|Median resident age:||67.1 years|
|Arizona median age:||33.8 years|
Zip codes: 85346.
Quartzsite town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $35,399 (it was $38,400 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $361.
- White alone - 3,294 (89.6%)
- Hispanic - 246 (6.7%)
- American Indian alone - 65 (1.8%)
- Two or more races - 51 (1.4%)
- Black alone - 11 (0.3%)
- Asian alone - 9 (0.2%)
- Other race alone - 1 (0.03%)
|Slow drivers get out of the HOV Lane!!!!!!! (186 replies)|
|Downtown Phoenix developments, and Roosevelt Row controversy (54 replies)|
|Prescott has bubbled to the top of the list... (86 replies)|
|scary stuff in Quartzsite - what do Quartzsite residents think of this? (12 replies)|
|You realize Phoenix is somewhat boring when guests come to town... (131 replies)|
|Quartzsite questions (1 reply)|
Latest news from Quartzsite, AZ collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (26.9%), English (14.5%), Irish (10.6%), Swedish (6.2%), Norwegian (4.5%), French (2.4%).
Current Local Time: MST (no DST) time zone
Incorporated in 1989
Elevation: 878 feet
Land area: 36.3 square miles.
Population density: 100 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Quartzsite:
- High school or higher: 81.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.3%
- Unemployed: 6.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 17.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Quartzsite town:
- Never married: 6.8%
- Now married: 65.8%
- Separated: 2.4%
- Widowed: 16.3%
- Divorced: 8.7%
239 residents are foreign born (3.5% North America).
According to our research of Arizona and other state lists there were 5 registered sex offenders living in Quartzsite, Arizona as of May 22, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Quartzsite to the number of sex offenders is 731 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $1,060 (0.7%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $440 (1.4%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Yuma, AZ (71.1 miles , pop. 77,515).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Glendale, AZ (116.6 miles , pop. 218,812).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Phoenix, AZ (123.9 miles , pop. 1,321,045).
Nearest cities: La Paz Valley, AZ (2.8 miles ), Brenda, AZ (4.0 miles ), Ehrenberg, AZ (4.2 miles ), East Blythe, CA (4.6 miles) , Blythe, CA (4.6 miles ), Bouse, AZ (4.7 miles ), Utting, AZ (4.8 miles) , Poston, AZ (5.0 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1998: 4 buildings, average cost: $94,800
- 1999: 3 buildings, average cost: $67,500
- 2000: 2 buildings, average cost: $72,100
- 2002: 4 buildings, average cost: $119,900
- 2003: 3 buildings, average cost: $177,900
- 2004: 2 buildings, average cost: $97,800
- 2005: 79 buildings, average cost: $25,400
- 2006: 77 buildings, average cost: $25,400
- 2007: 17 buildings, average cost: $218,800
- 2008: 9 buildings, average cost: $279,600
- 2009: 9 buildings, average cost: $181,900
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 33.67 N, Longitude: 114.22 W
Area code: 928
|Crime rates in Quartzsite by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 307.0)||281.4||393.4||233.2||335.1||272.7||297.8||116.0||170.9||95.0||182.5|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Quartzsite detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.70|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Public administration (31%)
- Construction (18%)
- Wholesale trade (17%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (16%)
- Health care and social assistance (13%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (0%)
- Retail trade (41%)
- Health care and social assistance (30%)
- Educational services (15%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (14%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (0%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (0%)
- Construction (0%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (11%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (5%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (5%)
- Carpenters (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (16%)
- Cashiers (8%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (7%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (7%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (7%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (6%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (4%)
Average climate in Quartzsite, Arizona
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Quartzsite-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Arizona state average. It is 570% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/28/1992 at 11:57:34, a magnitude 7.6 (6.2 MB, 7.6 MS, 7.3 MW, Depth: 0.7 mi, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 137.4 miles away from the city center, causing 3 deaths (1 shaking deaths, 2 other deaths) and 400 injuries, causing $100,000,000 total damage and $40,000,000 insured losses
