Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:41 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
DO MORE RESEARCH AND LOOK OUTSIDE ARIZONA IF YOU WANT THOSE THINGS. It has no culture, no diversity, a very high rate of violent crime (even in many decent neighborhoods in the PHX area), no jobs to speak of unless U want to work at Walmart, and ranks almost DEAD LAST in education. There are many people like you who only THINK they like the heat and then think otherwise when the reality hits, especially when the heat lasts for over half the year. I seriously suggest you do more research. As for me, I will be moving from AZ back to Michigan within the next few months. AZ is HIGHLY overrated its not even funny. Colorado and Washington are much better alternatives to AZ..
Speak for yourself as to "no jobs to speak of unless U want to work at Walmart." One person's lack of success does not equate to an accurate prediction for others. As to your other wild statements, you offer no details or sources. While entitled to your opinion, your hyperbole weakens your argument. Best wishes for your move to Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 09:30 PM

168 posts, read 456,464 times
I would suggest:

First - fly out here for a visit to see if you even WANT to live here. Come during the summer and spend a week. Just 2 or 3 days won't give you a good idea of what living in the heat is really like. Even a week won't really, but it's better then a few days. During that week, tour the area. Check out all the 'burbs, tour schools, get a feel for the environment, vibe, etc. If, after all that, you STILL like it, then,

Second - start looking for a job. I would not even consider moving here (or anywhere) without a job. Depending on your field, it can be VERY hard to find a job. A friend just moved here from the east coast after spending a year sending out resumes to AZ. The only reason he got the job here was b/c he knew someone who knew someone. He's in IT. Not saying that it'll take you that long, but it might, and you do NOT want to be here without a job. As well, employers are often hesitant to hire out of state people. Some won't even consider their resume. So while that'll hinder your job search, it's better then being broke and homeless.

If/when you find a job out here, THEN start looking for houses. It's fun to look at houses online, and I do it all the time. But IMO, it doesn't really do any good to look at houses now b/c they'll likely be gone when you're ready to buy and the prices may have changed too. And you don't know what your salary will be so you don't know what your budget is. And, other then just to see if you like the area, it doesn't do any good to plan a move to a specific city/'burb until you know where you'll be working, unless you're not bothered by a potential one-way hour and a half rush hour commute. However, with the price of gas nowadays and for your sanity, I'd think you'd want as short a commute as possible.

That's my advice. We live in Gilbert, previously in Chandler, and have been very happy here. It's a great place to raise kids and people are generally friendly and welcoming and the vibe is very casual and laid-back. But as with any location, it's not for everyone. And you can't tell if it is just by looking online. Come check it out first, then decide. Good luck!

Old 04-30-2012, 11:47 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Quote:
DO MORE RESEARCH AND LOOK OUTSIDE ARIZONA IF YOU WANT THOSE THINGS. It has no culture, no diversity, a very high rate of violent crime (even in many decent neighborhoods in the PHX area), no jobs to speak of unless U want to work at Walmart, and ranks almost DEAD LAST in education. There are many people like you who only THINK they like the heat and then think otherwise when the reality hits, especially when the heat lasts for over half the year. I seriously suggest you do more research. As for me, I will be moving from AZ back to Michigan within the next few months. AZ is HIGHLY overrated its not even funny. Colorado and Washington are much better alternatives to AZ..
normcrok8, sorry you had a bad experience and it didn't work out for you here, but no need to taint it for others. I think you overly exaggerated with the jobs and the crime. Yes, there is crime (this is the 6th largest city in the U.S.!) but Phoenix isn't in the top 10! Wanna guess which city is?
America's Most Dangerous Cities, 2011 - Yahoo! Real Estate

Also, you mentioned there were no jobs, unless one wanted to work at Walmart...hmm..the stats don't support your assertion there either:
1. (tie) Cape Coral-Fort Myers, Fla. - Susan Adams - Forbes

The educational ranking is also suspect because it all depends on the criteria used.

My point is simply this: one person's experience (bad or good) doesn't have to be another's. You painted, in my opinion, a terribly inaccurate picture of Arizona. Now, having said that, I will agree that a lot of people come here and underestimate the heat. As I've stated in previous posts the heat is a pro (winter) and a con (summer).

So, I wish you well on your return to Michigan (which is a beautiful place by the way!).

Old 05-01-2012, 09:52 AM

205 posts, read 572,601 times
Most dangerous cities in America for 2010 was Flint, MI #1 and Detroit, MI #2

Detroit & Flint Top List of 10 Most Dangerous Cities in U.S. Where Violence Linked with Poverty - The Hinterland Gazette | The Hinterland Gazette

Phoenix is a walk in the park compared to most parts of Detroit. I am from Detroit!! And its not really that bad, so to make that accusation about Phoenix and its suburbs is pretty ridiculous....

