Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 11:13 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,139,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Our next door neighbor's Sissoo trees have destroyed their own driveway. There are places the concrete has heaved at least three inches. Our drive is starting to show a little bit of movement now. What to do? This is one of those delicate neighbor situations. We're on very good terms with them today, but there's really never been any sort of conflict to be resolved.
Offer to split the cost of removing the tree and roots. It'll preserve your relationship and save you money in the long run from not having to repair your driveway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 06:12 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,050,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Offer to split the cost of removing the tree and roots. It'll preserve your relationship and save you money in the long run from not having to repair your driveway.

That assumes the neighbor wishes to take down the tree. That may or may not be the case.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:09 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,724,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
That assumes the neighbor wishes to take down the tree. That may or may not be the case.

My neighbors were very surprised when I pointed out to them that the huge weed in the middle of their front lawn was in fact a runner from their sissoo on the other side of their driveway. Maybe your neighbor just doesn't know?

Old 05-01-2019, 07:44 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,045,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Agree. Friendly neighbors are priceless.

BTW, sissoo is not the only tree that does this (sends out underground runners). I had a volunteer weeping acacia that did the same thing. Little shoots would appear in my lawn (only to be mowed down when I cut the grass.) I got rid of the tree. Poplars and aspen do the same thing (where they grow in cold climates.)

Old 05-11-2019, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,662 times
Default Sissoo treatment

I hired an incompetent tree company to remove two Sissoos planted by the previous owner of the house last November. I researched on the Net, that you need to drill holes in the stump and apply herbicide. The tree company insisted grounding the stumps will kill them. I made the mistake of relying on the so call professionals. Sure enough, this spring suckers started showing up. The company said they will not do any follow up as it is months after the treatment. I have since found parts of the stump that were not ground, which no doubt is connected to the root system. Luckily, the tree company did not in fact grind all parts as they claimed. I have dug up parts and cut them so that I could apply Tordun RTU. It appears to be working for the first tree. I also apply Round Up to individual suckers. Is anyone else is doing something similar? I hope to have the second tree remnants under control shortly with a similar treatment. Bottom line, treat the stump while the root system is in tact! I am not sure if I can post the incompetent and rude company name in this forum I dealt with, but will on social media for Tucson shortly.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:48 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,213,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson555 View Post
I hired an incompetent tree company to remove two Sissoos planted by the previous owner of the house last November. I researched on the Net, that you need to drill holes in the stump and apply herbicide. The tree company insisted grounding the stumps will kill them. I made the mistake of relying on the so call professionals. Sure enough, this spring suckers started showing up. The company said they will not do any follow up as it is months after the treatment. I have since found parts of the stump that were not ground, which no doubt is connected to the root system. Luckily, the tree company did not in fact grind all parts as they claimed. I have dug up parts and cut them so that I could apply Tordun RTU. It appears to be working for the first tree. I also apply Round Up to individual suckers. Is anyone else is doing something similar? I hope to have the second tree remnants under control shortly with a similar treatment. Bottom line, treat the stump while the root system is in tact! I am not sure if I can post the incompetent and rude company name in this forum I dealt with, but will on social media for Tucson shortly.
It takes patience but you will win the battle. Just pull out any shoots. The roots can not remain viable without the leaves to provide nutrients. Eventually they die. Mine took two seasons. The roots, while still alive, will send up shoots anywhere you damage them as well.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:58 PM

9 posts, read 6,204 times
I've spent 4 years trying to kill a bamboo plant. No amount of digging out the root system, salting the earth or constant herbicide on the shoots will kill the beast. The smallest rhizome finds a way to survive.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:21 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,045,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryHarris View Post
I've spent 4 years trying to kill a bamboo plant. No amount of digging out the root system, salting the earth or constant herbicide on the shoots will kill the beast. The smallest rhizome finds a way to survive.
Yeah, that's why garden books like Sunset will recommend that you first install some type of root containment material in the ground. BTW, They make these plastic edging materials that are very substantial and contain the bamboo's root system. They're used for newly planted shade trees near sidewalks too--keeps the roots growing down, then out eventually.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,662 times
Would pulling the shoots be better than treating them with herbicide? I think sending something down to the roots would be more effective. I hope this is not a four year battle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area