On 10/16/1999 at 09:46:44, a magnitude 7.4 (6.3 MB, 7.4 MS, 7.2 MW, 7.3 ML) earthquake occurred 139.8 miles away from Quartzsite center
On 5/19/1940 at 04:36:40, a magnitude 7.2 (7.2 UK) earthquake occurred 90.5 miles away from the city center, causing $33,000,000 total damage
On 12/31/1934 at 18:45:56, a magnitude 7.1 (7.1 UK) earthquake occurred 112.0 miles away from the city center
On 10/15/1979 at 23:16:54, a magnitude 7.0 (5.7 MB, 6.9 MS, 7.0 ML, 6.4 MW) earthquake occurred 100.9 miles away from Quartzsite center
On 7/21/1952 at 11:52:14, a magnitude 7.7 (7.7 UK) earthquake occurred 288.1 miles away from the city center, causing $50,000,000 total damage
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in La Paz County (4) is a lot smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 3
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 3, Hurricane: 1, Storm: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Airports located in Quartzsite:
- Quail Mesa Ranch Airport (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Quartzsite:
- Arizona Western College (about 70 miles; Yuma, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 5,454)
- Imperial Valley College (about 95 miles; Imperial, CA; FT enrollment: 5,313)
- Estrella Mountain Community College (about 109 miles; Avondale, AZ; FT enrollment: 4,932)
- Mohave Community College (about 112 miles; Kingman, AZ; FT enrollment: 3,309)
- Universal Technical Institute of Arizona Inc (about 113 miles; Avondale, AZ; FT enrollment: 3,860)
- Glendale Community College (about 118 miles; Glendale, AZ; FT enrollment: 12,533)
- Yavapai College (about 119 miles; Prescott, AZ; FT enrollment: 4,258)
Public elementary/middle school in Quartzsite:
- Scholars Academy, The (Students: 111; Location: P.O. BOX 3475; Grades: 7-10)
Notable locations in Quartzsite: Hi Jolly Monument (A), Arizona Highway Maintenance Yard - Quartzsite (B), Town of Quartzsite Wastewater Reclamation Facility (C), Old Fort Tyson (D), Quartzite Town Hall (E), Quartzsite Public Library (F), Quartzsite Fire and Rescue Department (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Quartzsite include: First Baptist Church of Quartzite (A), Covenant Lutheran Church (B), Queen of Peace Catholic Church (C), Quartzsite Southern Baptist Church (D), Quartzsite Community Bible Church (E), Quartzsite Alliance Church (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: La Cholla Wash (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Park in Quartzsite: La Posa Long-Term Visitor Area (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 63.9. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 28.6. This is about average. Closest monitor was 22.2 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Quartzsite and their reported violations in the past:DESERT GARDENS RV PARK (Population served: 402, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:TYSON WELLS RV PARK (Population served: 400, Groundwater):
- Initial Tap Sampling for Pb and Cu - In JUL-01-2009, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (MAR-13-2012)
- Initial Tap Sampling for Pb and Cu - In JUL-01-2008, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (2 times from OCT-06-2008 to FEB-11-2009), St Formal NOV issued (JUN-17-2010), St Compliance achieved (AUG-25-2010)
- Monitoring, Repeat Major (TCR) - In JUL-2007, Contaminant: Coliform (TCR). Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (AUG-15-2008)
- 11 routine major monitoring violations
- One minor monitoring violation
- 6 regular monitoring violations
Past monitoring violations:SUPER 8 QUARTZSITE (Population served: 60, Groundwater):
- Monitoring, Source Water (GWR) - In FEB-23-2010, Contaminant: E. COLI. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (MAR-11-2010)
- Monitoring, Repeat Major (TCR) - In FEB-2010, Contaminant: Coliform (TCR). Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (MAR-30-2010), St Compliance achieved (APR-02-2010)
- 10 routine major monitoring violations
- 6 regular monitoring violations
Past monitoring violations:
- Monitoring, Repeat Major (TCR) - In JAN-2006, Contaminant: Coliform (TCR). Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (MAY-24-2007)
- 12 routine major monitoring violations
- One minor monitoring violation
- 4 regular monitoring violations
Drinking water stations with addresses in Quartzsite that have no violations reported:
- QUARTZSITE YACHT CLUB (Population served: 200, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
(9.3% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 48.9% for Black residents, 8.9% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 100.0% for American Indian residents, 100.0% for other race residents, 0.0% for two or more races residents)
|This town:||1.8 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.8% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
People in group quarters in Quartzsite in 2010:
