Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 12:32 PM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
yes, and let's put up signs in French, Italian, Japanese, Polish, etc. while we are at it....we must be all inclusive don't you know.
You are letting your political leanings interfere with common sense. If we can prevent deaths by having warning signs in Spanish we ought to be doing it - yesterday! As for the other nationalities, of course your idea is absurd given their relative numbers. On the other hand, we could quit trying to be "exceptional" and adopt the international signage standards for our highways and roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
DPS: 3 dead after wrong-way crash on Interstate 17 near Black Canyon City - ABC15 Arizona

"In Friday's crash, officials say the wrong-way vehicle drove at least 20 miles northbound on southbound lanes before it collided with the rented minivan about 30 miles north of Phoenix."

Driving at least 20 miles without realizing they were driving the wrong way?!? That's not "easy" to do in my book and in my view shows someone with complete disregard for their surrounds no matter the reason. As a result, several innocent people died.

In my book, that's someone who shouldn't be driving if they can't figure out something so obvious and I think their license should be pulled immediately as they are obviously not fit to operate a motor vehicle. And I have a feeling the people who lost family in that accident would feel the same.
I seriously doubt he had a license. He was certainly drunk and either never had one because he was not allowed to in AZ (illegal) or he had it revoked for previous DUIs or no insurance or both.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:44 PM

397 posts, read 660,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
maybe we should put up street signs in spanish,
Since most of the drivers were drunk a sign that said "Free booze next exit" might be more effective ;-)

Old 05-18-2014, 01:21 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,455,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Too easy to enter the wrong way. I can easily see how a drunk/high/old/tired driver can enter the wrong direction at Gilbert and the 202. Who puts an exit and on ramp next to each other? Tire Spikes are needed
The interchange of the Red Mountain segment of the 202 and Gilbert Road is designed that way, but that's not where the latest collision occurred. According to AZ Central, the wrong-way driver entered the freeway at University Drive in east Mesa. That interchange is a standard diamond. The resulting collision then occurred on the Santan segment of 202 near Higley Road in Gilbert.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:23 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,689,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You are letting your political leanings interfere with common sense. If we can prevent deaths by having warning signs in Spanish we ought to be doing it - yesterday! As for the other nationalities, of course your idea is absurd given their relative numbers. On the other hand, we could quit trying to be "exceptional" and adopt the international signage standards for our highways and roads.

Having traveled quite extensively, red colored signs and red flashing lights in any country I've been to are usually a sign that something is prohibited or that you're doing it wrong.

The problem is selfish, stupid people who get hammered beyond belief, the guy who killed the cop while he was driving the wrong way on the freeway had 3x the legal limit of alcohol in his system. If there's a cultural reason for why some feel that its okay to be obscenely drunk and still get behind the wheel of a vehicle, then they need to face the full and maximum consequences of their actions.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:56 PM
YAZ YAZ started this thread

7,708 posts, read 14,092,300 times
It's incredibly sad when folks get killed by a very preventable situation. In all cases, drivers were drunk.

I've had two drunks total as many of my vehicles in the ten years that I've lived here; both of the inebriated drivers were American.....OK....fine.....the young gal (19 years old) was of Latino heritage. Hardly think that it's a cultural thing anyway......

Wouldn't matter to me if she was Romanian, Polish, or French. She was just a typical dumb girl that made a VERY bad choice.....

In these two cases that I'm referring to....

No one was seriously injured, thank God.

Vehicles can be replaced even though it cost me dearly...(trying to get money out of poor folks is like trying to get blood from a rock.....not worth the effort, eh?)

What's next?

Ignition interlocks for everyone?

Oh.

And the other guy was a drunk sailor that slammed into me. He was on his way to get more beer.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:45 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,472,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You're going in another direction that my post was intended but I'll play......I am Libertarian, don't play "right/left team" and believe in the rule of law. End of story. If following the law is considered a "political leaning".....well......color me whatever shade you prefer. If laws are not followed, and we pick and choose what are "good" laws, "bad" laws, that's going down a very, very ugly slippery slope.

When I visit another country, I take a different view. For example, when I'm in driving around in Quebec let's say, I don't expect signs to spoon-feed me in my native tongue which is English. While I'm far from being fluent in French, I know and took the effort and time to learn how to read basic traffic signs, rules, and how to communicate in basic terms with the people. If I'm arrogant enough to expect Quebec to post everything/anything in English or any other language for that matter, I'm....well, arrogant. I'm on their turf, I play their game, know their laws, know their rules and don't expect to be coddled in English. If they want to speak to me in English, fine, but I don't expect it and I go out of my way to speak their language because it's just polite and I feel the right thing to do on their soil.

I call it playing by the rules of a host country. Makes for better relations too instead of coming across as a prima-donna from another country expecting to be coddled.

Back to the topic.....

My statement was obviously exaggeration of why I think signs in Spanish is a useless idea. In your other statement about the guy/gal more than likely being wasted, I agree with that. And signs in any language, even in a massive font with neon green letters would do nothing to stop such a tragedy for someone so wasted.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
You're going in another direction that my post was intended but I'll play......I am Libertarian, don't play "right/left team" and believe in the rule of law. End of story. If following the law is considered a "political leaning".....well......color me whatever shade you prefer. If laws are not followed, and we pick and choose what are "good" laws, "bad" laws, that's going down a very, very ugly slippery slope.

When I visit another country, I take a different view. For example, when I'm in driving around in Quebec let's say, I don't expect signs to spoon-feed me in my native tongue which is English. While I'm far from being fluent in French, I know and took the effort and time to learn how to read basic traffic signs, rules, and how to communicate in basic terms with the people. If I'm arrogant enough to expect Quebec to post everything/anything in English or any other language for that matter, I'm....well, arrogant. I'm on their turf, I play their game, know their laws, know their rules and don't expect to be coddled in English. If they want to speak to me in English, fine, but I don't expect it and I go out of my way to speak their language because it's just polite and I feel the right thing to do on their soil.

I call it playing by the rules of a host country. Makes for better relations too instead of coming across as a prima-donna from another country expecting to be coddled.

Back to the topic.....

My statement was obviously exaggeration of why I think signs in Spanish is a useless idea. In your other statement about the guy/gal more than likely being wasted, I agree with that. And signs in any language, even in a massive font with neon green letters would do nothing to stop such a tragedy for someone so wasted.
Someone up thread suggested that maybe the sign should be in Spanish and you came with the common response that they ought to learn our language and custom and be good citizens just like we are when we travel. Like I said, they are not. They drink and drive, can't speak or read English, and don't know how to operate a car in at all much less in a huge American city. Maybe licensing them and providing international standardized signage on our roads would save a few lives.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 05-18-2014 at 04:05 PM..

Old 05-18-2014, 04:04 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,710,724 times
Generally speaking, YAZ, it is usually one of three . . . Drugs, Booze of Cell Phone.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Generally speaking, YAZ, it is usually one of three . . . Drugs, Booze of Cell Phone.
I think booze mostly. There was a cop on TV being interviewed yesterday and he stated that the vast majority of wrong way calls end up being over by the time the cops get there. The person realizes their mistake and cuts across a median or in some way turns around. I have to admit having done this once myself on a freeway and several times on one way streets - always in other towns where I was not familiar with things and being impatient/feeling rushed. But in the cases this week, these guys drove for MILES the wrong way before hitting anyone. It is just amazing that they could not figure that out. That is booze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area