Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 02:20 AM

7 posts, read 28,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawilson View Post
I have just read a post that is a little dis-heartening. What is the opinion of the forum about Phoenix and raising children there? We are looking for a nice climate warm weather, but dont want to live in fear every day so that we dont have to shovel snow.....
I'm a 2005 transplant, looking to get out as soon as I can (which is summer of 2009). Have been very disappointed in the rising COL (including real estate....what has happened here/is happening here is insane IMHO) and low wages. My partner is a sr. level software developer for a fortune-500 making about 20% less than the same job for the same company commands in CA (where we're from) even though the COL really isn't less here. There are also areas of the valley that are not very family-friendly due to large numbers of retirees. The traffic is awful as well (imagine....it often takes an hour or more to go 15-20 miles).

The weather leads to outrageous electric bills 6 months out of the year. Even keeping the house TOO hot, it's $400/mo. The heat is unbearable in ways....over 110-155 day after day after day...and doesn't cool down much at night. If you will have a pool, that would greatly help!

It's not ALL bad...I moved from the west side to the east side and it's much more bearable here.

Don't forget to research Valley Fever. HUGE issue if anyone in your family is immunosuppressed. I'm awaiting lab results myself. 1/33 people get it now--granted most won't know they've got it and won't be very ill. But to certain groups, it's a real issue and something I neglected to research prior to moving.

As far as raising children...it's not horrible. I think that sort of thing will be what you make it. Schools will be important if you use the public schools. Gilbert, parts of Chandler and Scottsdale are touted to be the best districts in the area. Some districts have huge overcrowding issues. The state is pretty homeschooling and charter school friendly. The zoo is wonderful. Crime is negligible in the outlying areas. There is plenty of shopping, gyms, movie complexes and restaurants.

The healthcare system is overwhelmed, as is the children's hospital. This is one of our primary reasons for moving (chronically ill child).

Last edited by azphotog; 02-13-2008 at 02:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 03:11 PM

5 posts, read 46,215 times
Default Bad Schools!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawilson View Post
I have just read a post that is a little dis-heartening. What is the opinion of the forum about Phoenix and raising children there? We are looking for a nice climate warm weather, but dont want to live in fear every day so that we dont have to shovel snow.....
Phoenix is a horrible place to raise children. Not because the climate but because the school system is awful. I moved out here from California for work and have been here the last few years and am moving now that my daughter will be starting kindergarten soon.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:47 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,019,212 times
From another thread similar to this:

There are gang counts and estimates done by the Phoenix PD and other law enforcement agencies like the FBI for metro areas. When looking at school performance at Arizona, one must take into account the dynamics are work with school rankings. Arizona uses one of the most stingent forms or self-evaluation and include schools on Indian Reservation (no other state does). Schools perform bad in Arizona because of the huge migrant population of illegal hispanics (which may soon change due to laws). Those student place horribly in ALL test given because of a lack of basic education from

were they came and from knowing very little proper English. Your average American kid (white, black, hispanic, asian, etc.) in Arizona is not failing like those groups that bring down ratings of AZ schools. And remember, Phoenix area schools actually out perform the rest of the rural state and schools on poor indian reservations and in poor rural counties. Mesa PS has the highest graduation rate in the nation and many Phoenix schools have average SAT test scores that are above the national average. Some more info:

"Both North and North Canyon high schools made Newsweek's 2007 list of the top 1,351 high schools in the country, based on how well schools prepare students to excel in college. Also on the list: Paradise Valley's Pinnacle, Scottsdale's Chaparral and Desert Mountain, Glendale Union's Sunnyslope, and Chandler's Hamilton and Chandler High. "
List of schools with exceptional academic programs

"Greater Phoenix schools rank above national average
An important issue for residents in any location is the quality of education. The table below shows
the high school and unified districts that serve GPEC’s member cities. Arizona schools have[/SIZE]
adopted a new program that focuses on raising standards, requiring more discipline and[/SIZE]
expecting greater achievement.[/SIZE]
A statewide dropout prevention program was established in 1987[/SIZE]
In 1987, high school graduation requirements in math and science were also[/SIZE]
strengthened[/SIZE]
•The majority of Greater Phoenix school districts rank well above national averages on[/SIZE]
standardized achievement tests[/SIZE]
A number of the districts offer extensive “magnet” and other programs to help keep[/SIZE]
education relevant and interesting[/SIZE]
These districts provide specialized courses in career and vocational fields, articulating [/SIZE]
programs with the community colleges[/SIZE]
Magnet programs include: aeronautics and aerospace, visual arts, performing arts,[/SIZE]
agribusiness, computer studies, international baccalaureate, applied science and [/SIZE]
engineering, and 21st century leadership[/SIZE]"

http://www.surpriseaz.com/common/mod...w.asp?DID=2065 (http://www.surpriseaz.com/common/modules/documentcenter2/documentview.asp?DID=2065 - broken link)