- 72 people in other noninstitutional facilities
- 6 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 3 people in emergency and transitional shelters (with sleeping facilities) for people experiencing homelessness
Quartzsite compared to Arizona state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Banks with branches in Quartzsite (2011 data):
- Horizon Community Bank: Quartzsite Branch at 225 N. Central Boulevard, branch established on 2005/09/06. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $156.3 mil, Deposits: $141.5 mil, headquarters in Lake Havasu City, AZ, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 4 total offices, Holding Company: Horizon Bancorp, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (49%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (44%)
- No fuel used (4%)
- Wood (3%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Quartzsite town (based on La Paz County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 24.49%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||LDS (Mormon) Church||Southern Baptist Convention||Assemblies of God||Christian and Missionary Alliance|
|Name||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||Jewish||Conservative Baptist Association of America||United Methodist Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|La Paz County:||3.98 / 10,000 pop.|
|Arizona:||1.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|La Paz County:||0.50 / 10,000 pop.|
|Arizona:||0.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|La Paz County:||8.96 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||11.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.21 / 10,000 pop.|
|La Paz County:||28.0%|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||3||$16,151||$64,604||6||$2,159|
|Judicial and Legal||3||$11,139||$44,556||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||10||$49,033||$58,840||0||$0|
|Police - Other||2||$3,695||$22,170||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||5||$18,646||$44,750||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||5||$10,656||$25,574||2||$1,882|
|Housing and Community Development(Local)||2||$5,451||$32,706||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||0||$0||1||$897|
|Totals for Government||46||$155,919||$40,675||13||$9,515|
Quartzsite government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - Water Utilities: $385,000 ($105.68)
- Current Operations - Regular Highways: $532,000 ($146.03)
Police Protection: $505,000 ($138.62)
Central Staff Services: $452,000 ($124.07)
Sewerage: $357,000 ($98.00)
Health Services - Other: $212,000 ($58.19)
Water Utilities: $162,000 ($44.47)
Judicial and Legal Services: $131,000 ($35.96)
Libraries: $111,000 ($30.47)
Financial Administration: $99,000 ($27.18)
Parks & Recreation: $31,000 ($8.51)
Transit Utilities: $26,000 ($7.14)
- General - Interest on Debt: $121,000 ($33.21)
- Other Capital Outlay - Financial Administration: $44,000 ($12.08)
Police Protection: $14,000 ($3.84)
Sewerage: $11,000 ($3.02)
Libraries: $5,000 ($1.37)
Parks & Recreation: $4,000 ($1.10)
Water Utilities: $2,000 ($0.55)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $1,495,000 ($410.38)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $166,000 ($45.57)
Quartzsite government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $258,000 ($70.82)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $67,000 ($18.39)
Interest Earnings: $24,000 ($6.59)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $207,000 ($56.82)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $1,028,000 ($282.19)
General Support: $259,000 ($71.10)
All Other: $131,000 ($35.96)
Housing & Community Development: $2,000 ($0.55)
- Tax - Total General Sales: $688,000 ($188.86)
NEC: $118,000 ($32.39)
Quartzsite government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Water Utilities: $2,759,000 ($757.34)
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $2,607,000 ($715.62)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Water Utilities: $2,759,000 ($757.34)
Full Faith & Credit - Other, NEC: $2,607,000 ($715.62)
Quartzsite government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $283,000 ($77.68)
- Sinking Fund - Cash & Deposits: $172,000 ($47.21)
8.51% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($30,185 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Maricopa County, AZ||1.34% ($27,986 average AGI)|
|from Riverside County, CA||0.95% ($39,082)|
|from Mohave County, AZ||0.52% ($35,222)|
8.44% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($27,598 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Quartzsite:
- KMIA (710 AM; 50 kW; BLACK CANYON CITY, AZ; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KPXQ (1360 AM; 50 kW; GLENDALE, AZ; Owner: COMMON GROUND BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KFNX (1100 AM; 50 kW; CAVE CREEK, AZ; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KDWN (720 AM; 50 kW; LAS VEGAS, NV; Owner: RADIO NEVADA CORP.)
