Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2012, 03:47 PM

892 posts, read 1,499,892 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in north Glendale, and frankly, I despise living in the city. Always have. Due to an unfortunate career choice of technology and computers (I'm currently a mobile communications tech, and will be going back to school next year to work towards completing my engineering degree, with the eventual hope of becoming an RF Engineer), I'll still be attached somewhat to the big cities until I retire, unless I'm lucky enough to come across a mostly traveling job again. Yeah, I know any tech related field is an excellent choice in the modern world, and I'm certainly not complaining about that, it just doesn't jive well with the desire to live off the beaten path, so to speak.

That said, I've been thinking about buying a house somewhere north of the Valley, perhaps somewhere around the New River area, with the eventual plan to perhaps buy some property further north to get out of the brutal valley summers when I retire (20-30 years down the road).

Which brings to me to the question - especially for those that don't have connections to a certain area due to friends, family, where you vacationed every year, etc, how did you go about choosing an area to move to when moving out of the city? I have plenty of time to decide, as I don't intend to buy anything for at least a year. I've taken a few drives up there, and saw some areas I kind of liked, but most of what I saw was still a bit too cramped for my liking. My hobbies tend to be noisy (automotive repair/building mainly), and I'd like to be far enough away from my neighbors to not have to worry if I'm being too loud. I've had the cops show up a couple times here in the middle of the night for a noise complaint...oops :P

Yet, I don't want to be so far out there that it's a 45 min drive to get gas and groceries, or a 2 hour commute every day (I work at I17 & Peoria). I realize this may be a tall order, and I'm likely to have to compromise somewhere, but again, plenty of time to decide

Is it a matter of just driving around to different areas to see what I might like or not like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 10:06 PM

344 posts, read 812,789 times
Ya, just start driving to different areas.

From where you are, the areas with more space that are still relatively close to your work would be IMO going west on Peoria and others closeby like Cactus or Olive. Drive out past the 120s/130s to the 160s, 170s, etc. then take some time to wander.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:27 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,175,351 times
You do not need to be 2 hours out to get out in the country. 2 hours out is Tucson, Flagstaff & Payson. You can find nice areas near Wickenburg, Globe, Prescott Valley, Cottonwood, etc. You can be close enough to a town for shopping, hospital, etc. yet still be out there. If you want to be north, take a look at the Prescott Valley, just east of Prescott & Skull Valley just west of Prescott. Pretty area, rural and affordable.

If you do not want to be close to neighbors just look for large parcel poperties (2 acre or above).

Old 09-03-2012, 03:31 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,161,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
Yet, I don't want to be so far out there that it's a 45 min drive to get gas and groceries, or a 2 hour commute every day (I work at I17 & Peoria). I realize this may be a tall order, and I'm likely to have to compromise somewhere, but again, plenty of time to decide
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
You do not need to be 2 hours out to get out in the country. 2 hours out is Tucson, Flagstaff & Payson. You can find nice areas near Wickenburg, Globe, Prescott Valley, Cottonwood, etc. You can be close enough to a town for shopping, hospital, etc. yet still be out there. If you want to be north, take a look at the Prescott Valley, just east of Prescott & Skull Valley just west of Prescott. Pretty area, rural and affordable.

If you do not want to be close to neighbors just look for large parcel poperties (2 acre or above).
The o/p works at I-17 and Peoria, and wants something nearby.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:08 PM

892 posts, read 1,499,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
The o/p works at I-17 and Peoria, and wants something nearby.
Nearby, in the sense that I didn't want a 2 hour commute every day. Even Prescott would be a bit far. I was going north for the proximity to I17, for the commute reason...I'm thinking Black Canyon City would be about as far out as I'd want to go, and even that would be a bit far. New River would be doable though.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:44 AM

2,276 posts, read 3,077,907 times
I agree with New River, but there are also some areas South and East of Anthem that might be worth looking into. Also some areas near Cave Buttes and the Sonoran Desert Preserve. Those would be a bit closer than New River, too.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:04 AM

56 posts, read 156,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
I agree with New River, but there are also some areas South and East of Anthem that might be worth looking into.
We live in Desert Hills - it's just below Anthem about a mile North of Carefree Highway. Our address is Phoenix, though we have our own water as well as private garbage pickup (though we sure do pay the same taxes as other phoenicians).

I lived in Scottsdale for about 13 years before moving up here. We chose it because the lots are generally at least an acre so we're not jammed up against each other, I-17 is close by for commute and it feels like a rural area. Lots of horses and even a couple camels Though the home prices have been steadily increasing over the summer, there are still a lot of good bargains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area