Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2024, 08:33 PM

966 posts, read 1,344,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaeebs86 View Post
I vaguely remember going to a very dusty Boy Scout Jamboree in that general area in the mid 70's.
That was 1976 at McCormick ranch, I was there, troop 3. The day we came home, a kid from my troop rode home with me and my mom, that night he was killed by a drunk driver hit and run on Thomas Rd just west of 59th ave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2024, 08:48 AM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
My sister is part of a Facebook forum that has a lot of old Phoenix-area photos, and she sent me one like this yesterday. The Scottsdale PD, in the mid-70s, had three Bricklin SV-1 cars modded to police duty. The company made the cars in New Brunswick but a lot of problems plagued production, and the company failed after a couple years.

I remember how these were not really police cars, more for public relations, since the doors took 12 seconds to open or close (24 total for a cycle) and the batteries were very sensitive to summer heat, in abundance in the Valley.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 02-05-2024 at 08:56 AM..

Old 02-14-2024, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 905 times
Tuzi,

Do you remember Miss Marguerite?

Old 02-17-2024, 07:58 PM

214 posts, read 646,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RescuedGirl View Post
Tuzi,

Do you remember Miss Marguerite?
Try to "quote" when you ask a question regarding a previous post.

Old 02-22-2024, 07:17 AM

4 posts, read 4,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Wow, this is a great thread!

I moved to PHX in 1961 when I was 4 and it was my first air flight - Sky Harbor was tarmac, they rolled the steps out to the planes, and planes had propellers (gad I'm old ).

We lived off of 44th, between Indian School and Campbell. I went to Kachina Elementary and what I remember most was the huge row of date palms that towered over the playground and ran along a huge canal. This was at 44th & Campbell.

My grandmother had a Studebaker and she'd drive over to Scottsdale to pay the utility bills. I seem to recall hitching posts in near the city and county buildings back then - or was I just dreaming as a kid? I do recall that there wasn't much after you crossed the canal on 44th however.

We used to go to Pete's Fish N Chips on Indian School, and I'd walk up to the Circle K at 44th/Indian School to pick up stuff for my grandmother. Our favorite Mexican restaurant was on Indian School, about 5-6 blocks past 44th. I don't remember the name, not even sure it's still there, but boy was it good! The house on the corner of our street took up about 3 lots and had a barn. It was really neat at sunset to watch the bats flying out, in search of the evening's meal. I remember going to a drive-in, although I don't remember where it was - had to be in the same general area, since my grandmother never drove very far. We also went to a huge city pool in the summer. My best memories are about being a kid in Phoenix and riding my bike all over that part of town. I was Christopher Columbus, out to discover the New World!

I moved to SoCal in 1967. I wasn't able to visit Phoenix again until 2001. Obviously the changes were huge. The school is long gone, Equity Residential has apartments where the K-4 buildings once stood, and the back sports fields are now Kachina Park. While it was sad to see the school gone, I was so happy to see the awesome date palms I remembered as a child still standing guard over the canal. The house was still there, too - only thing changed in the neighborhood was the type of cars parked in the driveway. Pete's Fish N chips was no longer on Indian School, they've moved to the old Circle K on 44th.

I didn't visit again until 2007, and sometime in the prior 6 years, someone bought my gran's old house, tore it down and built some huge western wagon wheel monstrosity on the lot (way too big for the lot and neighborhood). Other than that, though, things were the same. I visit often now, since I'm so close, and I always find time to drive by the old neighborhood every time I visit. Personally, I'm impressed with the growth and changes. I think the east freeways are by far the prettiest highways I've seen. Phoenix has done a good job of growing up.
Wow, I used to walk past your house on the way to school probably. I lived on Montecito and the canal was behind my back yard. Sometimes I'd take Turney, Roma, or Genrosa to School, but if I was in a hurry I'd take Montecito to Cambell. Pete's Fish and Chips was my favorite place!

Old 02-22-2024, 07:26 AM

50,332 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I already posted about living there in the late 1960s. I remember the ditches flooding and that was how the lawns got watered. Do they still do that?

Also, another person who lived in the apartments taught at an Indian school. Do they still have those?

Old 02-22-2024, 08:12 AM

7,165 posts, read 9,216,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I already posted about living there in the late 1960s. I remember the ditches flooding and that was how the lawns got watered. Do they still do that?

Also, another person who lived in the apartments taught at an Indian school. Do they still have those?
We still have irrigation. There are some ditches. A lot have been replaced by concrete pipes.

The Indian School is now a park.

https://www.phoenix.gov/parks/parks/...-indian-school

Old 03-24-2024, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 364 times
Default Easy Does It

Quote:
Originally Posted by toextra View Post
I remember this show and have asked before on the forum if anyone else remembered it. The show was called "Easy Does It" (the human character was named Easy) and the ghost puppet was named Herman Spoot. (Not making this up!) I remember watching it around 1958 or so. I was actually in the studio audience once but don't remember much detail. It was definitely on KTAR 12.

As was sometimes the case on Wallace, some of the humor went over us kids' heads. I remember my mom laughing at things that I didn't get.
Herman SPOOK was the ghost puppet's name and the theme music to the show was the classical tune "Hall Of The Mountain King" You're right it was 1958. One day I'd watch "It's Wallace" and the next day I'd watch "Easy Does It" . Don't recall how long it was on the air. Not very long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area