- KFMB (760 AM; 50 kW; SAN DIEGO, CA; Owner: MIDWEST TELEVISION, INC.)
- KLAC (570 AM; 50 kW; LOS ANGELES, CA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- KMIK (1580 AM; 50 kW; TEMPE, AZ; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- KLPZ (1380 AM; 3 kW; PARKER, AZ; Owner: KEITH DOUGLAS LEARN)
- KXNT (840 AM; 50 kW; NORTH LAS VEGAS, NV; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- KFI (640 AM; 50 kW; LOS ANGELES, CA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KPLS (830 AM; 50 kW; ORANGE, CA; Owner: CRN LICENSES, LLC)
- KCBQ (1170 AM; 50 kW; SAN DIEGO, CA; Owner: RADIO 1210, INC.)
- KFLT (830 AM; 50 kW; TUCSON, AZ; Owner: FAMILY LIFE B/CING SYSTEM, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Quartzsite:
- KBUX (94.3 FM; QUARTZSITE, AZ; Owner: MAUDE J. BURDETTE)
- K263AI (100.5 FM; LAKE HAVASU CITY, AZ; Owner: DONALD F. HENDREN)
- KRRK (101.1 FM; LAKE HAVASU CITY, AZ; Owner: SMOKE AND MIRRORS, LLC)
- KZUL-FM (104.5 FM; LAKE HAVASU CITY, AZ; Owner: MAD DOG WIRELESS, INC.)
- KRCY-FM (96.7 FM; LAKE HAVASU CITY, AZ; Owner: RICK L. MURPHY)
- KJJJ (102.3 FM; LAKE HAVASU CITY, AZ; Owner: STEVEN M. GREELEY)
- KWFH (90.1 FM; PARKER, AZ; Owner: DESERT VIEW BAPTIST CHURCH)
TV broadcast stations around Quartzsite:
- W64AN (Channel 64; ROCK HARBOR, FL; Owner: WDLP BROADCASTING COMPANY, LLC)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2011 (per 100,000 population)
- Fatal accident count: 40
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 51
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 9
- Fatalities: 46
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 132
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 7
- Fatal accident count: 276
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 440
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 101
- Fatalities: 298
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 783
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 50
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 13 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Quartzsite, AZ)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 13 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 16 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 91 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Quartzsite)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 11 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Quartzsite)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 15
- Hazardous Condition: 4
Incident types - Quartzsite
|Most common first names in Quartzsite, AZ among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Quartzsite, AZ among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Quartzsite, AZ|
|Burger King||1||Super 8||1|
|Carl\s Jr.||1||True Value||1|
Quartzsite on our top lists:
- #3 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Gasoline stations"
- #6 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Jewelry, luggage, and leather goods stores"
- #10 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the hottest summers"
- #26 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Community and social services occupations:"
- #26 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Engineers"
- #26 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest daily high temperatures"
- #35 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Service occupations:"
- #39 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides"
- #72 on the list of "Top 100 cities with oldest residents"
- #84 on the list of "Top 100 cities with smallest houses"
- #86 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest number of days clear of clouds"
- #98 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Gasoline stations"
- #97 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of people without health insurance coverage in 2000"