Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 06:37 PM

39,079 posts, read 51,252,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Yes. I am very excited. I spent a lot of time visiting Boston when I lived in D.C. I have a very good friend who currently lives in the North End. I’m going to room with him for awhile until I save up enough to buy a place. The winter weather in Boston stinks, but the springs, summers, and falls are amazing. And the city is without a doubt one of the best in the country.

As far as Arizona, I have visited Northern Arizona and loved the Grand Canyon and Sedona. I wasn’t that impressed with Flagstaff, but I think I was expecting something more like Aspen or Brackenridge. But, I will give it this, the weather is much better than Phoenix.

In the end, I am a city person and Arizona just doesn’t do it for me. Camping and hiking is fun every once in awhile, but I’m more of an urban type and I miss walking around the city and neighborhoods. But, I can say this about the experience; at least it has helped me realize what is important to me.
I like your thoughtful and well-stated viewpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2006, 08:10 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,453,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Encanto, Cesar Chavez, Kiwanis Tempe, Tempe Town Lake, Chapparal - maybe more but I know of only these ones.
'
From the AZ Game and Fish website:

Arizona Urban Fishing Program
Arizona's Urban Fishing Program is recognized nationally as one of the best in the country. The Program is a partnership with the Game and Fish Department and local Parks and Recreation Departments to intensively stock and manage park lakes for fishing recreation. Simply put, the Program operates on the premise that "if people can't get out of town to fish, we will bring fish into town for the people." The Program provides convenient, affordable, accessible and fun fishing for anglers of all ages and abilities.

There are currently 20 designated Urban Fishing Program lakes in 11 cities. These lakes are intensively stocked from 20-24 times per year with trout, catfish and sunfish. The cost of bringing these keeper-sized fish into city park lakes means that anglers age 14 and over must purchase a $16 Class U (urban fishing) license to fish Urban Program lakes. Participating lakes are identified by signs posted at each park. Check for lake locations, park hours and regulations, fish species lists, and all kinds of fishing information in the 2006 Urban Fishing Regulations [PDF, 1.2mb] available at your nearest license dealer, Game and Fish office, or as a download (PDF) from this site.

These specially designated Program lakes are stocked with healthy, catchable fish on an every-other week basis throughout most of the year. Farm-raised channel catfish (15-18 inch average) are stocked from mid March through early July and from late September through mid November. Rainbow trout (9-12 inch average) are stocked from mid November to March. Sunfish are stocked two times during the year in May and November. There are no fish stockings scheduled between July 10 and September 20 due to high lake temperature conditions and the high risk of transporting fish this time of year.
Tempe town lake? You mean the salt river flat bed that was dammed and flooded with a plane flying over every two seconds which isn't even a real lake? Yeah, they flooded the bed, and then due to concerns over West Nile Virus dumped a ton of pesticides in it. Yeah, I want to eat anything out of that stagnant hole or even stick my foot in it. Far as the other in town "lakes" you mention, it's just the same, although they may "look better."

Furthermore, what's with the canned response? You have to post chamber of commerce websites? ****. If you know of something good, share it. Otherwise, you can just post chamber of commerce stuff and then everyone will get your level of knowledge of this place.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:27 AM

20 posts, read 97,164 times
Movin On, what is your personal crusade against the Valley? Does your bitterness, run so deep that it has become a mandate for you to shatter anyone's dream to possibly relocate here?

Please share with us where the Garden of Eden lies so we may be enlighted and share in its fruits. I am anxious to learn of this place that is void of crime, that its citizens whole goal is to make your life better.

Seriously, rather than continue to strike fear in anyone's possible relocation to the Valley, why not go to the venues that you deem of value to live, and relish with others that share your opinion, its a more positive use of your time, and you may enjoy life a little more.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:52 PM

112 posts, read 602,542 times
Default Feeling bad for "movin on"

Quote:
Originally Posted by adogslife View Post
Movin On, what is your personal crusade against the Valley? Does your bitterness, run so deep that it has become a mandate for you to shatter anyone's dream to possibly relocate here?

Please share with us where the Garden of Eden lies so we may be enlighted and share in its fruits. I am anxious to learn of this place that is void of crime, that its citizens whole goal is to make your life better.

