Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 08:20 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,669,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
This is exactly why you DON'T put barn doors in a remodel, you have two people against it and one that is OK with it. If they were standard 6 panel painted hollow core doors, the doors would not be brought up at all. Gotta appeal to the masses.
I don't know that the three of us are a great sampling of the general population. There are plenty of generic flips on the market. Something like this fills a niche where someone wants to buy something more unique that's done for them. Playing it too safe and creating something generic might not be the best strategy either. I'll keep my eye on this. I'm curious to see how quickly it sells.

Here's another flip that I like, although I hate the RV barn and the black counters. These up-market flips with a touch of uniqueness seem to move pretty quickly. https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Scottsdale.../home/27426401 ETA: just realized it's been on the market 200+ days. Yikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 08:27 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,291,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I don't know that the three of us are a great sampling of the general population. There are plenty of generic flips on the market. Something like this fills a niche where someone wants to buy something more unique that's done for them. Playing it too safe and creating something generic might not be the best strategy either. I'll keep my eye on this. I'm curious to see how quickly it sells.

Here's another flip that I like, although I hate the RV barn and the black counters. These up-market flips with a touch of uniqueness seem to move pretty quickly. https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Scottsdale.../home/27426401 ETA: just realized it's been on the market 200+ days. Yikes.

I don't think it will sell very fast, most of the sales within a 1/2 mile radius with similar GLA sold for 300-550K, with 725K being the highest I found so it seems overpriced, but keep us posted. As someone that buys and sells Real Estate for a living, I would always appeal to the masses. You don't want your home to appeal to that one or two specific buyers.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I don't think it will sell very fast, most of the sales within a 1/2 mile radius with similar GLA sold for 300-550K, with 725K being the highest I found so it seems overpriced, but keep us posted. As someone that buys and sells Real Estate for a living, I would always appeal to the masses. You don't want your home to appeal to that one or two specific buyers.
Even in the $700k+ space? I'd think going generic on a higher-dollar home could be dangerous.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:42 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,291,680 times
Quote:
Even in the $700k+ space? I'd think going generic on a higher-dollar home could be dangerous.
It's not really generic, it's doing what is popular. There's modern and you can do the shaker cabinets with quartz cabinets, stainless cabinet pulls, the large porcelain tile, etc. There's rustic, you can do knotty alder cabinets, have wood viga's, natural stone flooring and countertops, etc. Rustic modern is another style that's popular, but I don't see how barn doors fit into any style that you see nowadays. It seems like the kind of thing architects like to be "different" but being different is almost never good when selling real estate. IMO if you want to take a risk in a remodel, do something that is easily curable, such as a unique paint color.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:47 AM

397 posts, read 603,861 times
Quote:

I don't get the RV barn. Why would a flipper add an RV barn to a house like that? I can see how someone would buy the house and add an RV barn because they had an RV but who adds it to flip the house? I also don't understand the guest house. I'm assuming it's a flip based on the sales history.

I like the white cabinets and black countertops but I'd prefer a more matte black with white cabs.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
It's not really generic, it's doing what is popular. There's modern and you can do the shaker cabinets with quartz cabinets, stainless cabinet pulls, the large porcelain tile, etc. There's rustic, you can do knotty alder cabinets, have wood viga's, natural stone flooring and countertops, etc. Rustic modern is another style that's popular, but I don't see how barn doors fit into any style that you see nowadays. It seems like the kind of thing architects like to be "different" but being different is almost never good when selling real estate. IMO if you want to take a risk in a remodel, do something that is easily curable, such as a unique paint color.
Yeah, makes sense.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:06 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,961,307 times
I don't think a lot of the houses in Gilbert\Chandler are old enough to justify a full remodel. My house is 15 years old and the cabinets are still in great shape. When we were looking to buy a year or so back most of the kitchen "remodels" in the east valley had painted cabinets, which is probably the worst decision one could make and killed all of our interest in a house.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
I don't think a lot of the houses in Gilbert\Chandler are old enough to justify a full remodel. My house is 15 years old and the cabinets are still in great shape. When we were looking to buy a year or so back most of the kitchen "remodels" in the east valley had painted cabinets, which is probably the worst decision one could make and killed all of our interest in a house.
Just because you're not a fan of white cabinets or is there another reason? If the cabinets are nice solid wood ones in good condition, just with an ugly finish, I see nothing against painting them but maybe I'm missing something.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:26 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,961,307 times
Quote:
Just because you're not a fan of white cabinets or is there another reason? If the cabinets are nice solid wood ones in good condition, just with an ugly finish, I see nothing against painting them but maybe I'm missing something.
They might be ok if one knew what they were doing. The cabinets on the houses we looked at I could run my fingernail down and scratch the paint right off, I just didn't see it lasting long. You could just glance at them and tell someone took a can of spray paint to them.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
They might be ok if one knew what they were doing. The cabinets on the houses we looked at I could run my fingernail down and scratch the paint right off, I just didn't see it lasting long. You could just glance at them and tell someone took a can of spray paint to them.
I would turn and run too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area