Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 02:37 PM

208 posts, read 819,614 times

Advertisements

I'll be in Phoenix in a few days and I need to know what I should do. I probably won't look at buying a house, but I would like to either rent a house or a very nice apartment. Most like it will be an apartment, because I still have almost a full year until I move, so I'm sure whatever house I would like at would be gone by the time I actually moved.

I'll only have 2 full days to explore so I need to hit as many cities as I can, i.e., Gilbert, Scottsdale, Suprise etc.

I'll have my GPS, so finding my way around won't be a problem. I would also like to see some very nice scenery so if there are some Interstates, or State roads I should travel, then please let me know.

My plan is to come back in the summer and stay a little longer, but I do want to make the most out of this trip.

Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 03:11 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Get out a map and look at the freeways. I would travel these freeways as much as possible. The loop 101 is great as it takes you from the east side up to the north (scottsdale, phoenix, glendale, and peoria) and then loops down heading south. It takes you back to the 10. At that point you can go west a little bit more, but I'd go east back through phoenix. If you take all the freeways you will see a little bit of almost all the cities.

For a little bit of scenic view, I always like taking the 202 eastbound into
Tempe. You will see Tempe town lake and the ASU stadium. I think it's pretty.

There is so much area to cover and so little time. You will notice most of the cities/suburbs will look the same, at least on the freeways.

While you are traveling the loop 101, get off at Bell and take it to Surprise. When done, take Bell back to the freeway and continue on. Boy, GPS will be very handy.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:32 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
Most like it will be an apartment, because I still have almost a full year until I move, so I'm sure whatever house I would like at would be gone by the time I actually moved.
Just out of curiosity... why in the world would you rent an apartment a full year earlier?! And at first it sounded like you weren't going to move before actually finding a job. A whole lot of things can change in a year.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:53 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
If you want some real scenery, not some urban "mountains" take US 60 east to the Arizona 88 exit at Idaho Road. Go north (left) following signs to Salt River lakes, Canyon Lake, Apache Lake or the like (it's hard to go wrong). Stay on the road past Canyon Lake to Tortilla Flat. Take a break at Tortilla Flat and then go on to Apache Lake if you are up for it. Just past Tortilla Flat the pavement ends - it can be washboardy but the road is otherwise good - but the scenery get better, especially on Fish Creek Hill. Fish Creek Hill looks more intimidating than it is and the view from the bottom is neat. It looks like rain for your visit but if its raining you might see some several hundred foot waterfalls at the bottom of Fish Creek Hill. Keep on going past Apache Lake (there's a restaurant at Apache Lake), over Roosevelt Dam and back to Phoenix via the Beeline Highway. Check out the fountain at Fountain Hills. It goes off at the top of the hour.

The trip will probably take you 6 or so hours with stops - less than half that if you turn around and go back at Tortilla Flat. This loop is the first place I always take my out of town relatives and it ALWAYS leaves them in awe of Arizona natural beauty. You will never say the desert is ugly after taking this loop.

One caveat, Canyon Lake is very low right now for dam repairs and may not give the visual impact it usually does when you come around the rocks and see it.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 01-21-2008 at 05:02 PM..

Old 01-21-2008, 05:11 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
I have some more ideas. Take Central rd from Northern down through downtown. That will take you through the Central Corridor, through "midtown" and into downtown phx. It's a nice little drive.

Also, while you are up in the northern areas of phx (on the way to Surprise), take the 59th ave exit from the loop 101, make a right and you'll be in Arrowhead Ranch and Arrowhead Lakes. Up a little on the right will be a small community called Del Lago and just north of there will be Arrowhead Lakes. Go to the last light (before you go through the little mtn pass) Melinda and make a left and take that to Deer Valley rd, make a right and you'll see some nice big homes. That's all AH Ranch. Take that to 67th ave and make a left back to the 101.

I would also take Tatum blvd (from the hwy 51, go east from the Shea exit) go south on Tatum and you're in the Town of Paradise Valley. Continue on that until you get to McDonald (this will be the base of the front end of Camelback Mtn- the camel's head). It's a beautiful area with tons of mansions on the side of the mtns. I LOVE it! You can continue onto 44th st from there and another mile or less you'll hit the Arcadia area.

These are just some of my favorite scenic areas of town.

Last edited by sablebaby; 01-21-2008 at 08:25 PM..

Old 01-21-2008, 05:34 PM

Default :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Just out of curiosity... why in the world would you rent an apartment a full year earlier?! And at first it sounded like you weren't going to move before actually finding a job. A whole lot of things can change in a year.
Wow, I noticed I chopped up the English language when I posted. My mistake.

What I was saying is that since we won't be moving until about a year, I was just going to look at apartment complexes, and not houses, since those houses most likely won't be available by the time we move.

I definitely don't plan on leasing an apartment until we move, but I do want to see which apartment complexes look the nicest while I'm there.

I'm up in the air on the job situation. I know it will be difficult trying to find employment unless I'm local, so I'm planning on having enough money saved, just in case.

I work in IT, and I see a good amount of IT jobs in Phoenix, but I'll cross that bridge later this year.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:40 PM

Default proofread

Quote:
Most like it will be an apartment, because I still have almost a full year until I move, so I'm sure whatever house I would like at would be gone by the time I actually moved.
Wow, is there an editor in the house? I need to make sure I proofread better before I post...ughhh

I meant to say that most likely it will be an apartment, because I still have almost a full year until I move. I'm sure that whatever house I look at would be gone by the time I actually move.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:25 PM

648 posts, read 3,090,224 times
after touring tempe take scottsdale road north through old scottsdale (lots of new construction but a little bit of old time charm is left!) to north scottsdale and all the way to cave creek and carefree. the desert is beautiful out in cave creek and carefree. eat at the horney toad or the satisfied frog

Old 01-21-2008, 06:31 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Quote:
Wow, hold on a second here! You aren't planning on moving for a full year? I was under the impression from your previous posts that the move was happening fast. In this case, maybe you should make your trip more of a vacation, with a little bit of apartment hunting on the side. Scope the greater Phoenix area out and see if it's a place you actually want to live. If you want to see something nice that's within an easy day trip, go to Tucson and check out Sabino Canyon. You'll see what the Sonoran Desert looks like at its best. You could do the apartment hunting when you come back in summer, which will be good because it will give you a realistic idea of what it's like to constantly be jumping in and out of the car and walking out in the heat.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Wow, hold on a second here! You aren't planning on moving for a full year? You could do the apartment hunting when you come back in summer, which will be good because it will give you a realistic idea of what it's like to constantly be jumping in and out of the car and walking out in the heat.
I'm still finishing up school, and I have to stay with my game plan. I have to make sure that my family has plenty of money saved, and that I come to Phoenix armed with experience, money, and a degree.

I have a good idea of what the heat will be like, I was in Vegas a few years ago in the middle of summer, and I also drove over to AZ. I enjoyed the heat, especially the humidity. I don't want to make the trip too much of a vacation, because if there is some problem coming back in the summer, then I want to make sure that I didn't waste my trip when I had the chance.

I'll feel better about posting after my visit, since I'll be able give some insight from an outsiders point of view on the great Phoenix area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area