Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2016, 06:10 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,057,136 times

Advertisements

Cause we didn't know any better???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 06:11 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,741,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Why would anyone in North America purposefully plant something that's native to the Indian subcontinent?
Why would anyone NOT do such a thing unless there was information that it was harmful? We purposely and knowingly planted two she-oaks in our yard, understanding that they were native to Australia. Where did we go wrong?

Sissoos turned out to be a bad idea, but their country of origin was not the reason.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:28 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,466,408 times
Quote:
Why would anyone in North America purposefully plant something that's native to the Indian subcontinent?
inchingwest, there's a huge list of many non-native trees and plants that grow well in our low desert climate/soil. For example, many plants/trees from Australia grow very well here as certain parts of Australia have similiar weather/rainfall as our desert. Surprisingly, many sub tropical/tropical plants do very well in our heat. Lantana, bougainvillea, citrus, pygmy palms, etc thrive/do very well here. And many of the non-native plants/trees are very low water users.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:40 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,334,659 times
Quote:
Because finding something that thrives and grows big in the desert southwest is a goal for many people and not very easy?

The issues weren't known until it was too late. Just because something isn't native, doesn't mean it can't be used and adapted for low desert use. Many plants found here are just that and do well.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:25 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,220,381 times
Quote:

If we stuck with that way of thinking we wouldn't have many of the fruits/vegetable/grains/flowers/plants that we grow and enjoy today. Most things we grow are native to somewhere else.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:05 AM

157 posts, read 356,417 times
I removed the only sissoo we had in our backyard during the first week of September due to the mess it made and the hours spent cleaning up the pool after monsoons. Tree was 7 years old. I cut the stump as low to the ground as I could and then drilled about 20 holes in it. Over the course of the next 3 days immediately following its removal, I filled those holes with roundup twice a day. It is now December and the only shoots I had come up was 1tiny one about 15 feet from the tree. I'll keep updated in how it goes when spring rolls around.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:15 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,695,586 times
I doubt you used the concentrate RoundUp which is 41% active ingredient.
Get some and use it, it will kill anything fast.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:27 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,057,136 times
My Sissoo "volunteers" have slacked off considerably since the 3 stumps were ground down and I kept pulling out the babies for months. But there are still a few coming back, even though I have poured Round up, WD40, vinegar, and oil on them. You would think they would find another yard to come up in.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:21 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,334,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedus View Post
I removed the only sissoo we had in our backyard during the first week of September due to the mess it made and the hours spent cleaning up the pool after monsoons. Tree was 7 years old. I cut the stump as low to the ground as I could and then drilled about 20 holes in it. Over the course of the next 3 days immediately following its removal, I filled those holes with roundup twice a day. It is now December and the only shoots I had come up was 1tiny one about 15 feet from the tree. I'll keep updated in how it goes when spring rolls around.
Wait until summer. Those new shoots love the heat!

Any time I find a shoot, I dig down and find the root. I poor straight stump killer on it. It seemed to have lessen how many appeared this fall. Hopefully by this time next year, I am rarely doing this. Just keep being very diligent I have heard. Don't go weeks without pulling the shoots.

Good luck!

Old 12-02-2016, 10:43 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedus View Post
Roundup does you no good on dead stumps, it's only active on green vegetation. It's absorbed throught the green leaves and stems then transported to the roots. With Soosoo's you need to spray the new vegetation as it appears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area