Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 07:02 AM

811 posts, read 622,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post

They are often the $30,000.00-$40,000.00 millionaires with plastic money and plastic body parts who frequent the clubs and bars in oldtown.
And therein lies the problem: When you "survey" Scottsdalian's at clubs and bars what would you expect? That is where thousandnaire's and lost souls hang out. The douchebaggery at these places is certainly not limited to people who live in Scottsdale.

Try your surveying at a dog park or other normal places; I think you'll be rather disappointed with the results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 08:27 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
And therein lies the problem: When you "survey" Scottsdalian's at clubs and bars what would you expect? That is where thousandnaire's and lost souls hang out. The douchebaggery at these places is certainly not limited to people who live in Scottsdale.

Try your surveying at a dog park or other normal places; I think you'll be rather disappointed with the results.
"Lost souls", come on. Just because some people enjoy having a few drinks and dancing with their friends doesn't mean they're "lost". It's not my scene either, but I certainly won't judge people for going out and having a good time. Most of them are young anyway. You should step down from your high horse and get out every once in a while.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:59 PM

811 posts, read 622,545 times
Of course there's nothing wrong with going out for a drink or beer at a good watering hole. It's the single's club scene "culture" I'm talking about. In general not the most moral of settings.

Unless they're now doing bible studies on the weekends?

Old 07-11-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Of course there's nothing wrong with going out for a drink or beer at a good watering hole. It's the single's club scene "culture" I'm talking about. In general not the most moral of settings.

Unless they're now doing bible studies on the weekends?
The holier than thou attitde is what's truly immoral. Studying a book of fables doesn't make you any better of a person than anyone else.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:47 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,832 times
Anywhere you have affluent people, you will have a portion of which are snobby and you will also have people that are from less fortunate areas that assume everyone from there is snobby which is incorrect. Scottsdale has a lot of middle and upper middle income residents and then a smaller number of truly wealthy. Considering Phoenix as a whole is a bit lower than the national norm on income, it presents a significant contrast with Scottsdale.

Given the above, Scottsdale is legitimately a snobbyish area but I have a few friends there that are fantastic and are great people to be around. I retire in September and wife and I are coming to look at houses and condos for the winter. I probably have a bit too much Seattle in me (try to appear less wealthy than you actually are) to come off as snobby...hope so.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:33 AM

555 posts, read 862,398 times
Love how everybody paints with a gigantic wide brush on here. Have you ever left Arizona and visited other cities? People come in all varieties. Get off your pedestals, people.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:09 AM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
Any 'snobby' list that doesn't have Naples FL, Sag Harbor NY, Piney Point Village TX, Santa Barbara CA, Chicago's Gold Coast and fist full of other enclaves right on top really can't be considered much of a list.

Seriously, I could name a dozen other places that make the good people of Scottsdale seem like residents of Pixley or Hooterville in terms of being snooty.

Like the prior post, hasn't anyone ever ventured past the city limits sign?

Old 07-12-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Any 'snobby' list that doesn't have Naples FL, Sag Harbor NY, Piney Point Village TX, Santa Barbara CA, Chicago's Gold Coast and fist full of other enclaves right on top really can't be considered much of a list.

Seriously, I could name a dozen other places that make the good people of Scottsdale seem like residents of Pixley or Hooterville in terms of being snooty.

Like the prior post, hasn't anyone ever ventured past the city limits sign?
The article has nothing to do with the attitudes of the residents and their "snobbery". The criteria used was:

Median home price (the higher the better)
Median household income (the higher the better)
Percent of population with a college degree (the higher the better)
Private schools per capita (the more the better)
Performing arts per capita (the more the better)
Art galleries per capita (the more the better)
Fast food restaurants per capita (the fewer the better)

As far as this stupid survey goes, being "snobby" is a good thing. Clearly, many people didn't bother to read the OP and simply saw an opening to bash the city and its residents.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
The article has nothing to do with the attitudes of the residents and their "snobbery". The criteria used was:

Median home price (the higher the better)
Median household income (the higher the better)
Percent of population with a college degree (the higher the better)
Private schools per capita (the more the better)
Performing arts per capita (the more the better)
Art galleries per capita (the more the better)
Fast food restaurants per capita (the fewer the better)

As far as this stupid survey goes, being "snobby" is a good thing. Clearly, many people didn't bother to read the OP and simply saw an opening to bash the city and its residents.
Yup. BTW - I did read it and saw the criteria, but then I forgot this is America 2017 where getting a good education for yourself and your kids, appreciating food, music and the arts are no longer considered aspirational, but rather a sign of something shifty.

Still and all, if one is looking for 'snobby' Mrs. Drysdale could come up with a list much better than what was linked.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:05 PM

My God Milburn, those Scottsdale people are wearing COWBOY BOOTS !!!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area