Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 12:43 PM

6 posts, read 7,163 times

Advertisements

Quick follow-up on this, I have an arborist coming out tomorrow morning to give me an idea of what I'm up against with these 3 separate root systems causing damage all over my property (brick walls, driveway, pavers...). I'll post what they say and what I end up doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 03:22 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,220,381 times
It took me about two years of continuing to pull up the suckers and dig up roots before they finally stopped. I had suckers popping up 40-50 feet away on the opposite site of the house.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:06 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,045,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
We have a bunch of live oak in our neighborhood and a couple things I've noticed is that they are very slow growing and don't look much larger than when they were put in 5 years ago. They all still have their stakes holding them up against the wind.

Also, they drop a ton of acorns at certain times of the year. The sidewalks are covered in acorns and I'd not want that in my yard.

I had two Chinese Elm's put in my front yard when we moved in. One of them was blown over and killed in a windstorm (a really bad storm) and the other one is doing great. Only problem is that they lose all their leaves once a year so you'll have the mess to deal with and a bare tree for the winter.

We replaced the Chinese Elm that blew over with a Brazilian Pepper tree and so far so good, it doesn't lose any leaves and is growing great. Not very old yet so can't comment on the long term of it.
The oaks you mentioned are growing slowly because of improper care, not because they're slow growing trees (they're not.)
They're native to the SE USA such as southern GA, north FL, etc. so they want ample irrigation. Also, they benefit from annual applications if zinc in the spring before new leaves push out ( just like pecan trees need.) Chelated zinc works best in my experience.

I see little redeeming qualities of sisso trees. Not good form, no fall color, no showy flowers. What's to like, other than it's green?

Old 06-05-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfyycCold View Post
LBTRS - we have a Brazillian Pepper tree in our yard that was planted when the house was built in 1998.

We love it, but it does drop leaves... lots of leaves. It doesn't appear to ever go dormant and lose all of it's leaves, just a constant throughout the year so it always looks lovely and green. The leaves are really easy to rake up on the grass and to pick up off gravel with the blower on vacuum mode - so it doesn't bother us at all.... our neighbour, who removed ALL of his landscaping and has only rock in his backyard, hates it. LOL
I don't know about here, but these trees become enormous in So. Cal. Watch out.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastike View Post
My biggest concern is the previous owners having 3 of these planted so closely to the house for the last 13 years has led to a pretty crazy root system underneath the house. There was even a small shooter coming out from under the OTHER side of the house (opposite side of this picture). They're obviously getting water that's been draining under the house from rain, etc over the years. All things considered, I'm worried I'm facing some pretty large ($$$$$) foundational repair in the future, and that's not even considering trying to remove the root system that's around and under the house.
Who would be so stupid to plant these weeds close to a foundation? smh..

Old 06-05-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusland View Post
What was wrong with eucalyptus?

Right now I have a bottle tree and I am pulling my hair out. It drops such a massive amount of leaves, limbs and massive pods year round I am seriously considering tearing it out, but it provides a ton of shade. I am scared though that due to its limb dropping tendencies it will drop one that will do damage.
Keep it!! Shade is priceless in this hot city.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:50 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,724,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post

In my case it was the builder (former model home). They liked them because the grow very green very fast.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:51 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,213,988 times
Quote:
These trees were the go to tree a few years ago. Hundreds of them line the streets in subdivisions in Goodyear that were built around recession time. From what I can tell passing by on the roads, they really have not been a problem. I don't see heaving sidewalks or walls falling. The secret, I think, is not to plant them in a lawn setting, but only where they can get limited water near their base. That seems to keep the roots in check though I suppose the small root ball will make them more likely to topple in a windstorm.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times
Quote:
The oaks you mentioned are growing slowly because of improper care, not because they're slow growing trees (they're not.)
They're native to the SE USA such as southern GA, north FL, etc. so they want ample irrigation. Also, they benefit from annual applications if zinc in the spring before new leaves push out ( just like pecan trees need.) Chelated zinc works best in my experience.

I see little redeeming qualities of sisso trees. Not good form, no fall color, no showy flowers. What's to like, other than it's green?
Sun City West is ripping out all of the Ornamental Orange trees and possibly a lot of the Palms and replacing them with Live Oaks. They say they take less care and watering than the Orange trees and you can control how fast they grow.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 3,291 times
Default Heed this guys warning!!

Yes, this tree is a pain. Stay away from planting in a regular residential yard. They grow offshoots and now that we had ours and the other "'volunteer trees" about 20 feet away cut down and the stump removed, it is sending shoots ALL over our yard. I've been told it is all but impossible to get rid of. Heed this guys warning!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area