Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:29 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,312,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
What I was saying is that since we won't be moving until about a year, I was just going to look at apartment complexes, and not houses, since those houses most likely won't be available by the time we move.
Oh, OK. You got me worried here - just thought there's somebody more paranoid than I am!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 08:24 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,194,464 times
You can take a drive down Mill in Tempe, that's always nice.

From my last post, if you drive through PV and head into Arcadia, I'd take a left at Camelback and take that until you hit Scottsdale rd. You'll see the Scottsdale Fashion Square. Take a left and take that all the way up to the loop 101. That's a good little drive through old town and up to North Scottsdale.

I don't have any advice about the east side of town, besides Tempe. Maybe someone else can help you there.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:54 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,800,008 times
ComputerGuy, you've gotten a lot of advice on where to go and what to see during your two day visit. I think some of the suggestions for touring the west and northwest valley locations are a little ambitious to say the least, considering you are staying at Scottsdale Rd and McKellips on the Scottsdale/Tempe border. You can certainly do it, but how much you'll actually "see" is another thing entirely, especially if you want to squeeze in some sightseeing. I'd focus on the east valley this trip. I won't try to guide you too much on apartment hunting, but if you go to Gilbert, the 3 or 4 complexes on Gilbert Rd between Baseline and Guadalupe may still be Section 8. (Vantage Point is the only name I remember.) There are some nicer looking places close to US60 along Val Vista, Greenfield, Higley and Superstition Springs Blvd a little farther east.

The suggestion for State Route 88 aka The Apache Trail, is a good one, but I'd stop at Tortilla Flat this time (besides, there's less traffic to deal with up there during the summer). The road turns to dirt a little over six miles beyond that. There's an overlook at the top of Fish Creek Hill if you want to go that far (about 8 miles beyond Tortilla). Canyon Lake was down approximately 50' but as of Sunday when I was there it was back to within 20-25' of being refilled. There's plenty to see on the way. There's the relatively new Superstition Mtn Museum in Apache Junction at milepost 199. The "Elvis Presley Chapel" was moved from Apacheland to the Museum and rebuilt. There's info about it on their webpage: Lost Dutchman Goldmine Museum - Apache Junction Arizona

Less than a mile beyond that is the turnoff to the Mining Camp restaurant at Nodak Rd. It has a curio shop and an all you can eat meal of BBQ ribs, chicken, beans, coleslaw and ham with a pineapple sauce on the side with ice tea, coffee, stuffing, raisin bread and dinner rolls for $18.95. Seating is at long tables and the dinnerware is metal, just like an old mining camp. We took some of my wife's NY relatives there last Wednesday and the place was almost deserted. BTW, the view of the Superstitions from there can't be beat-it's right at the base of the mountain. Mining Camp Restaurant - An Arizona Tradition Since 1961 - Apache Junction, Arizona

A little over a mile down the road is a tourist trap called the Goldfield Ghost Town, if you're interested. It's free to walk around and worth a visit at least once. Again, great view of the Superstitions. Arizona's Goldfield Ghost Town and mine tours: Home Page

If you need any more east valley info, let me know.
Have Fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area