Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 05:48 PM

8 posts, read 34,289 times

Advertisements

After living in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area for nine years, my husband and I moved to OC about 3 years ago (we are both from the Midwest originally). I teach part-time and take care of our two-year-old and my husband is in marketing.
My husband has grown increasingly frustrated with his job here and has applied for several similar paying jobs in Phoenix. I've also noticed more teaching jobs in the Phoenix area, and as a fine arts teacher I am very lucky to have the part-time job I do here. Though I will say teachers get paid quite a bit less in Arizona.

We have quite a bit of equity in our house in OC, so we could sell and buy a similar home in Phoenix with a 15 year note for less than our current 30 year mortgage... So lots more disposable income every month. And while we are not living paycheck to paycheck here in Orange county, we don't have a ton of extra money every month.
We also have a big social network in Phoenix, and my sister lives there.

But I'm very torn about moving back. I love Southern California, and I'm afraid we would miss so many things about it here.

Has anyone moved from Orange County to Phoenix and had regrets? Or been very happy about it for that matter?

Thanks so much in advance.

-and I tried to post this once before, but I think I posted in the wrong section… so my apologies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 09:50 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
You've lived in both places, which a lot of people who moved here from OC had not. You know both places well, which should help you a lot in deciding about moving back. Everyone's response to a move is different, so what did or didn't work for someone else is not going to be predictive of how it would go for you.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:48 PM

Fair enough. And you are right...

I loved AZ when I lived there and I love OC. Between the two places I do like OC better overall, but from a financial standpoint AZ just makes more sense. I just don't want to be looking back at my experience in AZ with rose colored glasses... only to move back and find it wasn't as great as I had remembered (especially after living in SoCal).

So that's why I'm curious if anyone else has lived in both or had regrets moving back.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:09 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
I moved from South OC for college and my wife is from the area too. I wouldn't say we regret it however we do plan to move back there. We kinda got stuck as I started a business that took off and she became very successful in her field and moved up to IT managerial level and beyond in a short time. Now it would be difficult to even earn 70% of what we're earning here even in higher wage so cal. I moved to Chandler because it reminds me more of OC - more water and grass and shade trees. Scottsdale's emphasis on desert doesn't do it for me aesthetically.

I will say in the middle of summer I do spend a lot of time looking at OC and North SD county real estate as the heat begins to wear on me, but we do head out there at least a half dozen times/yr so that helps. one thing about living here is you can save barrels of cash for an early retirement back there that's our plan. it's hard to save a bunch in OC if you have 2 kids, even on a $300k household income.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:44 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
You have to ask yourself whether you want to move for financial reasons, i.e. lower cost of living in AZ or better job options.

If you are looking for better job option, then moving to PHX won't necessarily be any better. Your husband has just of a good chance of finding a job he's happy with in SC as in AZ.

Remember, it's the job and not necessarily the state that he is unhappy with. No need to move when you can just change jobs.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:14 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,643,993 times
I grew up in Orange County. Specifically, Garden Grove, Tustin and Huntington beach. Moved to Oregon when I was 28 and then to wonderful area in East Mesa and I don't regret it a bit. The only thing Cali has over this area is the beach and I didn't care for the beaches in Cali because of the crowds. It's the crowds in Cali that got to me.
Personally, after living here for a few years now, I'd never move back to Cali. I visit often as I have relatives and friends there but after a couple of days, I'm ready to leave.
I don't miss Cali whatsoever and I'm very happy with my move to East Mesa.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:19 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
Half the people here are from SoCal and they keep coming, buying houses, and telling their friends back home about how cheap it is here.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
I grew up in Orange County. Specifically, Garden Grove, Tustin and Huntington beach. Moved to Oregon when I was 28 and then to wonderful area in East Mesa and I don't regret it a bit. The only thing Cali has over this area is the beach and I didn't care for the beaches in Cali because of the crowds. It's the crowds in Cali that got to me.
Personally, after living here for a few years now, I'd never move back to Cali. I visit often as I have relatives and friends there but after a couple of days, I'm ready to leave.
I don't miss Cali whatsoever and I'm very happy with my move to East Mesa.
Very good to hear! We border Tustin. While my husband likes living here, he is definitely less of a fan of Southern California than I am (for all the reasons you mentioned).

As I said before, cashing out on our equity here would allow us to buy a similar house/neighborhood with lower payments AND own it free and clear in 15 years... Meaning we can retire much sooner. Plus, I own a rental home in Phoenix, so it would be easy to move back into it for awhile and take our time looking for the perfect long term home. And we do have a bigger support system in AZ. Even if we had to take a 15% income cut, we would still be ahead financially.

BUT... I feel like once we move it would be really really hard to come back to CA. I want to be really sure we won't have regrets about it. I'm split right down the middle and he is 80% for AZ. Decisions!

Old 03-08-2014, 08:20 PM

872 posts, read 998,915 times
My co-worker is from Long Beach and her and her husband go back and visit but a lot of her family has moved over here for financial reasons. She has told me about CA and how it is beautiful but not a place to just pack up and move to if you don't have a good plan or $$$

Good to here someone tell me how it really is over there compared to everyone here thinking how wonderful it is

The things to do and the beach may be alluring but the change in lifestyle, the expense of daily living and the crowds can get to you eventually

Old 03-08-2014, 10:14 PM

3,266 posts, read 3,927,062 times
I've lived in both places. I was born/lived in Chicago (21 years), then I lived in Tempe/Scottsdale from 1980-1990 (10 years), and in Orange County from 1990-current (24 years).

I travel back to AZ on business and to see friends, and may be forced to move back for a few years until I retire. While I like going back for a few days, I dread the thought of living there again.

If I do end up going back, it's for as short a time as possible. My home, family, friends and life are here in So Cal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area