Old 05-03-2012, 07:26 AM

10 posts, read 31,715 times
Quote:
U grossly over-estimate climate as a deciding factor where to move. According to USA Today last July, people are now moving for economic reasons. People know that sunshine, mountains and dry air dont give you a paycheck or standard of living. In using climate to determine where to live, AZ also falls way short. Most people do not like 115-degrees for 6 months at a time. AZ falls extrmely short on everything.
I am quite sure that I know weather standards do not supply a paycheck. What I was saying in whole (which u obviously took a piece of what I said) was that I love the heat; and while I am moving for several reasons (i.e crime rate, better education, AND economic), I am looking for a place that meet the above standards AS WELL as great weather. U say most people do not like 115 degrees for a straight 6 months; thats fine. I WOULD. Now if me wanting to live in a climate that suits me weather-wise, AND meet my personal standards, thats my preference. I dont look at it as GROSSLY OVER-RATED. U have your preferences and I have mine. Living in a comfortable climate is just ONE of the things I am looking for. I never stated that climate was the only, or sole, reason for MY relocation.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:09 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,772 times
I would really like to see the data that you are using to conclude that Arizona is going to provide better education than Michigan. Most of what I have seen and experienced would indicate the opposite.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:59 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,070 times
Quote:
I'm one of those people that "THINK" they like the heat but your statement doesn't hold up for me. I have said for the last 4 years that I would love the heat if I was ever able to move to the valley of the sun.
Well, I did move and I've gone thru the summer heat and personally, I did love it.
Arizona isn't over-rated IMHO if you just speak the truth. It's hot, it's a desert, it isn't California or whatever other state you're comparing. Phoenix is unique and that's one of things I like about it. Apparently you didn't find the uniqueness of the Phoenix area to your liking. That's fine by me. Go to Michigan and enjoy what that state has to offer but you're doing a disservice to people that might just like it here.

Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that isnt true anymore. U grossly over-estimate climate as a deciding factor where to move. According to USA Today last July, people are now moving for economic reasons. People know that sunshine, mountains and dry air dont give you a paycheck or standard of living. In using climate to determine where to live, AZ also falls way short. Most people do not like 115-degrees for 6 months at a time. AZ falls extrmely short on everything.

I'm sure many people are coming here for economic reasons but me? I came here SPECIFICALLY because of the weather. No other reason. Well, maybe one. To start anew and that's what I did. I came here and didn't have a job, I didn't have a huge bank account and I didn't have anything lined up. I came here to enjoy the sunshine, the pool, the lakes and the people.
Weather IS a major factor for more people than you might think.
One more thing. IT IS NOT 115 DEGREES FOR 6 MONTHS AT A TIME. That is just plain a falsehood. As a matter of fact, the AVERAGE high temp during June, July and August is about 104 with evening lows in the low 70's. That doesn't sound too bad, does it?

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/His...ation=USAZ0136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That is not what he said. He said we have something no other place does - the desert - and he is right. The Sonoran desert is UNIQUE in the entire world, much less the US. There is nowhere else you can move and find the flora and fauna found in the Sonoran. Everywhere has its oaks and pines and grass, but only we have saguaros and gila monsters. Living in a place like no other on earth is kind of fascinating for many of us.
Well said Ponderosa and I'd like to add that Arizona does have the pines and grass as well and it's very close at hand.
One of the many things I enjoy about the Phoenix area is the short drives to places like the beaches of California (6 hours), the easy drive to the Grand Canyon (4 hours), Las Vegas (4 hours), the pine covered mountains (ie Flagstaff, Payson (1 1/4 hours, etc.), and many more.
Arizona has a little bit of everything.
I'm an avid fisherman so being close to lakes was important to me. I got a house that is less than 20 minutes from Saguaro Lake, less than 30 minutes to Canyon Lake. Relatively close by are many more lakes. Apache, Roosevelt, San Carlos, Bartlett, Pleasant, the high mountain lakes and many more. Even the Colorado river isn't that far. I think Havasu is only 3 hours or so. Maybe 4.
Arizona has a lot to offer and I'm taking advantage of it. Many others are too.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
I'm one of those people that "THINK" they like the heat but your statement doesn't hold up for me. I have said for the last 4 years that I would love the heat if I was ever able to move to the valley of the sun.
Well, I did move and I've gone thru the summer heat and personally, I did love it.
Arizona isn't over-rated IMHO if you just speak the truth. It's hot, it's a desert, it isn't California or whatever other state you're comparing. Phoenix is unique and that's one of things I like about it. Apparently you didn't find the uniqueness of the Phoenix area to your liking. That's fine by me. Go to Michigan and enjoy what that state has to offer but you're doing a disservice to people that might just like it here.

