Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 04:34 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,166,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Tourism in the Phoenix area is a major industry.
Ok, then the tower seems more of a feasible idea.

Quote:
Who are "they"? It's my understanding that this project is privately funded (I may be wrong though). If that's the case, why would someone whose business is building landmark structures want to get into the festival or restaurant business?
"They" refers not only to the developers in this case but also developers in general, as well as the city leaders (who should encourage that sort of development) and the citizens of Phoenix (who themselves should encourage that kind of development and drive it).

Old 05-26-2014, 04:39 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Ok, then the tower seems more of a feasible idea.

"They" refers not only to the developers in this case but also developers in general, as well as the city leaders (who should encourage that sort of development) and the citizens of Phoenix (who themselves should encourage that kind of development and drive it).
Our downtown core could be stronger but we have tons of festivals, bars, restaurants and events. I see this as something in addition to all that. Not as an alternative or a replacement. It's not like Phoenix is just a bunch of houses, some dirt and this proposed tower.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:41 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
In any case, I'm tired of hearing about how our mountains serve as iconic landmarks. Most of the mountains around here are low elevation brown hills, not true mountains, and not all that beautiful. As the nation's sixth largest city, there should be more of a push for a denser urban core and iconic structures. Seriously, who wants to hike up Camelback Mountain in the blazing summer heat just for a spectacular view??? I know there are some people who do just that, but they are idiots in my mind because they are risking heat stroke & death.
What is a true mountain? While you may not find the mountains here unique or beautiful, the hoards of tourists and residents who swarm Piestewa, Camelback, South Mountain, and the McDowell Mountains seem to disagree. Why would anyone want to go up in some structure, shorter than the Chase Building, to look around the Valley when you could climb mountains that are between 1,000-3,000 feet higher than the Valley floor and look around?

Phoenix is too spread out for a downtown full of skyscrapers. All the big companies are locating in low and mid rise buildings out in the suburbs.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,125 times
I definitely think that Phoenix needs a landmark. Nothing here quite says "This is Phoenix" without entering some kind of caption underneath a picture. And that floating vagina that cost us millions doesn't count. The honey comb shape idea is different for Phoenix, but I think it could work. Definitely would be great for our famous AZ sunsets,
I love the mountains as much as the next guy, but not all of us want to hike to see Phoenix.
The location works. It's in the heart of all the downtown attractions and I'm tired of seeing things being built so far away.
Building it in "uptown aka wanna be downtown Phoenix is idiotic. There's nothing in uptown but corporate buildings.
Everyone complains that there's not much to do because everything is so spread out, but then complained when things are built closely because it creates traffic.
Phoenix doesn't have much of a skyline for two reasons 1: Developers about 50 years ago thought "big" and made the mistake of building too far north of downtown and 2: Height restrictions. It's so close to Sky Harbor that I doubt anything will be built taller than Chase Bank.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 312217 View Post
I definitely think that Phoenix needs a landmark. Nothing here quite says "This is Phoenix" without entering some kind of caption underneath a picture. And that floating vagina that cost us millions doesn't count. The honey comb shape idea is different for Phoenix, but I think it could work. Definitely would be great for our famous AZ sunsets,
I love the mountains as much as the next guy, but not all of us want to hike to see Phoenix.
The location works. It's in the heart of all the downtown attractions and I'm tired of seeing things being built so far away.
Building it in "uptown aka wanna be downtown Phoenix is idiotic. There's nothing in uptown but corporate buildings.
Everyone complains that there's not much to do because everything is so spread out, but then complained when things are built closely because it creates traffic.
Phoenix doesn't have much of a skyline for two reasons 1: Developers about 50 years ago thought "big" and made the mistake of building too far north of downtown and 2: Height restrictions. It's so close to Sky Harbor that I doubt anything will be built taller than Chase Bank.
Where is this floating vagina that you speak of?

Old 05-29-2014, 02:16 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,742,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Where is this floating vagina that you speak of?
I suspect that he/she is talking about Janet Eschelman's "Her Secret is Patience" aerial sculpture in Civic Space Park. Typical negativism, make up an ugly sounding name for something you don't like.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I suspect that he/she is talking about Janet Eschelman's "Her Secret is Patience" aerial sculpture in Civic Space Park. Typical negativism, make up an ugly sounding name for something you don't like.
Vaginas are ugly? I think the art piece is cool.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:42 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 312217 View Post
If it stays downtown, it can't be made tall enough to make any sort of "statement" or provide views better than you can get elsewhere, including views of the sunset. Taking it a bit farther north would allow it to be a lot taller.

We had a long discussion here before this idea was ever hatched about whether Phoenix needed some sort of architectural landmark. I'm not at all convinced that we do, and if this design and location is the best we can do, forget it, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area