Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 09:48 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,938,126 times

Advertisements

The neighbors directly north of us (us being the house at the very bottom of the picture) have a habit of parking their cars front end first to the curb. I don't know where they got this idea, I've never seen anyone else doing it. In the picture, only one of their cars is home but usually they have 2 or 3 lined up like this. Now the neighbors north of them now started doing it.

They are nice and all, and we say "hi" to each other and all that, so I don't want to be a jerk by telling them to park different or report them but I think it makes the neighborhood look awful. I think the main problem is that they have 3-4 cars total, and a bunch of stuff in the garage so all their cars can't fit in the driveway, but why not park parallel to the curb like normal?

I'm surprised the HOA hasn't done anything about it, we're not even supposed to park on the street, driveway only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 09:53 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post

The neighbors directly north of us (us being the house at the very bottom of the picture) have a habit of parking their cars front end first to the curb. I don't know where they got this idea, I've never seen anyone else doing it. In the picture, only one of their cars is home but usually they have 2 or 3 lined up like this. Now the neighbors north of them now started doing it.

They are nice and all, and we say "hi" to each other and all that, so I don't want to be a jerk by telling them to park different or report them but I think it makes the neighborhood look awful. I think the main problem is that they have 3-4 cars total, and a bunch of stuff in the garage so all their cars can't fit in the driveway, but why not park parallel to the curb like normal?

I'm surprised the HOA hasn't done anything about it, we're not even supposed to park on the street, driveway only.

If this is your biggest concern it seems like a pretty easy way to live.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:15 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,685,057 times
This would definitely qualify under "first world problems."

Old 07-31-2012, 11:18 PM

267 posts, read 692,576 times
Are the city code enforcers in your community looking for a ticket to write?

Old 07-31-2012, 11:34 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,057,787 times
I've occasionally seen this in cul-de-sacs and it does seem unusual....frankly, I wouldn't like it if my neighbors were doing it as it's a bit jerky and dangerous (and blocks the cul-de-sac from it's true purpose of allowing cars to move thru it)....gee, if they'd park parallel to the curb, they wouldn't even have to back up to leave!....do you live in an HOA?

Old 07-31-2012, 11:35 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,914 times
They're clearly trying to be considerate. Think about how many additional cars could park in the cul de sac if everyone pulled in like that. That actually does look like it could be an issue if a fire truck needed to use the street to turn around quickly. Talk to the HOA or call up whatever city you live in and ask them rules and regs about parking like that. Maybe the city can send a notice or an officer to put a citation on their windshield. Just be glad it's not like Tucson where many people seem to just hop the curb and park in their front yard.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:58 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,685,057 times
You know, on second thought, they could be setting up early for December 21st to signal the aliens when they land.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:11 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
The only thing I can see that they are doing illegally is parking where they are obstructing the sidewalk. In most cities you can park that way unless there is a sign that says not to as long as you're not obstructing traffic or pedestrian usage. You can park more cars in a cul-de-sac like that. There looks to be plenty of room for emergency vehicles to negotiate. Where I live there are dozens of cul-de-sacs and many people park that way. Unless there is an ordinace in your area forbidding it then it probably is legal.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:12 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,639 times
Print this out and late at night put it on the windows of his cars.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:54 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,774,850 times
There doesn't appear to be sufficient space in the cul-de-sac to park their 3-4 cars parallel plus have the other neighbors cars parked parallel, without blocking driveways.

I doubt if there are rules that say how one has to park in a cul-de-sac, but the city and your HOA are the sources of this information. Check with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area