Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2015, 03:23 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,332,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
I'm considering an acacia aneura to replace my sissoo once the rootball is out. It doesn't go nowhere near as big and they aren't as messy. They also have a nice silvery color to them.

Just looked it up on a few local nurserys...you might not find this tree in a 15 gallon...looks like most only sell them in a 24" or 36" box.
How long to get the rootball out?

I worry that planting something so soon after removing the Sissoo and watering that spot will only encourage the Sissoo to make a triumphant return!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 03:29 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
So per HOA rules you must have one 15 gallon tree in your front yard. Anyone recommend something that doesn't get big (we don't need shade) and with non-invasive roots? Basically just to meet requirement but nothing that will cause this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
I'm considering an acacia aneura to replace my sissoo once the rootball is out. It doesn't go nowhere near as big and they aren't as messy. They also have a nice silvery color to them.

Just looked it up on a few local nurserys...you might not find this tree in a 15 gallon...looks like most only sell them in a 24" or 36" box.
Funny, I was just going to recommend the acaia aneura also. Also called a "Mulga" btw at some of the nurseries. Nice shape and compact size, silvery color as Bungle stated, low water, easy care, etc. We had one at another home we owned and it took southwest reflected heat off a block wall without a care. It also throws out rod shaped yellow flowers randomly throughout the year. The biggest downside to it is once a year, it drops some seed pods. I would clip them off the tree when I saw the pods starting to grow and it saved some time cleaning up the pods later. Not really a big deal to me as all trees drop something in the end.

An Ironwood Tree is another one of my favorites. It gets much bigger than a Mulga but it's slow growing. And it's a native tree and its water requirements are very low.

If you like palms, you might be able to satisfy HOA requirements by putting in something like a Mediterranean Fan Palm or a Pindo Palm. Pindo's have silvery/green fronds and are fairly compact. Very graceful looking though requires more watering.

Pindo Palm for Sale | Cold Hardy Arizona Palm Trees - Moon Valley Nursery

Old 09-16-2015, 05:59 PM

So how long is recommended before planting another tree in the spot where the Sissoo was located? Wouldn't watering a new tree in that same area just promote the Sissoo to grow back right away? Would the roots from the new roots suffocate them out instead?

Beautiful tree recommended on the acaia aneura. How tall does it get?

The arborist thought maybe a Purple Plum tree would be good. Not too tall but nice color. Thoughts?

Old 09-16-2015, 07:07 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Mine was still sending up suckers this spring...it isn't now but I don't know if that means it is dead or just waiting for the heat to pass. I removed mine over a year ago so it took a long time.

The orange tree I placed in its spot is doing well.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Mine was still sending up suckers this spring...it isn't now but I don't know if that means it is dead or just waiting for the heat to pass. I removed mine over a year ago so it took a long time.

The orange tree I placed in its spot is doing well.
I looked back through the thread and found your post where you put the orange tree in that corner spot where the Sissoo was located.

Did you do this immediately after taking out the Sissoo or did you wait awhile? Is replacing right away better than waiting?

Thanks for all the help in this thread. We are very tired this week from dealing with all of it. Plumbing is fixed after two full days of work with a 4 man crew. A company came with a fair quote to remove tree, use root killer and then two weeks later come grind the stump. We will be removing this tree within the week.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:45 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
The orange went in the same day they removed the sissoo. Dug out the root ball and planted the orange tree. The orange is looking great now.

Sorry to hear about all your troubles. Luckily I got mine out before it did anymore damage.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:50 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
Ours was planted in 2009 and removed in 2014. They ground the stump, used some chemicals, have never had suckers come up. Integrity Tree Service. Replaced it with a Fan-Tex Ash nearby the spot.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Ours was planted in 2009 and removed in 2014. They ground the stump, used some chemicals, have never had suckers come up. Integrity Tree Service. Replaced it with a Fan-Tex Ash nearby the spot.
Tree is coming out Saturday. Company will cut and drill holes for the Root Killer. Come back 2 weeks later and grind the stump.

That ash looks like it expands quite a bit. I'd like a smaller tree that doesn't get very tall, and I read we can satisfy the 15 gallon requirement in the front yard with something like a Med Fan palm. Wife has ash allergies so those are out.

I'm open to other ideas that are smallish footprint but meet our requirement. I am petitioning the HOA to not make us plant another tree for a while. Lots of vegetation in the front yard and I don't really like the idea of planting a new tree in the general area where the Sissoo was and watering those roots still there.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:39 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
Tree is coming out Saturday. Company will cut and drill holes for the Root Killer. Come back 2 weeks later and grind the stump.

That ash looks like it expands quite a bit. I'd like a smaller tree that doesn't get very tall, and I read we can satisfy the 15 gallon requirement in the front yard with something like a Med Fan palm. Wife has ash allergies so those are out.

I'm open to other ideas that are smallish footprint but meet our requirement. I am petitioning the HOA to not make us plant another tree for a while. Lots of vegetation in the front yard and I don't really like the idea of planting a new tree in the general area where the Sissoo was and watering those roots still there.
Given the amount of damage it costs I think you'd have a good case with your HOA board to hold off on planting. Especially if you're pumping a lot of root killer into the area. You don't want your new one to die off quickly because of it.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:17 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
We had little or no problems with the chemicals that were used to kill the roots. The tree that we planted a couple of months after the sissoo's departure has thrived. The grass over the area has filled in but is a little anemic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area