Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 01:25 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,139,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasaz View Post
I'm not even suggesting that people should live right where they work. I'm not commanding people to buy a house in Downtown Phoenix within walking distance of their office tower. I'm just suggesting that there are neighborhoods that don't have those problems that you mentioned and are closer to those jobs, but people are obsessed with ideas of absolute security, newness, and homogeneity (not going to get into that, I hope you know what I mean). If people keep leaving these areas at the first sign of trouble (vagrants, inferior school sports teams, etc), we're going to end up with a lot of crappy areas throughout the valley. A lot of the middle class areas with subdivisions and large malls in the Phoenix metro have deteriorated quickly. (And don't try to suggest these neighborhoods have always been working class like they are now, I've lived here a long time and most of them were usually middle class subdivisions, with some working class sections, now they're completely working class.) I can't think of very many original master planned subdivisions of Phoenix and Mesa that are still worth living in. We keep trying to convince ourselves that what we are doing now is different, it's better, not the same as the old days. We have HOA's, business parks, no starter homes being built, etc. But it stinks to see entire neighborhoods that you once used to go to just become borderline suburban slums and still see the same basic rapid developmental patterns throughout the Valley.

It boils down to this: people are leaving these places that were once considered safe zones away from cities and moving into other similar places that are newer and further out. People leave areas in Chandler to move to another part of Chandler for a newer, bigger house. Especially older people who don't even have any kids to raise, so they don't have to worry about schools. It's a funny concept.

There is a slight cultural shift. Younger people want to live in more urban areas, cultural hotspot areas. I know some people who commute from neighborhoods in Central and Roosevelt to Chandler for work. I also have heard of some people who commute from Tempe and Scottsdale (hardly a cultural area ) to Chandler too. They don't really find these suburbs interesting and they are willing to deal with some of the issues that you mentioned and mitigate them by finding specific areas that are decent. The idea that young people don't want to live in suburbs is overblown. I completely agree with belgirl on that point. There will always be demand for safe neighborhoods with bigger houses. But there is a slight shift.
It's called "White Flight" and it has been happening for decades...not just in Phoenix. As I stated in a previous post...it feels more economic now than skin tone...but as areas deteriorate, those that have the means to leave, leave. Years later, some people look at areas downtown and say..."hey that would be a nice area if it were cleaned up"...but it takes time, money and the desire to fix up an area. Something the present residents don't have. There you have your "gentrification" crowd. Still others will want high-rise apartments built downtown and desire "urban" spaces. No place stays the same as it was. Chandler has definitely changed for the worse in the 14 years I've lived here. Some areas are better, most are sliding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 02:17 PM

525 posts, read 539,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
It's called "White Flight" and it has been happening for decades...not just in Phoenix. As I stated in a previous post...it feels more economic now than skin tone...but as areas deteriorate, those that have the means to leave, leave. Years later, some people look at areas downtown and say..."hey that would be a nice area if it were cleaned up"...but it takes time, money and the desire to fix up an area. Something the present residents don't have. There you have your "gentrification" crowd. Still others will want high-rise apartments built downtown and desire "urban" spaces. No place stays the same as it was. Chandler has definitely changed for the worse in the 14 years I've lived here. Some areas are better, most are sliding.
Ironically our Gilbert neighborhood is pretty diverse--I have met Asians, African-Americans, Filipinos, Hispanics, and people from India. So I think you are right that it's more economic. I feel like Chandler started to deteriorate in parts after the housing market crashed. Alot of people lost their homes, moved, houses were bought at bargain prices and then rented out. Why do you think areas in Chandler are sliding? People moving farther out or out of state? More renting?

Last edited by belgirl; 07-25-2017 at 03:04 PM..

Old 07-25-2017, 03:59 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
Ironically our Gilbert neighborhood is pretty diverse--I have met Asians, African-Americans, Filipinos, Hispanics, and people from India. So I think you are right that is more economic. I feel like Chandler started to deteriorate in parts after the housing market crashed. Alot of people lost their homes, moved, houses were bought at bargain prices and then rented out. Why do you think areas in Chandler are sliding? People moving farther out or out of state? More renting?
Our neighborhood is pretty multi-cultural as well...it is a good thing, my daughter even explained to me what a "bindi mark" was.

From what I am seeing...and don't get me wrong, renters aren't bad...but basically the less expensive part of our neighborhood has been converted to rentals. We have 4 new apartment complexes within the area as well as some "luxury Condos" that were built. CUSD came down 2 years ago and told all the schools they need to take as many out of bounds students as they can to make up for the parents putting their kids into Charters or Private schools. This makes the traffic around the schools INSANE at pickup/dropoff as OOB students can't take buses.

The demographics have changed as well...and this really depends on what your definition of the "class" space is...to me, "Middle Class" "Upper Middle Class" etc. not only addresses your financial position but your attitude, the way you treat others, education level, the way you respect yourself, etc. What we have noticed lately is a lot of people moving here from other, more expensive, parts of the country that don't have "the people skills". Sure they can afford a home or the rent in a Middle to Upper Middle class area...but apparently they were never taught common courtesy or decency. To top it off...now that they live in a nice area...they think they can treat everyone around them like crap and put on airs like they are better than everyone else. No, this is not a race thing, it is a "don't be a dbag" thing. Unfortunately, you see it all over "Ocotillo Friends" and "Living Chandler"...pretentious snobs walking around in their "active wear".

Old 07-28-2017, 10:16 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
Ironically our Gilbert neighborhood is pretty diverse--I have met Asians, African-Americans, Filipinos, Hispanics, and people from India. So I think you are right that it's more economic. I feel like Chandler started to deteriorate in parts after the housing market crashed. Alot of people lost their homes, moved, houses were bought at bargain prices and then rented out. Why do you think areas in Chandler are sliding? People moving farther out or out of state? More renting?
I lived in Chandler before the great recession, it was a good area at the time and continues to be one of the better suburbs with nice neighborhoods and good schools.

It seems to be attracting a more diverse population now with more working professionals moving in because of it being an employment center focused on technology jobs.

I don't know what parts of Chandler have gone downhill unless they are some of the older neighborhoods close to downtown. It's sad if those areas have deteriorated because they could be gentrified and brought back to life.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:56 AM

525 posts, read 539,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
I lived in Chandler before the great recession, it was a good area at the time and continues to be one of the better suburbs with nice neighborhoods and good schools.

It seems to be attracting a more diverse population now with more working professionals moving in because of it being an employment center focused on technology jobs.

I don't know what parts of Chandler have gone downhill unless they are some of the older neighborhoods close to downtown. It's sad if those areas have deteriorated because they could be gentrified and brought back to life.
I love what they have done in downtown itself, but we have seen a deterioration of some of the areas around downtown. (If that is even possible)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area