will fit right in by the way.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:15 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Nana, you need to be commended. You are a speciasl one of a kind.
Snobsville (Scottsdale) people as a whole are so self centered and enamored by their own egos and status that they get lost in the world of reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area