Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 08:22 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
From what I heard, the majority of hockey fans in the Phoenix area live in the East Valley, thus the Glendale location for the arena is inconvenient for the majority of the fanbase.

I was wondering, does anyone think Mesa would be a better location for the Coyotes? I know some would think Scottsdale would be more logical, but I think the Coyotes tried at one point to sell the idea of an arena in Scottsdale and the city voted it down. In Tempe, there are very few places an arena can be built due to being landlocked and mostly already developed. I'm not sure if Chandler or Gilbert would approve an arena either. Because of these limitations with other East Valley cities, I think Mesa would make the most sense for an East Valley location.

So, what does anyone think about an arena for the Coyotes in Mesa?
I think it's a terrible idea. You are just repeating the same problem. The point that should be learned is the stadium should be in a central location whether it's in downtown Phoenix. It should not be isolated. There are a lot of Phoenix area fans and putting the stadium in Mesa wouldn't help matters. Also, there are a lot of West Valley fans as well. Since they relocated to Glendale, many local Glendale residents became supporters so you would want to provide access to those fans as well. Putting it in Mesa pretty much excludes those fans.There would be issues if it was located in Tempe as well. The parking and traffic would be insane. The best location is downtown Phoenix IMHO

What will ultimately happen is the Suns and Coyotes will receive a new facility they will share in downtown Phoenix. Phoenix wants the Coyotes because it will bring people to downtown and help continue to revitalize it. Having two professional sports teams play from October to June would mean downtown Phoenix would always have a major event during this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 08:31 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I think it's a terrible idea. You are just repeating the same problem. The point that should be learned is the stadium should be in a central location whether it's in downtown Phoenix. It should not be isolated. There are a lot of Phoenix area fans and putting the stadium in Mesa wouldn't help matters. Also, there are a lot of West Valley fans as well. Since they relocated to Glendale, many local Glendale residents became supporters so you would want to provide access to those fans as well. Putting it in Mesa pretty much excludes those fans.

There would be issues if it was located in Tempe as well. The parking and traffic would be insane. The best location is downtown Phoenix IMHO
I don't know, I think Tempe can handle it. Just a couple weeks ago ASU had a home game on a Thursday (school day) with 55,000 fans plus a show was on at Gammage and there was ample parking. Figure maybe 1/3 of that maximum for a sold out hockey game. I think the key would be to place it East of campus so that it doesn't coincide with school parking on weekday games. ASU is planning an athletic facilities district and the plan is to sell some prime ASU land to developers to fund projects.

I think Downtown Phoenix is a good location too. IMO anywhere between the 101 Price Freeway and Downtown Phoenix along the light rail would be fine, that is the center of employment and would have easy access from many population centers.

https://afd.asu.edu/

Old 11-10-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Hockey is a winter sport (unless the team makes it deep into the playoffs and/or Stanley Cup Finals).
There are a lot of Coyotes fans but the West Side is just impractical. I mean I know people who complained having to drive out there for the Monday Night Football game. Now imagine having to do that 2-3 times per week just to see hockey. It's just not realistic. That doesn't mean there are not fans of the Coyotes or hockey in general. If you put the stadium in a place that is more accessible to people, more fans will attend the game. I'm not suggesting they will sell out every night but the attendance will definitely improve. That's why they should play in downtown so that no fan base is excluded. We need to retain our West Valley fans while bringing back the East Valley fans to the games.

The other thing is I don't see the Suns or D-backs really contending. I think both organizations are poorly run and don't think are truly passionate about contending IMHO. On the other hand, the Coyotes ownership genuinely cares about hockey and winning. They just don't have the money. But I think if they relocate to downtown and the team generates more money through increased ticket sales, that ownership group will reinvest that into the team to make them better. I think that will appeal to fans and they will develop a faithful following.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:01 AM

233 posts, read 258,149 times
The jokes about hockey not working in the desert is so old and overdone. There are so many reasons why the Coyotes have not drawn over the last decades.

Youth hockey has grown exponentially over the last decade in the valley. The #1 amateur prospect in the nation is from the Scottsdale area.

