Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 07:07 AM

214 posts, read 402,876 times

Advertisements

Well we changed our plans and now will be looking for a nice place to stay for a week. I really don't want to pay more than $125 a night. We will have a car and want to explore the entire PHX metro area and do a day trip to Grand Canyon South Rim.

I was looking at Chaparral Suites in Scottsdale, Radisson Fort McDowell Resort, Talking Stick Resort, and the Country Inn & Suites in Deer Valley. Anyone have any experience with these hotels or any other suggestions? Is the Radisson and the CI&S too far out? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 07:36 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,481,088 times
I would not stay in Ft McDowell or Talking Stick if you want to see the whole Valley, and go to the Canyon. That Country Inn and Suites is fine, but from the southeast Valley that's a long drive. I'd try to stay more in the middle of the Valley, central or east Phoenix, maybe in one of the hotels relatively near the airport due to the central location. I have no idea what the rates are, but July should be reasonable -- there's a Hampton Inn on 44th (I happen to be partial to Hamptons, like every one I've stayed in), there's a Holiday Inn high rise on 44th and Washington, and some others in that area.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:55 AM

701 posts, read 1,431,187 times
A "day trip" to the Grand Canyon is really pushing it -- it takes almost 4 hours to get there. As for hotels, the Arizona Biltmore is offering a summer promotion of $99 per night. The promotion expires on May 9th. This is arguably the best hotel in Phoenix. If I was a tourist visiting in July, I would jump on this offer.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:57 AM

391 posts, read 789,366 times
It's not swank but we stayed at Hospitalty suite resort. Stayed there prob 6 times. Always run into people we know from Canada. Free unlimited happy hour by pool. Free breakfast, bacon eggs. Price is usually bout $60 to 70/ night. Excellent location for anywhere in valley. Our real estate agent started recommending it to out of towners

Old 05-06-2012, 09:07 AM

675 posts, read 1,417,631 times
I would recommend an overnite trip to the grand canyon. Stay in one of the hotels in Tusayan. Stop at Sedona on the way up or back.

As for hotels we stayed at the Radisson at the Fort when we came on a househunting weekend a few years back and it was quite nice- but observer is right- that is way off on the eastern edge and not a great choice for a base of operations for touring the area.

I haven't stayed at Talking Stick but it is a pretty good location choice- right off the 101. And they have a great poker room!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:32 AM

19,456 posts, read 27,916,217 times
Don't stay at the Fort or Talking Stick if you want to visit the entire area of Phoenix. You want to stay central.

Don't take a day trip to the GC - it's a four hour drive up, four hour drive back, assuming no traffic. Here's what will happen with that plan - get there, walk to the edge, look at the big hole in the ground, say "gee, whiz, that's so much bigger and more fascinating than I realized from the photographs." You'll want to stay for several days to look at it in different lights. You won't be able to stay more than an hour and have wasted a lot of gas and time to get there. Furthermore, the drive up through Sedona is beautiful and well worth a trip in and of itself.

I'd vote for a separate trip to Sedona and GC. You'll have plenty to do in the Valley of the Sun. But if you really want to do the GC, do an overnight, book the room in the park NOW. It may already be too late to get a reservation in the Park. And again, I wouldn't bother unless you can get a room in the park itself.

Agree that if that special is available at the Biltmore, grab it. Also look at the Phoenician, JW Marriot at Desert Ridge, and other high end, Scottsdale or Biltmore area hotels for similar specials. Be sure to add in the exhorbitant taxes and resort fees.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:50 AM

214 posts, read 402,876 times
Thanks. I probably should have clarified here, but my original GC thread was moved to the AZ forum, and I posted it there. We did opt for the overnight. We're doing the whole cheesy (lol) Grand Canyon Railway overnight package with first class train tickets the next day, minus the food. Heard the food was really bad. Also, the hotels inside the park were all booked for my dates.

The Arizona Biltmore looks wonderful, but the lowest price was $125 per night with AAA discount. Then you add on $12 per day self-parking fee, and I can't remember right now how much for the internet service, and it's just too much. I really don't need swanky so much as I need clean, free wi-fi and free parking. Will look at the suggestions. Thanks again.

Last edited by ILikeEveryone; 05-06-2012 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: Added

Old 05-06-2012, 10:18 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,715,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeEveryone View Post
Thanks. I probably should have clarified here, but my original GC thread was moved to the AZ forum, and I posted it there. We did opt for the overnight. We're doing the whole cheesy (lol) Grand Canyon Railway overnight package with first class train tickets the next day, minus the food. Heard the food was really bad. Also, the hotels inside the park were all booked for my dates.

The Arizona Biltmore looks wonderful, but the lowest price was $125 per night with AAA discount. Then you add on $12 per day self-parking fee, and I can't remember right now how much for the internet service, and it's just too much. I really don't need swanky so much as I need clean, free wi-fi and free parking. Will look at the suggestions. Thanks again.
+1 for Hampton Inns, anywhere in the valley , free wi-fi, clean rooms with decent beds that won't make you ache & a free light breakfast made them my #1 choice when I travelled the country for work.

Fwiw, in your situation I might book a couple different ones near whatever area of town you will be in so you don't have to drive as much.

If you want to save a few bucks, you can usually sign up for the Hilton honors Amex card and get a couple free nights worth of points for doing so. It's one of the few points/miles cards that actually pays off with something you can use. ( earn the points for buying misc stuff during the year, then burn them on vacation at the higher-end hotels, like the double trees, embassy suites, or real Hiltons.

AARP & aaa both get you decent discounts at any of the Hilton hotels- just check the box on their website for aaa or AARP & you'll get the discounted rate.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:50 AM

675 posts, read 1,417,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeEveryone View Post

You will love the GCRR package. We did that about a year ago with my son & his family. Everyone had a blast!!

Old 05-06-2012, 12:18 PM

681 posts, read 1,562,812 times
+1 for Hampton as well. I travel extensively for work and it's always my #1 choice. Not fancy, but clean, comfortable and you know exactly what you're going to get. Hampton always includes parking, internet and breakfast.

We stayed at a Hampton inn in Scottsdale when we were house hunting last spring... think I found it on priceline for $65-$70 night? or that might have been the Hilton on our second trip down?? If you use priceline you can specify star rating and general area as well as other features that you would like... always good deals if you aren't loyal to a particular hotel brand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area