Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2014, 02:17 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,438,965 times

Advertisements

This has turned into yet another weather/climate thread, in what would be the wrong season for it, rehashing the same stuff over and over again.

A little longer, then this discussion can wait until summer. Unless you want to discuss ONLY winter weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 08:49 AM

77 posts, read 112,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Right the sun and 75 today..have you done 6 months in 100? You might want to try it for a year first.
JP, I apologize if it seems like I'm picking on you, but again, it is not even close to 6 months of 100's (though apparently it may feel like that to you). The average is 92 days over 100 (and 11 of those days, on average, are over 110). Even the record of 100 degree days is less than 5 months.

I'm only trying to be accurate. The cold weather people seem to be acutely aware of their weather statistics and don't over exaggerate and tell you how lucky you are that you don't have to shovel 700 inches of snow a year or that their temperatures are below zero every day for six months.

I understand your point that it wouldn't seem appealing to trade three months of 30's and 40's with 10 inches of snow for 6 months over 100, but those numbers are off on each side.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:43 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,905 times
What is the point of threads like this?? Is this designed to make fun of people that like the cold? Whatever the reason(s) are, Phoenix is no paradise either. It starts hitting 90 something degrees in early April and it may even be that hot in November. There is no let up to that dry heat which is not good for anyone. It can dry out the nose, eyes, and skin. I think if PHX had only three months of real heat, it would be a MUCH better climate. It is just heat for a little bit too long. I'm not knocking this city but I am only trying to point out that this place is not the paradise some people think it is. Even 4 months of heat may be pushing it. But that stated, the nicest weather months in PHX are late November through March.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:56 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,302,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
What is the point of threads like this?? Is this designed to make fun of people that like the cold? Whatever the reason(s) are, Phoenix is no paradise either. It starts hitting 90 something degrees in early April and it may even be that hot in November. There is no let up to that dry heat which is not good for anyone. It can dry out the nose, eyes, and skin. I think if PHX had only three months of real heat, it would be a MUCH better climate. It is just heat for a little bit too long. I'm not knocking this city but I am only trying to point out that this place is not the paradise some people think it is. Even 4 months of heat may be pushing it. But that stated, the nicest weather months in PHX are late November through March.
For you.

The hottest weather is when I am happiest, and I am not alone.

I can't wait till it hits 100 again, and look forward to the hot nights.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:52 AM

9,750 posts, read 11,174,324 times
Quote:
Let's be honest,most people don't like the cold. They do a good job of convincing themselves that they do (so they don't dwell on the negative). That makes sense.... Same-same with the heat of PHX. It's about making the best of what you are dealt.

Anyways, in my eyes, it's nearly paradise for 6 months. So show me someone who said it was paradise here in PHX? Because no one needs a reminder that it is less than ideal over the summer months.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:02 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,474,107 times
Quote:
You are right, too each their own as has been said many times over. Personally I like this time of the year in the Phoenix metro but I enjoy the summer dry heat also and the very warm dry heat desert nights. The summer nights especially are paradise to me. In my view, the Phoenix metro has about 3-4 months of heat but that definition can slide depending on what hot/uncomfortable is to an individual. But I've had friends who don't like anything above 60 degrees and dislike the sun and prefer cloudy days. Go figure.

As for the dry air and living here for 5 years now, it doesn't bother me at all. Eating a healthy diet and foods that nourish the skin from within like ground flax seeds, avocadoes, drink lots of water, etc and we've never had issues with nose, eyes, or skin drying out. If one still has issues, a little lotion(coconut oil works great) on the skin, saline mist in the nose, lip balm, etc. does wonders. When I lived in a climate where we had heat on all the time, even with a whole house humidifier set with 40% humidity, my skin dried out much more than living in the Phoenix metro desert.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:58 PM

498 posts, read 543,848 times
Quote:

Go spend some time in a cold climate, like one long winter. 100 degrees and no humidity is a walk in the park compared to shoveling snow for six months and -20 every night.

You live in LA, you know no cold.

Its paradise.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:42 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,142,091 times
This is normal

Old 12-18-2014, 04:47 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,070,628 times
I love it. It feels like it might snow.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:47 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,654,639 times
I agree that these past couple weeks have been dreary. It's nice and sunny out now though. Still a bit chilly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area