Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 03:49 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times

Advertisements

Who still does it?. Winter only or year-round?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 09:57 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,601,599 times
I've been following this gal's blog - she does it year round. I'm living vicariously through her travels and hope to do the same someday!

rvsue and her canine crew | Living on less and enjoying life more

Old 04-22-2014, 10:11 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
I think the biggest contingent of full-timers is in Yuma. There's still plenty of them out there..

Old 04-22-2014, 10:29 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,716,074 times
Yuma is far better than Quartzsite for amenities. There are RV Parks in Yuma and Wellton that for $2000 a year will give you full hook up . I believe that covers city water but you have to pay for 30 or 50 amp electric monthly. Really dirt cheap when you think about it given mobile home park lot rents run $350 to as high as $700/mth in Arizona.

I love to travel but unfortunately haven't utilized my RV as much as I have hoped. When you work 40 hours a week and have other obligations outside of work, can't travel the SW all the time. It basically has sat around the past few months since I bought it collecting dust.Made a few regional trips and that is it. Unless you are retired, I don't believe it's a great investment as I am finding out. You got to prime the generator every 7-10 days so the generator doesn't go dead on you when it is sitting idle too. I have a class A RV and there are a lot of other expenses involved. One should always take out a warranty so that replacement costs run a $100-$200 deductible on things like the generator, refrigerator, engine, black water tanks,etc. Otherwise, these parts are very expensive to replace out of pocket. Generators run $5000 out of pocket. Best advice is to pay for 4 year warranty. Yes, it's more expensive up front (paid $7000 warranty through Cornerstone for 4 yr warranty) than paying a warranty yearly but you hopefully can make that up if something craps out in the next 4 years.

Not going to lie to you. I have buyers remorse as a working age adult. Unless you have a ton of time to travel or are retired, I feels there are far better ways to throw your money around on toys.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:43 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Interesting take on pre retirement Fulltime. I guess I should have asked that question too.

My wife and I went fulltime while she was still working. More on that later. So the question is ...........

1. Do you Fulltime in an RV?
2. Do you Snowbird only?
3. Are you retired?
4. Is Arizona your only Fulltime destination?

Old 04-23-2014, 10:38 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Yuma is far better than Quartzsite for amenities. There are RV Parks in Yuma and Wellton that for $2000 a year will give you full hook up . I believe that covers city water but you have to pay for 30 or 50 amp electric monthly. Really dirt cheap when you think about it given mobile home park lot rents run $350 to as high as $700/mth in Arizona.

I love to travel but unfortunately haven't utilized my RV as much as I have hoped. When you work 40 hours a week and have other obligations outside of work, can't travel the SW all the time. It basically has sat around the past few months since I bought it collecting dust.Made a few regional trips and that is it. Unless you are retired, I don't believe it's a great investment as I am finding out. You got to prime the generator every 7-10 days so the generator doesn't go dead on you when it is sitting idle too. I have a class A RV and there are a lot of other expenses involved. One should always take out a warranty so that replacement costs run a $100-$200 deductible on things like the generator, refrigerator, engine, black water tanks,etc. Otherwise, these parts are very expensive to replace out of pocket. Generators run $5000 out of pocket. Best advice is to pay for 4 year warranty. Yes, it's more expensive up front (paid $7000 warranty through Cornerstone for 4 yr warranty) than paying a warranty yearly but you hopefully can make that up if something craps out in the next 4 years.

Not going to lie to you. I have buyers remorse as a working age adult. Unless you have a ton of time to travel or are retired, I feels there are far better ways to throw your money around on toys.
I'm copying your post for my wife's eyes.

We have some years to go before we're in the market for an RV.

Oh......but she wants one NOW.....

Old 04-23-2014, 11:53 AM

604 posts, read 934,263 times
Default Best resource for full time RVing

Back in 2000 I sold everything I had in CA and bought a big diesel pusher motorhome. For the next three years I lived all over the continent (from Nova Scotia/Prince Edward Island to Florida, Texas, the Pacific northwest and California. Circumstances lead me back to a stick built house and work. There are numerous resources to learn more about this lifestyle but none better than the Escapees RV club. Founded decades ago by a man and woman who decided to live full time and discovered there was little information or support for such a life. Thus was born the club. You don't have to join to take advantage of this organizations support and services. They've bought and opened their own RV parks for affordable living. They've set up coop parks which allow members to buy-in to ownership. I strongly suggest you check out the club at their web site Escapees RV Club.

You may find your new home is no home at all; at least not the kind of home you've ever known before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area