Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 02:34 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,141,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
The cost of what opponents are calling a "massive tax increase" amounts to 30 cents on a $100 purchase.
Sorry dear...better put back three packs of ramen this week...light rail is coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 02:38 PM

551 posts, read 693,828 times
I'm not in phoenix proper so this isn't something I am voting on, but Phoenix has some terrible congestion due to antiquated roads and infrastructure, and while this proposition sounds very good to me (I think expanding the light rail will remove a fair amount of cars, but) I am not sure if it will really remove enough cars to really address the main issues which I view phoenix having in terms of transit: extreme congestion and near-standstill traffic at certain times of the day due to on/off ramps and not enough lanes.

This proposition doesn't seem to address that issue. I would sooner vote for that! It is a nightmare to get on 51 or 17 from 10/202 at certain parts of the day.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:42 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,745,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Sorry dear...better put back three packs of ramen this week...light rail is coming.
Sales tax on food ended 3/31/2015. Is ramen really that cheap?

Old 07-14-2015, 02:48 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,141,375 times
Back when I actually ate them in college they were something like 10 for a buck. Could be more now...might as well pour hot water over a salt lick.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:59 PM

8,273 posts, read 8,662,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post

The opponents have "focused" mainly on light rail. The truth is that only $6.7 billion of the $31.5 billion goes for expanding "light rail and high capacity transit" which includes Bus Rapid Transit (BRT). That's only about 21% of the total. The rest goes for buses, street improvements, bike lanes, etc.

The cost of what opponents are calling a "massive tax increase" amounts to 30 cents on a $100 purchase.
I don't live in Phoenix or get to vote on this but I will still give my opinion because that is the type of guy I am.

Lots of needed improvements that will cost next to nothing to the individual. How could anyone think this would hurt the area? I would be in favor of a much larger bill that would cover the entire valley, not light rail all over but general improvements are needed everywhere. With our population transportation must be constantly upgraded.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:04 PM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusland View Post
I'm not in phoenix proper so this isn't something I am voting on, but Phoenix has some terrible congestion due to antiquated roads and infrastructure, and while this proposition sounds very good to me (I think expanding the light rail will remove a fair amount of cars, but) I am not sure if it will really remove enough cars to really address the main issues which I view phoenix having in terms of transit: extreme congestion and near-standstill traffic at certain times of the day due to on/off ramps and not enough lanes.

This proposition doesn't seem to address that issue. I would sooner vote for that! It is a nightmare to get on 51 or 17 from 10/202 at certain parts of the day.
Light rail will do nothing to relieve congestion at rush hour. The population growth while the expansion is being constructed will put more cars on the road than could ever be taken off by light rail. Light rail is waste of money, basically. It does not pencil out, never has, never will. You have to be able to vote for it because it is cool, it's something that the city needs to be grown up, it will encourage development wherever it goes.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:09 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,964,244 times
I'm completely in, I really hope it passes, we have a laughable urban core for a city of this size. This is a huge step in the right direction and will propel many young professionals, as myself, to look much harder at living in Phoenix.

This propaganda is ridiculous, it's less than 1/3 of a cent on the dollar! Surprise had like a 11% sales tax when I lived there. It's time to grow up Phoenix!

Tempe is properly capitalizing on the increased foot traffic.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:13 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,372,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I'm completely in, I really hope it passes, we have a laughable urban core for a city of this size. This is a huge step in the right direction and will propel many young professionals, as myself, to look much harder at living in Phoenix.

This propaganda is ridiculous, it's less than 1/3 of a cent on the dollar! Surprise had like a 11% sales tax when I lived there. It's time to grow up Phoenix!

Tempe is properly capitalizing on the increased foot traffic.
it's laughable and they've been at it for many years already.

Building downtown Phoenix into a "proper" downtown for a place the size of the Phoenix valley will be about as successful as the war on drugs.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:14 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusland View Post

Talk to ADOT about that one... they built those, not the City.

EDIT: And, I should add-- I won't have a vote on this either. I already cheerfully pay the higher sales tax in Tempe, which is very much tied to the public transit access we have in Tempe. Very happy to pay for that.

Last edited by observer53; 07-14-2015 at 04:11 PM..

Old 07-14-2015, 03:17 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,964,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
it's laughable and they've been at it for many years already.

Building downtown Phoenix into a "proper" downtown for a place the size of the Phoenix valley will be about as successful as the war on drugs.
Disagree, their old strategy under Mayor Gordon was to build high rise towers and hope to create demand. With ASU dragging graduate students downtown, and an increase in public transportation and we will see a much needed improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area