Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 10:00 PM

6 posts, read 7,516 times

Advertisements

Myself and my husband, along with our two young children, are relocating within the year from Atlanta, GA to the Phoenix area for his work. Neither of us have ever been to Phoenix areas and planning a move to a foreign place from so many miles away is overwhelming and confusing to say the least. So I kind of need a lot of help in understanding and scouting the safest areas to move my family as well as what areas to avoid. We are wanting to live in the suburbs of the city so we've been looking at a few of them. But pretty much cleanliness and safety is my top priority!

I'd love to be able to mimic the lifestyle we have here; Quiet, safe, welcoming and friendly.
Obviously, Scottsdale would be ideal but for our housing requirements it's kind of out of our budget. But we've also been looking into Gilbert, Chandler, Northern Avondale, as well as Deer Valley. We are planning to rent for the first year or two before we decide to purchase a home. Ideally we would like to be close enough to shopping, family friendly activities, ect. I'm a stay at home mom so a good neighborhood is a MUST! As well as to know the specific areas that I should avoid as I have absolutely ZERO street savvy.

I know I'm rambling now so ANYTHING WILL HELP and make this chaotic move so much easier! Thank you so much for your time!! God Bless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 10:11 PM

7,329 posts, read 12,388,560 times
Gilbert is very family-friendly. Some good neighborhoods in Gilbert where I found some rentals include Freeman Farms, Power Ranch, Seville, Lyon's Gate, and Evans Ranch.

When you decide to purchase, consider a newbuild home, since new homes will generally be more energy-efficient, saving money in the long run. My favorite builder in the Valley is Fulton Homes, followed by Shea Homes and then Pulte Homes.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:15 PM

1,112 posts, read 4,005,848 times
Gilbert could be a great location. It could also be a HORRIBLE location, depending on where your husband will be commuting to work.

Where will he be working?

Old 02-10-2013, 10:34 PM

595 posts, read 1,259,828 times
Default on right track

Looks like you've got your eye on some safer, family orientated areas. Depending on your husband's job, that would make up my mind whether or not to focus on the north or south end of metro Phoenix.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:28 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,744,307 times
It will depend on where your husband's job is located. There are plenty of neighborhoods in the valley that would meet your criteria.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,502,742 times
The location of your husband's work will be a major factor.

Since the move is not happening on any urgent basis, you need to come out here and look around so that you have an idea of what, or where, works best for you. Renting a place here (or anywhere) without ever having seen this area is a difficult thing to do.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:08 AM

Wow! Thanks for all of the replies!

He will be working for Mister Sparky Electrical so he will be dispatched all over the area. Some days he will commute from home and others he will commute to the shop. Right now where we live the shop is around 40mins away from our house so travel time is no stranger to him! I think the only place we've ruled out on account of distance is Surprise. Other than that our priority is to live in a safe/clean town and community!

So based on that...what do you guys think?

Old 02-11-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The location of your husband's work will be a major factor.

Since the move is not happening on any urgent basis, you need to come out here and look around so that you have an idea of what, or where, works best for you. Renting a place here (or anywhere) without ever having seen this area is a difficult thing to do.
They are also planning to fly my husband out for a couple of days for his face to face interview and I'm planning to tag along and we're going to scout areas that we find desirable, but with that said it's hard to really dig for facts and get good ideas about places on such a limited amount of time. I've considered contacting Real Estate Agents but I know that "Legally" they can not tell you which areas you should avoid and which are more appealing than others (or so I've read). So I figured that reaching out to members of these communities would help me narrow down my search options easily considering that no one is getting a commission off of helping me out haha

Old 02-11-2013, 11:35 AM

19,460 posts, read 27,942,042 times
Is this where the shop is located? https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...ed=0CDYQ8gEwAA

If so, that's just west of the airport. If he's going there half the time, then going all over the valley the other half of the time, I'd be looking in Tempe or maybe North and West Chandler. Or South Scottsdale, if you can find what you want there (they will be older homes). I'd also consider parts of North Phoenix.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:56 AM

I do believe that is the shop. There are 2 or 3 more (I think) but when we talked to them I think thats the one they're putting him in. I read that Tempe was a really college-life friendly area (more fast-paced than what we're looking for) so we haven't been looking there but if I hear good endorsements of it then that will be a place I will certainly check out! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area