Seriously, rather than continue to strike fear in anyone's possible relocation to the Valley, why not go to the venues that you deem of value to live, and relish with others that share your opinion, its a more positive use of your time, and you may enjoy life a little more.
His post make me feel bad. Not for me, but for him/her. "Movin on" sounds very unhappy. I hope he/she finds peace. AS for me, if Arizona doens't work out, we'll move back to Chicago. But our opportunity is there for the moment. I will be in Az. in less than 2 weeks. Can't wait. I'm really excited. WE have good trusting friends in Az. who will help and support us. They are aware that if things doesn't work out, we'lll move on too, that's the worst thing that can happen. But I really feel good about the idea of relocating to AZ. At least I won't need to worry about running into "movin-on" in downtown Phoenix.

Old 11-12-2006, 01:11 PM

Default Have no choice:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
BTW, Encinitas, the first place I ever lived in CA was Encinitas, near the Carlsbad lagoon. It was very pretty then. I am trying to encourage you not to make a Big mistake, in spite of all these posters motivated by buyer's remorse. Don't do it. Look elsewhere in CA or OR or WA.
I wish we can stay in Encinitas. I love it here. But we are only 6 hrs. away? We will definitely visit or if our situation changes, we can always move back.

Old 11-12-2006, 01:17 PM

Default Compare to Chicago, winter in Boston is not too bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Yes. I am very excited. I spent a lot of time visiting Boston when I lived in D.C. I have a very good friend who currently lives in the North End. I’m going to room with him for awhile until I save up enough to buy a place. The winter weather in Boston stinks, but the springs, summers, and falls are amazing. And the city is without a doubt one of the best in the country.

As far as Arizona, I have visited Northern Arizona and loved the Grand Canyon and Sedona. I wasn’t that impressed with Flagstaff, but I think I was expecting something more like Aspen or Brackenridge. But, I will give it this, the weather is much better than Phoenix.

In the end, I am a city person and Arizona just doesn’t do it for me. Camping and hiking is fun every once in awhile, but I’m more of an urban type and I miss walking around the city and neighborhoods. But, I can say this about the experience; at least it has helped me realize what is important to me.
I didn't mind the winters in Boston. In fact it is very pretty during winter. Not too many black slush like in Chicago. Trees covered with snow was my favorite.

I'm not a city person anymore especially after living in New Hamsphire. So, I think we will be okay.

Old 11-12-2006, 03:25 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adogslife View Post

Movin' on is young, she has a lot to say and needs to be where others agree with with her current values, in San Francisco. As she matures, her bitterness will mellow. She will become more mainstream and less apt to poo-poo strip malls and other facts of life. Give her a chance to stop and smell the flowers and wear them in her hair. Years from now you'll see her in the California Forum, dyyyyiiinnnggg to get out of that state!

Old 11-15-2006, 12:07 AM

6 posts, read 22,213 times
Arizona VS San Diego. Man what a decision. If you jog the coast line all of the time and visit the beach every weekend then stay, but if not move to Phoenix. These guys can help you http://www.AzPlatinumRealty.com/ (broken link)

Old 11-15-2006, 09:49 AM

Default Unfortunately, no walks/jogging by the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansonj View Post
Arizona VS San Diego. Man what a decision. If you jog the coast line all of the time and visit the beach every weekend then stay, but if not move to Phoenix. These guys can help you http://www.AzPlatinumRealty.com/ (broken link)

Too busy working to enjoy and find time to go to the beach Maybe went to the beach 5x this summer?

Thanks for the info. will check the website

Old 11-19-2006, 07:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,566 times
Default relocating from SD

hello Encinitas - think long and hard befor leaving sunny san diego. I did and I regret it. I am a california native and after 12 years in Phoenix I still have trouble with the climate and the people. It is very hot and although the west side is affordable, you will need to make sure you stay in the northern parts of the cities, Arrowhead and north phoenix with is next to Glendale would be a very nice comfortable and affordable lifestyle and the schools are good too. The summers are unbearable and although we are quite close to SD, sometimes life's responsibilities make it hard to get back to the beach for even a weekend. This is a very conservative state, the people don't come out in the summer - because it is so hot. I don't want to say the people are rude, but not overly friendly like you may find in the beach communities.
Let's just say there is a reason SD is so expensive, but you pay for what you get. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area