Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 10:32 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,937,571 times

Advertisements

At least we don't have eight foot scorpions any longer:

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Man-sized sea scorpion claw found

(I swear they are making this stuff up.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,178 times
Does anyone know if a scorpion sting can kill small dogs? Has anyone's dog been stung by a scorpion? Very interested in this topic

Old 11-23-2007, 02:12 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
As for New England - you'll see LOTS of bugs and snakes up there. Most homes are older and not as weather proofed as AZ homes are, so don't think you'll be getting away from them by moving to New England. And don't go hiking at all either - we saw lots of snakes and bugs hiking in New England and the mid-Atlantic region
First you tell people not to live in fearof animals, then you tell them not to go hiking in New England? Doesnt make any sense. And if youre trying to make New England out to be scary, everyone on here will probably laugh at you, seriously. New England is 100% safer to live in (wildlife wise) than Arizona. There are no black widows, no recluses, no giant centipedes, no scorpions, no killer bees, and only one endangered species of rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus---timber rattlesnake), no mountain lions, etc, etc, etc. There may be alot of snakes in New England, but theyre as harmful as puppy dog.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:09 PM

647 posts, read 3,341,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
First you tell people not to live in fearof animals, then you tell them not to go hiking in New England? Doesnt make any sense. And if youre trying to make New England out to be scary, everyone on here will probably laugh at you, seriously. New England is 100% safer to live in (wildlife wise) than Arizona. There are no black widows, no recluses, no giant centipedes, no scorpions, no killer bees, and only one endangered species of rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus---timber rattlesnake), no mountain lions, etc, etc, etc. There may be alot of snakes in New England, but theyre as harmful as puppy dog.
Go back and read my post more carefully, b/c you obviously didn't do that the first time.

First - I never told the poster "not to be afraid of animals." I said that scorpions are not something that one should be so terrified of that one greatly alters their life to avoid them. Being afraid to get into bed every night is no way to live your life.

Second, I said, to someone who has said numerous times that she IS afraid of bugs, that she should NOT go hiking in New England b/c she WILL see bugs, snakes and various other "animals" if she does, just like you're likely to see them here in AZ and every other state. My point being that bugs are EVERYWHERE.

Third, I never said New England is "scary." Seriously - as usual, you are fabulous at putting words in people's typing fingers. Aside from the politics, New England is most certainly NOT scary, in my opinion and I most definitely never said it was.

I said, to someone who is terrified of scorpions and creepy crawlies in general, that she will NOT escape them in New England. I did NOT say that New England has more dangerous bugs then AZ. I said that you will NOT escape bugs in New England. And you won't. You might find snakes, harmless or not, in your cellar, your yard, your basement, even your living room. You'll find bugs in your bathroom, your kitchen - everywhere in the house. Most homes in New England are older and not as "bug proofed" as AZ homes. I lived many years in New England and saw a LOT more bugs and snakes there then I have here. As well, I know more people in New England who got Lime Disease from ticks then I know people in AZ who've been stung by scorpions.

Finally, I think you're the LAST person who should be chastising someone for making an area out to be "scary."

If you chose to "discuss" this further - maybe ridicule my spelling like you did the last time you PM'd me about one of my comments - please PM me so we don't highjack this thread arguing back and forth like we have in the past.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:33 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,669,280 times
Though they are around, I've never seen a rattler in New England, and I've done a fair amount of hiking up there.

The most serious venomous animal I've encountered were hornets. Though, I imagine a few dozen hornet stings could be life threatening.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I know more people in New England who got Lime Disease
Cant resist, sorry.... you mean "Lyme Disease"?

As for my response, I apologize, it does indeed look like I read it wrong. However, I dont think you need to tell someone that they wont escape bugs, theres no place on earth that is compeletely bug free (except the poles and maybe Greenland). I was just stating that in NE, you dont need to worry about any of the bugs like you do in AZ.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:13 PM

647 posts, read 3,341,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Cant resist, sorry.... you mean "Lyme Disease"?

As for my response, I apologize, it does indeed look like I read it wrong. However, I dont think you need to tell someone that they wont escape bugs, theres no place on earth that is compeletely bug free (except the poles and maybe Greenland). I was just stating that in NE, you dont need to worry about any of the bugs like you do in AZ.
I stand corrected....you're "compeletely" correct and you "wont" get an argument from me - I misspelled Lyme Disease.

Nothing like someone who mispells so often pointing out spelling errors....

Can't resist - sorry

Old 11-25-2007, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 5,151 times
Default I'm proactive with those pests!

We lived in Mesa for 7 years and never saw one. We built a new home in Gilbert and were fine for 2 years, then it started. I wanted to move. They were coming in from more than one place. My husband was stung twice in our bedroom during the summer. (Don't think they are seasonal, they're not.) On December 23rd, my daughter was stung. That was the last straw. We had our house sealed last year. An extensive labor (3 days) and about $1,000 but so worth it! I can live again without worry.

We also check our backyard with a black light and torch the little buggers. We spray to kill their food and use DE at the doorways. We stucco'd the wall around our property so they can't live in the brick anymore. River rock is a popular place for them, and they like water sources. (check the sprinkler box.)

If you live around undeveloped property, you may get them. If you've recently built a new home, as the home settles and shifts, be prepared. The neighbors just put a pool in and guess what? They disturbed them and here they come......

So if you plan on living in Arizona, be proactive. Don't wait for them to show up in your kitchen during your party....

(BTW, if you are buying a resale home, the sellers are required to put that information in the SPDS - Seller's Property Disclosure Statement.)

Old 11-26-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
I stand corrected....you're "compeletely" correct and you "wont" get an argument from me - I misspelled Lyme Disease.

Nothing like someone who mispells so often pointing out spelling errors....

Can't resist - sorry
No doubt. I do type too fast, perhaps I need to slow down a bit or proof read before I send.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:23 AM

461 posts, read 1,810,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzKelleyHome View Post
We lived in Mesa for 7 years and never saw one. We built a new home in Gilbert and were fine for 2 years, then it started. I wanted to move. They were coming in from more than one place. My husband was stung twice in our bedroom during the summer. (Don't think they are seasonal, they're not.) On December 23rd, my daughter was stung. That was the last straw. We had our house sealed last year. An extensive labor (3 days) and about $1,000 but so worth it! I can live again without worry.

We also check our backyard with a black light and torch the little buggers. We spray to kill their food and use DE at the doorways. We stucco'd the wall around our property so they can't live in the brick anymore. River rock is a popular place for them, and they like water sources. (check the sprinkler box.)

If you live around undeveloped property, you may get them. If you've recently built a new home, as the home settles and shifts, be prepared. The neighbors just put a pool in and guess what? They disturbed them and here they come......

So if you plan on living in Arizona, be proactive. Don't wait for them to show up in your kitchen during your party....

(BTW, if you are buying a resale home, the sellers are required to put that information in the SPDS - Seller's Property Disclosure Statement.)
Don't mean to sound stupid or anything, but what is DE?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area