Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 05:36 PM

112 posts, read 602,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Have you checked the yellowpages online? Try dexonline.com and do a search. I'm not sure what locals think about it, I guess we think it's fine. I don't usually hear too much about it.

Thanks Sablebaby,
Will do the search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2006, 06:01 PM

751 posts, read 1,179,461 times
Default Phoenix is bad

I dont mean to burst anybody's bubble but I dislike Phoenix immensely. I lived in Mesa for 3 years and this is definitely a city I would NEVER move back to. Phoenix is known by many as "crap magnet", it is a magnet for Southern trailer trash like no other city. It is a big city with no culture of its own, nothing to do, it is a sterile place with no character, no soul. Besides all the Southern trash, lots of California criminals and gang members are moving to Phoenix to escape the "three strikes you are out" laws in California. This place is growing out of control, with no planning and infra structure, crime is very high, not so much in the suburbs but in the city, it is pretty bad. Downtown Phoenix is probably the least attractive downtown I have ever seen, it is just dead after 6 pm.Now the worst thing about this place is the heat..dry heat eh? You will see what is like when you wake up at 7 am and you are all sweaty. I do not recommend Phoenix area to anybody.

Old 11-10-2006, 06:26 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
I dont mean to burst anybody's bubble but I dislike Phoenix immensely. I lived in Mesa for 3 years and this is definitely a city I would NEVER move back to. Phoenix is known by many as "crap magnet", it is a magnet for Southern trailer trash like no other city. It is a big city with no culture of its own, nothing to do, it is a sterile place with no character, no soul. Besides all the Southern trash, lots of California criminals and gang members are moving to Phoenix to escape the "three strikes you are out" laws in California. This place is growing out of control, with no planning and infra structure, crime is very high, not so much in the suburbs but in the city, it is pretty bad. Downtown Phoenix is probably the least attractive downtown I have ever seen, it is just dead after 6 pm.Now the worst thing about this place is the heat..dry heat eh? You will see what is like when you wake up at 7 am and you are all sweaty. I do not recommend Phoenix area to anybody.
LOL. I don't think I have met more than a handful of southerners in the three decades I have lived here. I get the impression that southerners stay at home. Must be a nice place to live (the south) - though I would never feel right there.

BTW, Arizona has a three strikes law as well. And felonies committed in other states count toward the three.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:19 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,823 times
I agree. This place is really a magnet for people from the Midwest who move out here to get away from the cold and lack of jobs.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:09 AM

Default Will check out Phoenix in 2 weeks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post

Ya, been hearing a lot about the crime rate. What type? Burglary, murders, rapes? Is it true that people can carry a gun around? Could this be the reason for the crime rate? I grew up in Chicago, the city, lots of crime there. Just need to be sharp, stay away from bad neiborhoods, travel in groups, etc. I was actually mugged in front of my house in the middle of January in my freshman year in college. I was the only victim that night they didn't hurt. With my help, they caught them and sent to cook county. Anyway, since then I try to be very aware of my surrounding. And after having kids, I am even more aware. I try do my research and get a feel for the neigorbhood.
We are looking to live in Phoenix to have a better/comfortable life. Thank you for your input but how about the 85085 zip code? Is this a bad neiborhood?

As far as the heat, growing up in Chicago, lived in New England for 13+ years and 6yrs. in San Diego, not ready to go back yet to the windy city of Chicago. Maybe in a couple of years.

BTW, where do you live now?

Old 11-11-2006, 11:13 AM

Default And this is bad, why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
I agree. This place is really a magnet for people from the Midwest who move out here to get away from the cold and lack of jobs.

Midwest people are friendly. They will not hesitate to hold the door open for you, help change your flat tire etc.

Where are you from?

Old 11-11-2006, 02:04 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitas View Post
Midwest people are friendly. They will not hesitate to hold the door open for you, help change your flat tire etc.

Where are you from?
I have nothing against people from the Midwest. They are normally very nice and as I said on another thread, their public education system is ranked very high nationally.

Maybe my only complaint with people from the Midwest is that many (apart from Chicago) are a little naïve. Some of my friends out here are from Iowa and they are the nicest people in the world, but they come from VERY small farming communities and are completely clueless on what makes a “city.” I think that is a big reason this place is so anti-urban.

As for myself, I grew up in Texas but moved to Washington D.C. after collage and worked out there for about 5 years. After that I came out here for grad school. Arizona is definitely not the place for me and that’s why I’m off to Boston in May.

Last edited by irwin; 11-11-2006 at 02:18 PM..

Old 11-11-2006, 02:27 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,453,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano View Post
No doubt, money does not buy happiness; just one look at the dissfunction from the easy money Hollywood crowd tells us that. Moving anywhere from the San Diego area could have its disappointments. Keep an open mind, be prepared for the heat and the lack of an urban lifestyle. Whatever that is.
Be prepared for nothing to do, no sense of community, an apathy beyond belief, and you'll do just fine. If strip malls, movie theatres, and chain restaurants are enough to make you happy, you'll do just fine.

Forget the walks on the beach, Shelter Island, Downtown SD, La Jolla, Old Town, THE OCEAN, and you'll do just fine. This place is abysmal.

I haven't been to SD since 1993, and I imagine it's changed quite a bit. Still, this place is a brown pit in the middle of nowhere.

Old 11-11-2006, 04:14 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Be prepared for nothing to do, no sense of community, an apathy beyond belief, and you'll do just fine. If strip malls, movie theatres, and chain restaurants are enough to make you happy, you'll do just fine.
Good grief! Just what do those who post such things want to do that they can't? Go to azcentral.com and check events. There is everything from professional sports, to art displays, to opera, to theatre, to movies, to city festivals, to food tasting events, to book signings, to poetry readings, to mountain hiking, to horseback riding, to urban fishing, to having a picnic, to playing in a sports league, to NASCAR and on and on and on. It's like that this weekend and every weekend of the year including summer. And yes, the city is large and spread out. You actually have to get off the couch, get in the car, and drive to events. But don't say there is "nothing to do". Maybe "there is nothing that interests me" or "nothing I want to do" would be more accurate.

Old 11-11-2006, 04:57 PM

Default You will enjoy Boston!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
I have nothing against people from the Midwest. They are normally very nice and as I said on another thread, their public education system is ranked very high nationally.

Maybe my only complaint with people from the Midwest is that many (apart from Chicago) are a little naïve. Some of my friends out here are from Iowa and they are the nicest people in the world, but they come from VERY small farming communities and are completely clueless on what makes a “city.” I think that is a big reason this place is so anti-urban.

As for myself, I grew up in Texas but moved to Washington D.C. after collage and worked out there for about 5 years. After that I came out here for grad school. Arizona is definitely not the place for me and that’s why I’m off to Boston in May.
You will defintely love Boston especially in the fall. Give my regards.

As far as Arizona, we will need to just to take a lot of short weekends and go to Flagstaff, Sedona, vegas etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area