Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 11:22 AM

181 posts, read 439,968 times

Advertisements

They now have these in Virginia. I was wondering if anyone had seen them around here. I really think Costco is shooting themselves in the foot by not having express lines. I walked out of there the other day without my items because the lines were pathetically long at Christown. Four CFL bulbs for 99 cents is a great deal, but I feel insulted when they only have two lines open, and what appears to be about 50 people on the time clock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 11:26 AM

606 posts, read 1,607,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrey View Post
They now have these in Virginia. I was wondering if anyone had seen them around here. I really think Costco is shooting themselves in the foot by not having express lines. I walked out of there the other day without my items because the lines were pathetically long at Christown. Four CFL bulbs for 99 cents is a great deal, but I feel insulted when they only have two lines open, and what appears to be about 50 people on the time clock.
Not at 44th St & Oak or 19th Ave & Montebello, I cannot speak on the other locations.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:27 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,238,953 times
They don't have them in the Avondale Costco or the Costco we visited in Mesa. They did have them in the Costco in Clarkston WA when we visited family there and was the first I had seen them.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:00 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,459,534 times
They sure make a lot of sense, especially for those who might go in there for just a few things, and not a cartload of cases of stuff.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:05 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,732,811 times
Cannot speak for COSTCO, BlueGrey . . .

However, about a year or so ago, the local Albertson's eliminated their Self-Service Lanes primarily due to, according to a number of employees, THEFT and SHOPLIFTING.

I definitely miss them but fully understand their reasoning.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:51 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,607,555 times
It's available at the Chandler location (Galleria Way) behind Chandler Fashion Mall. Took me a bit to figure out how to grab a scanner, but have since used it a few times. It's pretty slick and like to hear the "beee-boooop" each time I scan an item.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:58 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Scan and Go is the latest thing and will make self-checkout antiquated. With it, you scan items with your cell phone as you buy them, put them in your cart and check out by scanning the phone at a special register. So far it is only in test mode and only on iPhone. But soon it will be out in Walmart and SamClub on Androad as well with NFC "bump" checkout. The times they a-changin' as retailers try to figure more ways to get consumers to do the work for them. One of these days, they are going to have you stock the shelves for them as well.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:16 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,613,701 times
No self service at the Arrowhead Costco. But I will add they usually have every line open. I think the Arrowhead Costco might be the busiest in the city. It services Glendale, Peoria, Surprise, and the Sun Cities.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:02 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,706,603 times
The lines always move super-quick at the costco i go to.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:06 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,238,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Scan and Go is the latest thing and will make self-checkout antiquated. With it, you scan items with your cell phone as you buy them, put them in your cart and check out by scanning the phone at a special register. So far it is only in test mode and only on iPhone. But soon it will be out in Walmart and SamClub on Androad as well with NFC "bump" checkout. The times they a-changin' as retailers try to figure more ways to get consumers to do the work for them. One of these days, they are going to have you stock the shelves for them as well.
That would seem to invite theft, wonder how they will address that? At costco you have a few large items and they check your cart as you leave the place but in a grocery store we have a cart full of bags of small items when we leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area