Old 07-01-2008, 06:48 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,019,212 times
The 100 best places to raise a family - TODAY 101 - MSNBC.com

Phoenix was listed as one of the best cities to raise a family in 2007-2008 and spending per pupil since your link was posted has been increased. I just think people have a stigma about Phoenix, its more of an opinion because of the past and not really what is happening. As for the Universities in the west, there are many at the top of the list. If a student isn't applying himself/herself and blame the state they are in, I think there's a problem with that mindset.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:12 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
From another thread similar to this:

There are gang counts and estimates done by the Phoenix PD and other law enforcement agencies like the FBI for metro areas. When looking at school performance at Arizona, one must take into account the dynamics are work with school rankings. Arizona uses one of the most stingent forms or self-evaluation and include schools on Indian Reservation (no other state does). Schools perform bad in Arizona because of the huge migrant population of illegal hispanics (which may soon change due to laws). Those student place horribly in ALL test given because of a lack of basic education from

were they came and from knowing very little proper English. Your average American kid (white, black, hispanic, asian, etc.) in Arizona is not failing like those groups that bring down ratings of AZ schools. And remember, Phoenix area schools actually out perform the rest of the rural state and schools on poor indian reservations and in poor rural counties. Mesa PS has the highest graduation rate in the nation and many Phoenix schools have average SAT test scores that are above the national average. Some more info:

"Both North and North Canyon high schools made Newsweek's 2007 list of the top 1,351 high schools in the country, based on how well schools prepare students to excel in college. Also on the list: Paradise Valley's Pinnacle, Scottsdale's Chaparral and Desert Mountain, Glendale Union's Sunnyslope, and Chandler's Hamilton and Chandler High. "
List of schools with exceptional academic programs

"Greater Phoenix schools rank above national average
An important issue for residents in any location is the quality of education. The table below shows
the high school and unified districts that serve GPEC’s member cities. Arizona schools have[/SIZE]
adopted a new program that focuses on raising standards, requiring more discipline and[/SIZE]
expecting greater achievement.[/SIZE]
A statewide dropout prevention program was established in 1987[/SIZE]
In 1987, high school graduation requirements in math and science were also[/SIZE]
strengthened[/SIZE]
•The majority of Greater Phoenix school districts rank well above national averages on[/SIZE]
standardized achievement tests[/SIZE]
A number of the districts offer extensive “magnet” and other programs to help keep[/SIZE]
education relevant and interesting[/SIZE]
These districts provide specialized courses in career and vocational fields, articulating [/SIZE]
programs with the community colleges[/SIZE]
Magnet programs include: aeronautics and aerospace, visual arts, performing arts,[/SIZE]
agribusiness, computer studies, international baccalaureate, applied science and [/SIZE]
engineering, and 21st century leadership[/SIZE]"

http://www.surpriseaz.com/common/mod...w.asp?DID=2065 (http://www.surpriseaz.com/common/modules/documentcenter2/documentview.asp?DID=2065 - broken link)
You continue to impress with your research and attention to details. I hope you become a moderator here one day. You have some of the informative posts I've read on here. Great research and find

Old 07-01-2008, 08:20 PM

812 posts, read 2,307,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
If you're involved in your children's education, they'll do fine. My wife is a teacher and from what I've seen and heard, the kids that do well in school have parents that are taking part and helping in the educational process. The ones that fail and do poorly usually don't have any support at home. Those are the parents that think it's simply the school's job to educate their children. They are the parents that don't return a teachers phone calls.

Getting involved doesn't mean you have to understand the material being taught. The main thing is just making sure kids are spending time on their homework, reading, and spending time on their projects. That means parents have to tell their kids to get off the phone, computer, television, and video games. At least until their work is done. A teacher can't be held accountable for what students do when they leave the school and go home, that's the parent's job.

So when you see a school with low test scores, don't just blame the teachers. Sure, there may be some bad teachers. But I'd take a closer look at the neighborhood those schools are in. I'm pretty sure it's someplace I don't want to live.
I agree! I used to teach in Arizona and I totally agree!

As far as the question of raising children goes, I think anyone who has values in their home and is happy where they are, no matter where or what state or city you are in, your children will have a good and happy life. It is what you make it. If you reflect a happy, healthy environment for your child, then they will feel that way. you can look where you want to live. That is logistical but if you're not happy then it will be hard for your children to be happy!

