Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 07:46 AM

755 posts, read 1,119,518 times

Advertisements

Thank you, Zippyman and Jimj. That's what I'm asking. If it's normal, I can live with it. Ick.

Zippyman, do you think I should get the inside sprayed as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 08:05 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,652,870 times
I've never seen a cockroach. I spray every other month with Cy Kick CS primarily for scorpions and their food.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:34 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,482,791 times
My friend's mom is a very neat & tidy lady whose house could be in Better Homes & Gardens, hard to even find a spec of dust in her house. Was over there once and thought she hurt herself by all the screaming she did. Just opened up the dishwasher (which she always did in the high temp sanitize mode) and out crawled a big sewer roach that was surfing on top of a coffee cup.

I spray for roaches, so I always see dead ones around my house. They come up under the floorboards, get hit with the bug killer then crawl about a foot away from my baseboards and die. At least I don't have scorpions to deal with.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:50 AM

Oh. God. I left the drains unplugged. I have this image in my mind of giant cockroaches partying all over my house right now. Super!! lol

So, what then? Does everyone plug their drains all the time when not using them?

How do I get to the place DetroitN8V enjoys?

Quote:
I've never seen a cockroach. I spray every other month with Cy Kick CS primarily for scorpions and their food.
I'm not there to spray every month. Inside and out? Why don't sewer roaches ever come up your drains, and what can I do to make sure that's the case for me?

When people say they "never see them," I'm no longer sure what they mean. Never see them inside? Outside? Never see them in Phoenix? I mean, I see them everywhere when I'm out shopping. And again, the landscaper? Wouldn't he bump into them, dead at least, fairly regularly?

This is what's bothering me about it. Not that we asked dozens of people, but literally everyone we've spoken to about it has said "never." (Except home watch guy who said "almost never".) I would like to get to "almost never" or "never" but can live with seeing them (dying) in the yard IF it's normal.

Having one crawl out of the dishwasher might put me over the edge though.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:57 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,652,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post
Oh. God. I left the drains unplugged. I have this image in my mind of giant cockroaches partying all over my house right now. Super!! lol

So, what then? Does everyone plug their drains all the time when not using them?

I'm not there to spray every month. Inside and out? Why don't sewer roaches ever come up your drains, and what can I do to make sure that's the case for me?

When people say they "never see them," I'm no longer sure what they mean. Never see them inside? Outside? Never see them in Phoenix? I mean, I see them everywhere when I'm out shopping. And again, the landscaper? Wouldn't he bump into them, dead at least, fairly regularly?

This is what's bothering me about it. Not that we asked dozens of people, but literally everyone we've spoken to about it has said "never." (Except home watch guy who said "almost never".) I would like to get to "almost never" or "never" but can live with seeing them (dying) in the yard IF it's normal.

I live here full-time so I'm sure that's a lot of it. I also live against a mountain and desert preserve so while we get our fair share of snakes, scorpions, tarantula hawks, etc., we're spared the bugs that really like moisture.

When I say I never see cockroaches, I mean never anywhere. I only spray outside.

Like scorpions, it seems to be luck of the draw. Having the house sprayed on a regular schedule should take care of the issue.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:58 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,748,572 times
I live in Miami and palmetto bugs are a fact of life here but what has really done a fantastic job for us has been the Harris roach tablets. Better then spraying because if they are in your house they nibble on the tablets and bring the food (poison) back to the nests which wipe out all of them.

Takes about a month to work, but then what we would see as at least two to three a week to maybe one in about three months and these things every where here.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:06 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post

Stop worrying about the drains. Everything will probably be fine. No, not everyone plugs their drains when they are not using them.

DetroitN8V is in Scottsdale. He's been lucky, I'm sure there are sewer roaches there, too.

Threads like this make me grateful not to have such an extreme reaction to a bug.

Find other things to think about.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:28 AM

Can't do roaches. Honestly, I don't think it's "such an extreme reaction" to want to know what's normal, and what to do to minimize if not eliminate them in my house. The only reason I was even concerned to see them outside (where I'd expect them to be if I hadn't been told otherwise) was the "never" I had kept hearing, which made me think it was very abnormal to see three in a couple of days.

If it makes you think I'm slightly less crazy, spiders and scorpions don't particularly freak me out, though I'd like to keep them out of my house too. The lizards are adorable, though I understand them to be signals that there are lots of bugs in the yard. Snakes don't bother me at all. Everyone is different, but I don't think wanting to keep 2-3" insects out of my home is "extreme."

Old 05-13-2014, 10:15 AM

6,762 posts, read 5,066,113 times
Different folks will have different experiences with respect to roaches, scorpions, etc. You're not going to get the same "answer" from everyone. It depends on how clean the area is, how much water is around (natural or from sprinklers/drip), etc.

If your problem is bad enough, you probably do need to spray monthly. Sure, not everyone will need to do this, but spray that's applied outdoors loses it's potency over a few weeks. Any application that was done 90 days prior has long ago lost it's potency. We don't spray inside, for what it's worth.

When we first moved into our house, we had scorpions, roaches, spiders. Tons of them. The previous owner claimed he applied spray himself, but I'm pretty sure it had been a looooong time since he did anything. I remember lifting a pail that was sitting in the side yard, and probably 50-100 roaches were partying under there!

hikernut

Old 05-13-2014, 10:22 AM

44,635 posts, read 61,653,458 times
OP are you sure they're roaches and not crickets. Roaches are generally nocturnal. Crickets can be found most everywhere day and night. They can be controlled or rid of easily by a pest control service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area