Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 04:11 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxMan500 View Post
Fun fact: You are significantly more likely to die being shot by someone in AZ mistaking you for a mountain lion than to be killed by a mountain lion itself.
Oh, for sure. But you also increase your odds by walking in the wilderness and/or walking through the ghetto. If you put yourself near the element, the risk goes up either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 04:28 PM

175 posts, read 372,270 times
In the last 100 years only 10 people have been killed by mountain lions in the US. About 50 or so have been attacked and survived. You are more likely to be attacked by a dog, another person, or struck by lightning. Enjoy the outdoors and don't worry about mountain lions.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:03 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,478,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgc323 View Post
In the last 100 years only 10 people have been killed by mountain lions in the US. About 50 or so have been attacked and survived. You are more likely to be attacked by a dog, another person, or struck by lightning. Enjoy the outdoors and don't worry about mountain lions.
I feel safer running in the Estrellas than I do running around some of the neighborhoods by my house in Avondale. Have already been chased by dogs and one (luckily very friendly) pit bull that people refuse to keep in their yard.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:13 PM

755 posts, read 1,118,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgc323 View Post
I think the consistent point made in the thread is that they are rarely seen, even though we know they are there, so I don't think anyone is too worried about getting attacked. Just that if you do see one, it's not a casual viewing opportunity!

I think I read somewhere that cows kill more people than wildlife, but I could be making that up!

For that matter, my fear of killer bees (you all can call them "Africanized" but I will use the un-PC, accurate term! lol) is certainly overblown, statistically speaking. At my age I am more likely to have a heart attack while posting to C-D than be harmed by another living thing of any sort.

SteveK64, I was only partially joking about being prepared for a Javelina coming at me; I've been told they can be aggressive! (Anymore I just don't know who is yanking my chain, though). But our urban deer are often aggressive too, so I don't make assumptions! I'm not one to cozy up to wildlife of any sort, more of a view from a distance kind of a gal, lol. Besides the bees, I worry more about snakes in Estrella than anything else, just because when I encounter them here I have boots on (they are in the pasture if anywhere) but it's flip-flops or barefoot for me in Phoenix. It's a rule I have . Probably not a lot of hiking to be done in flip-flops, but I was hoping to see a javelina on the street or in the wash right by our house, maybe on a short hike up one of the hills around here.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:17 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I feel safer running in the Estrellas than I do running around some of the neighborhoods by my house in Avondale. Have already been chased by dogs and one (luckily very friendly) pit bull that people refuse to keep in their yard.
Good point. That's unfortunate irresponsible people like that exist and that we need animal control to keep tabs on such people.

But yes, the reality is wild animals don't want to bother people just like most people don't want to bother them.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:24 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post
SteveK64, I was only partially joking about being prepared for a Javelina coming at me; I've been told they can be aggressive! (Anymore I just don't know who is yanking my chain, though). But our urban deer are often aggressive too, so I don't make assumptions! I'm not one to cozy up to wildlife of any sort, more of a view from a distance kind of a gal, lol. Besides the bees, I worry more about snakes in Estrella than anything else, just because when I encounter them here I have boots on (they are in the pasture if anywhere) but it's flip-flops or barefoot for me in Phoenix. It's a rule I have . Probably not a lot of hiking to be done in flip-flops, but I was hoping to see a javelina on the street or in the wash right by our house, maybe on a short hike up one of the hills around here.
Javelina normally are not that aggressive...if they feel threatened or you are trying to mess with the little ones than yes. We have walked right up to a herd with no issues...as long as you keep your distance and make no threatening movements, you are normally fine to watch them for a bit and then go on your way.

I think you make a good point though for people who have only seen wildlife in a zoo. If you go out and find animals in their natural element you are not watching an animal in a cage. Whatever species it is...it is still a wild animal and it will protect itself. That includes animals that have wandered into your neighborhood.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:44 PM

568 posts, read 1,206,499 times
A couple of points:

First, over the 10+ years I've lived in Phoenix, I've hiked quite a lot in either South Mountain Park, Phoenix Mountain Preserve, Dreamy Draw Park. Have seen lots of interesting, small critters, but no mountain lions. I think the largest risk is dehydration during the summer, or getting lost by going off-trail (as people tend to do in the Superstitious Mountains every so often). Having said that, my mom, who lives up in Cottonwood, actually saw a mountain lion skulking through a nearby wash while she was walking her small dog one early morning. However, the mountain lion must have already eaten, because according to her it did not seem much interested in her or the dog. When I've gone hiking in Sedona, I've heard it's not uncommon to see Mountain lions up there, but I've never heard of anyone getting attacked even in that area (I did see a small snake once while hiking- not even a rattler, though). In fact, the last time I heard of anyone getting attacked was several years ago down in Tuscon- I believe it was a lady who was jogging at dusk. The thing is, dawn and dusk, as with many animals, is the hunting time, so if you're really worried about it, then simply hike after the sun rises. (yeah, I know it's hot but it's going to be hot no matter what in the Summer- not much you can do if the low is 90F). Anyhow, not sure if Phoenix is a great food source for lions, in the sense that larger size prey such as deer aren't available, at least not within the city confines. Maybe in the Phoenix metro outskirts?

As for real critter dangers, I'd go with neighborhood dogs, and Africanized bees. Not too long ago, my neighborhood actually had a lady who was cultivating honey bees in her backyard, but apparently had an unplanned infestation of Africanized bees that caused the colony to go berserk- there were several people in our neighborhood who got attacked...I think a couple even ended up having to go the hospital due to bee allergies, etc. It was in the local news...I think the lady had to relocate the colony- we haven't had any issues since. I'd guess that your chances of encountering a mountain lion are very slim indeed, even if you hiked 365 days of the year- granted it's within the Phoenix city limits.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:10 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post
SteveK64, Besides the bees, I worry more about snakes in Estrella than anything else, just because when I encounter them here I have boots on (they are in the pasture if anywhere) but it's flip-flops or barefoot for me in Phoenix. It's a rule I have . Probably not a lot of hiking to be done in flip-flops, but I was hoping to see a javelina on the street or in the wash right by our house, maybe on a short hike up one of the hills around here.
I understand the snake thing. I was walking in a wash, a path in the middle of the wash actually that is cleared all around near our house, and there he or she was, a small sidewinder right in the middle of it at about 7pm. I was lucky I was watching where I was going because it blended in so well with the ground. I got much closer than I would have liked before my eyes could spot it. My neighbor told me the small snakes are actually more potent venom wise than the adults as the younger ones don't know how to control their poison release as much as the adults and often release more poison in a bite. I told him I trust his research and would prefer not finding that out first hand.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:18 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,478,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I understand the snake thing. I was walking in a wash, a path in the middle of the wash actually that is cleared all around near our house, and there he or she was, a small sidewinder right in the middle of it at about 7pm. I was lucky I was watching where I was going because it blended in so well with the ground. I got much closer than I would have liked before my eyes could spot it. My neighbor told me the small snakes are actually more potent venom wise than the adults as the younger ones don't know how to control their poison release as much as the adults and often release more poison in a bite. I told him I trust his research and would prefer not finding that out first hand.
Most snake bite victims tend to be in one demographic: young men between 18 & 30 who have been drinking alcohol. At least that is what an ER nurse down in Tucson claims in her experience with snake bites.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:40 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,225,324 times
There have been mountain lion sightings around the valley.

Mountain lion killed after running through Peoria yards

Mountain lions sighted on Scottsdale golf course

"The Arizona Game and Fish Department says they are getting several reports of sightings in recent months near the lower salt river, a popular spot for fishing, hiking and camping."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area