Sharing a new arena downtown would be the best idea. I just can't see them sharing an arena on the reservation, but money talks. The Suns have always felt like a downtown team to me. The Coyotes will be somewhere in the valley for the foreseeable future. Las Vegas and Quebec are almost guaranteed expansion franchises. Seattle couldn't get their act together for a bid. It's no guarantee they could just move there either.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:21 AM

246 posts, read 401,056 times
When Mesa is thrown out there as a possibility, people sometimes forget that Mesa covers a whole lot of area and putting the Coyotes on the west side of Mesa, like around Riverview, is a very different proposition than putting them somewhere on the far east side of Mesa. A west Mesa location would be ok, but a far east Mesa location would be as bad as the far west location we've got now.

That said, downtown Phoenix or somewhere nearby is the best location and would be reachable from all parts of the valley. If for some reason that doesn't work out, a north Tempe, south Scottsdale, west Mesa, or reservation location near the 101 would be a definite improvement over where they are now as you'd still be somewhat central to the metro area and would be much more accessible for the east valley fans.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:08 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Hockey is a winter sport (unless the team makes it deep into the playoffs and/or Stanley Cup Finals).
Oh, hockey puck.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:08 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgray9 View Post
When Mesa is thrown out there as a possibility, people sometimes forget that Mesa covers a whole lot of area and putting the Coyotes on the west side of Mesa, like around Riverview, is a very different proposition than putting them somewhere on the far east side of Mesa. A west Mesa location would be ok, but a far east Mesa location would be as bad as the far west location we've got now.
In fact, the Riverview area is one of the first areas in Mesa that I had in mind for a new Coyotes arena. That location would be much closer to where the majority of the fanbase is, while still being central enough for most of the Valley.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:35 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
In fact, the Riverview area is one of the first areas in Mesa that I had in mind for a new Coyotes arena. That location would be much closer to where the majority of the fanbase is, while still being central enough for most of the Valley.
The area where the cubs stadium is now was floated for both Cardinals and Coyotes but Mesa lost the bids. Glendale runs the stadium district very poorly, it really does hurt the Coyotes.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I don't know, I think Tempe can handle it. Just a couple weeks ago ASU had a home game on a Thursday (school day) with 55,000 fans plus a show was on at Gammage and there was ample parking. Figure maybe 1/3 of that maximum for a sold out hockey game. I think the key would be to place it East of campus so that it doesn't coincide with school parking on weekday games. ASU is planning an athletic facilities district and the plan is to sell some prime ASU land to developers to fund projects.

I think Downtown Phoenix is a good location too. IMO anywhere between the 101 Price Freeway and Downtown Phoenix along the light rail would be fine, that is the center of employment and would have easy access from many population centers.

https://afd.asu.edu/
Personally, I would prefer Tempe as that is closer to both of us. LOL And I think it would have a really special feel if it was in Tempe. However, gaining access to that inner part of Tempe would lead to traffic. It would probably take another 20-30 minutes to park after arriving in Tempe. I think that would really bother West Valley and Phoenix residents. Can you imagine the 202 East on game days? It's already packed but it would get even worse and Rural and University would be so crowded with game day traffic. I think downtown is a better option because it has so many access points and can handle the traffic. I think it would also dissuade West Valley fans it were in Tempe, but I think those fans would be willing to travel to downtown Phoenix.

If the Coyotes were given their choice, I think they would prefer to have their own facility in Tempe on ASU campus. I just don't know if they will get that.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:28 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Downtown is the best location for the Coyotes, or any pro sports for that matter ... however, putting a hockey/concert arena in an area of Glendale that used to be cotton fields (and still is to a certain point) was a very hasty, stupid move on so many levels. It's even reached the point where public money is being used to keep the team & the arena in Glendale! In order for something like this to be successful, you need infrastructure already in place. It never works to build a large facility, and hope that the development & amenities soon follow. We have seen the evidence with the large amounts of vacant land that the Glendale location has not brought in all the massive development which was originally planned. Move the Coyotes downtown, or to a more centralized location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area