I'm sure many people are coming here for economic reasons but me? I came here SPECIFICALLY because of the weather. No other reason. Well, maybe one. To start anew and that's what I did. I came here and didn't have a job, I didn't have a huge bank account and I didn't have anything lined up. I came here to enjoy the sunshine, the pool, the lakes and the people.
Weather IS a major factor for more people than you might think.
One more thing. IT IS NOT 115 DEGREES FOR 6 MONTHS AT A TIME. That is just plain a falsehood. As a matter of fact, the AVERAGE high temp during June, July and August is about 104 with evening lows in the low 70's. That doesn't sound too bad, does it?

Intellicast - Mesa Historic Weather Averages in Arizona (85206)

Well said Ponderosa and I'd like to add that Arizona does have the pines and grass as well and it's very close at hand.
One of the many things I enjoy about the Phoenix area is the short drives to places like the beaches of California (6 hours), the easy drive to the Grand Canyon (4 hours), Las Vegas (4 hours), the pine covered mountains (ie Flagstaff, Payson (1 1/4 hours, etc.), and many more.
Arizona has a little bit of everything.
I'm an avid fisherman so being close to lakes was important to me. I got a house that is less than 20 minutes from Saguaro Lake, less than 30 minutes to Canyon Lake. Relatively close by are many more lakes. Apache, Roosevelt, San Carlos, Bartlett, Pleasant, the high mountain lakes and many more. Even the Colorado river isn't that far. I think Havasu is only 3 hours or so. Maybe 4.
Arizona has a lot to offer and I'm taking advantage of it. Many others are too.
Nicely Put Maverick!

Old 05-04-2012, 09:30 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Nicely Put Maverick!
Thanks for the compliment. I just get a little tired of people that don't like it here saying things that are, for want of a better word, LIES.
I'm hoping most people know it's a desert and it gets hot but to say it's 115 for 6 months a year is ridiculous and to say so publicly is a disservice to others looking for ACCURATE information. Sheesh! It's not rocket science.
We live in a desert and it does get hot. That's the truth. It can, ON OCCASION, get very hot. Even 115 once in a while but that is far from normal.
I did a LOT of research before I moved here. It took 4 years to sell my place in Oregon so I have a lot more research under my belt than most people do and here is a website that looks at the past weather and it's VERY informative. I think it should be stickied someplace on the Phoenix site. It would save a lot of questions on here.
You can look at any month, any day in the past. Good stuff. Enjoy.

History | Weather Underground

Look up last summer. June, July and August of last year. In June, you'll see that, for the most part, it was just a little over 100 most of the time and then in July, there were some sizzling days but again, many days are in the low 100's. People complain about those sizzling days and I certainly understand that but you don't hear much when it's 102 or in the 90's as it often is.
Because of such low humidity, high 90's and low 100's is heavenly and waking up to temps of 75 and sunny puts a smile on my face.
It's hot here, just not as hot as many on here would like you to believe.
I've been here about a year now. Obviously I'm a huge Phoenix supporter. I love it here. That might change in a few years but for now, I'll shout out about how great this place is, at least for me.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Thanks for the compliment. I just get a little tired of people that don't like it here saying things that are, for want of a better word, LIES.
I'm hoping most people know it's a desert and it gets hot but to say it's 115 for 6 months a year is ridiculous and to say so publicly is a disservice to others looking for ACCURATE information. Sheesh! It's not rocket science.
We live in a desert and it does get hot. That's the truth. It can, ON OCCASION, get very hot. Even 115 once in a while but that is far from normal.
I did a LOT of research before I moved here. It took 4 years to sell my place in Oregon so I have a lot more research under my belt than most people do and here is a website that looks at the past weather and it's VERY informative. I think it should be stickied someplace on the Phoenix site. It would save a lot of questions on here.
You can look at any month, any day in the past. Good stuff. Enjoy.

History | Weather Underground

Look up last summer. June, July and August of last year. In June, you'll see that, for the most part, it was just a little over 100 most of the time and then in July, there were some sizzling days but again, many days are in the low 100's. People complain about those sizzling days and I certainly understand that but you don't hear much when it's 102 or in the 90's as it often is.
Because of such low humidity, high 90's and low 100's is heavenly and waking up to temps of 75 and sunny puts a smile on my face.
It's hot here, just not as hot as many on here would like you to believe.
I've been here about a year now. Obviously I'm a huge Phoenix supporter. I love it here. That might change in a few years but for now, I'll shout out about how great this place is, at least for me.
Thanks for the link, it's very informative on the truth of the weather here! Also, I have never been to Oregon, but want to visit. The pictures look so beautiful. Does Oregon get humid at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area