I hope you find just the right place for you. For me it was Phoenix and I have no regrets. As long as you are happy, that is all that matters! , Happy, Happy and more Happy

Old 07-01-2008, 08:53 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,436,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
I have a toddler and just moved out of Phoenix to an area that's "better" to raise a family. I've really enjoyed being out of Phoenix because I've found that there is a whole lot to do where I am now. I think, though, that I'd been in Phoenix so long without a kid that I didn't do as much to FIND places to take my son while I was there. The schools aren't good for the most part, but one thing that's really nice is that you can find great charter school options in Phoenix. As mentioned in several other threads, there are the drop-out high schools that you want to steer clear of, but search for a charter school with a classical education and you'll be fine. I'm finding here that we can't afford to live in the areas with the "great" schools, which means if you're a one income family here, you're stuck with the not so great schools. This wasn't the case in Phoenix.

The heat in the summer is tough with kids. Putting kids in car seats and taking them out when it's 115 degrees is my biggest complaint!

One nice thing about AZ is that there is a lot to do outdoors. In the summer, you go up north to places like Payson, Page, Sedona, etc for day or weekend trips with the family. I miss the fact that I can play in the snow, go camping, fishing, hiking, boat riding, visiting ghost towns, pumkin farms, farms with train rides, and biking in less than two hours drive.

Every place has good and bad stuff to deal with. You'll never find a perfect place. Phoenix is home to many transplants who came here during a bubble market and are stuck with mortgages way over market value. It breeds complainers!
I agree...but you should try putting your kid in a carseat when its below zero out, your nuts are shriveled up, nipples hard with snot freezing down your mouth into the esophogus! its lovely! Then you'll say Oh, phoenix is heaven! I'd rather deal with heat than cold...

Old 07-01-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettearose View Post
I was born and raised in New York City. My husband and I love New York but a big reason for leaving it is was because we wanted to raise our children in a much more supportive environment. Phoenix offers that. I have three children and they love Phoenix. I personally love suburban sprawl. I enjoy the fact that I can drive to 3 Cosco's and 3 Sams Clubs in a 20 mile radius. All of the gyms like Lifetime Fitness and LA Fitness have huge playpen areas and daycare built in. I enjoy how you have major stadium seating 24 theatre movie complexes on every corner. I never have to compete or wait in lines to watch a movie like I did in New York. My sons play pee wee football and there are several open grass fields all over my neighborhood in which their friends and they can play. There are also bike lanes and the wide streets make it easy to ride your bike nearly anywhere. I enjoy the fact that homes are new so I don't worry about minor repairs that you worry about back east in which most homes are at least 20-30 years old and have items break down routinely. I think the schools are excellent. There are all types of schools here. You have charter, magnate, general public and private schools. My sons also learning to play ice hockey league and there are pee wee hockey leagues and figure skating to satisfy that demand. Last but not least, I enjoy the fact that everything is new so the quality tends to be really nice. Even a McDonalds here looks amazing. The summers have never offered challenges to my children. Most of the sport leagues are held early in the morning or later in the evening when the heat has dissipated. Our daughter is involved in dance and gymnastics which is held inside. I also notice that my kids are a lot less sick in the winter than my friends back east. I just haven't endured the harsh flu and cold seasons that cold weather cities seem to offer. My doctor explained that many viruses incubate and replicate better in cold so maybe that has something to do with it. What's nice is that Phoenix offers enough for adults that if we need to hire a babysitter, we can drive 10-25 minutes to Scottsdale or downtown/Biltmore to dine at a trendy restaurant or lounge and experience city life. If you live in a suburb in New York, that same trip would take you a minimum of an hour total travel time. This has been my experience. I'm not going to contradict anyone else's but I guess I've just been incredibly lucky.
Sweettearose, you made that sound great! where would this hood be? Being from Chicago, I would tend to agree with you more than the others, especially the "new" thing...

Old 07-01-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
The 100 best places to raise a family - TODAY 101 - MSNBC.com

Phoenix was listed as one of the best cities to raise a family in 2007-2008 and spending per pupil since your link was posted has been increased. I just think people have a stigma about Phoenix, its more of an opinion because of the past and not really what is happening. As for the Universities in the west, there are many at the top of the list. If a student isn't applying himself/herself and blame the state they are in, I think there's a problem with that mindset.
yeah like totally duuuude, kawabunga! The parents are too busy letting their kids get half sleeved tattoos and taking them to get their faux hawk haircurts and that metal mulisha garbage....don't get me wrong i love that $hit but I don't live it like some of these young dumb kids, let along parents! I dunno about you but to me, anyone with more than one or two tattoos are absolute morons! No need for it...

Old 07-01-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You continue to impress with your research and attention to details. I hope you become a moderator here one day. You have some of the informative posts I've read on here. Great research and find
Francisco can confirm but I think you just unknowingly asked him out on a date?

Really though, the kid does shoot to impress...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area