Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2016, 11:24 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,973,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
But we need lots more higher end jobs on top of what we have now to populate the region even more some say.

People complaining about the crowds/we are "too big" now haven't seen anything yet if that comes to pass. Be careful what you wish for as often it's a double edged sword.
Phoenix is a perpetual growth machine. Better to attract talent over leisure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 12:27 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,480,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I agree. I just think those who think we are too big/we shouldn't grow bigger yet want more educated job growth are asking for something that can't exist. Personally I accept the Phoenix metro is a big metro and I have no problem with that or it getting bigger for that matter. If I had a problem with that, I would move. And there are plenty of outskirt areas close to the metro/on the edges where one can live in a place that feels much smaller yet have the convenience of what a big metro offers close by. Of course some of those edges eventually become more of the center but that's reality in a metro like ours that is growing/has been growing at a good clip and will be growing far into the future.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:24 AM

394 posts, read 343,603 times
Quote:
^^^ it's easy to say (and think) - when it's not reality...

As a native born SoCal resident, having seen the demise in CA (statewide).... I can tell you first hand - uncontrolled "growth" is a complete detriment - and all "native" Maricopa residents will be squawking about over-regulated, high taxes, excessive crowds, Unbearable traffic (trust me when I tell you it can be MUCH worse)... There's more - but let's not make this is reality fest...

1) learn the political and social ramifications of your brilliant ideas... This includes not being so self-righteous as to think your ideas haven't been tried.

2) be smart enough to realize and accept - some ideas have been tried and failed.

3) DO NOT follow the CA plan - bulldoze unsupported plans to the point of complete failure.

4) Recognize, accept, and embrace the experience of those before you.

5) - MOST MPORTANT - Don't take Freedom for Granted. Remain invloved - lack of concern will change your life beyond repair.

Some will understand and accept... Some will squawk in defiance... All will live with their decision.

Be smart.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:46 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,480,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post

As a native born SoCal resident, having seen the demise in CA (statewide).... I can tell you first hand - uncontrolled "growth" is a complete detriment - and all "native" Maricopa residents will be squawking about over-regulated, high taxes, excessive crowds, Unbearable traffic (trust me when I tell you it can be MUCH worse)... There's more - but let's not make this is reality fest...

1) learn the political and social ramifications of your brilliant ideas... This includes not being so self-righteous as to think your ideas haven't been tried.

2) be smart enough to realize and accept - some ideas have been tried and failed.

3) DO NOT follow the CA plan - bulldoze unsupported plans to the point of complete failure.

5) - MOST MPORTANT - Don't take Freedom for Granted. Remain invloved - lack of concern will change your life beyond repair.

Some will understand and accept... Some will squawk in defiance... All will live with their decision.

Be smart.
Good post. Growth but smart measured slow growth, don't get impatient and look for it all to happen yesterday. I think the wise old wall street saying says it best:

Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post

Be smart.
I don't see how this runs counter to my post. The post is written as if it's a counter post, warning people who don't know any better. It merely expands on my post.

Attracting talent is part of a smart growth plan. As a Phoenix native I can tell you about uncontrolled growth centered around warm weather and cheap housing.

Phoenix will always grow, so long as it can, talent attraction is better for the city's health than people looking to escape the snow, or find a cheap California.

I'm fine with Phoenix growing, so long as it's up and not exclusively montonous sprawl.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:00 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,745,449 times
Quote:
If Phoenix is a perpetual growth machine then can someone explain the last decade? The growth has slowed to a trickle... Our current population increases are mere fractions of what they used to be and nobody sees it coming back anytime soon. It's time to rethink how we grow here and focus on jobs over simply adding people.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:21 PM

594 posts, read 700,014 times
Default ....a trickle ?????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
If Phoenix is a perpetual growth machine then can someone explain the last decade? The growth has slowed to a trickle... Our current population increases are mere fractions of what they used to be and nobody sees it coming back anytime soon. It's time to rethink how we grow here and focus on jobs over simply adding people.
Somebody else take this one I'm going to enjoy the fireworks !

Old 07-12-2016, 09:39 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,507,229 times
Quote:
I don't see how this runs counter to my post. The post is written as if it's a counter post, warning people who don't know any better. It merely expands on my post.

Attracting talent is part of a smart growth plan. As a Phoenix native I can tell you about uncontrolled growth centered around warm weather and cheap housing.

Phoenix will always grow, so long as it can, talent attraction is better for the city's health than people looking to escape the snow, or find a cheap California.

I'm fine with Phoenix growing, so long as it's up and not exclusively montonous sprawl.
Very well-written.

One point to remember is every metropolitan area has sprawl, even the eastern metros like New York, Boston, Washington, and Philadelphia.

Those areas are very dense in the core cities and some of the inner-ring suburbs, but outside of there it's sprawl galore.

Phoenix has a pretty good mix of urbanity and suburban sprawl with a greater emphasis on the latter and I think the urban density will continue to expand in the near future.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:19 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,632,590 times
Quote:
Agreed. Growth in Phoenix has slowed tremendously. You would think that slower growth would lead to an adjustment in the thought process of city leaders and MAG about our future, but it is not. There are too many salivating, thinking that 2003-2007 growth levels are coming back. They are gone. For decades. Buckeye, Goodyear, Queen Creek, Avondale, San Tan Valley are not growing by leaps and bounds any time soon. It's strange how some people ignore reality just because they see a handful of homes being built and a road being widened.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Agreed. Growth in Phoenix has slowed tremendously. You would think that slower growth would lead to an adjustment in the thought process of city leaders and MAG about our future, but it is not. There are too many salivating, thinking that 2003-2007 growth levels are coming back. They are gone. For decades. Buckeye, Goodyear, Queen Creek, Avondale, San Tan Valley are not growing by leaps and bounds any time soon. It's strange how some people ignore reality just because they see a handful of homes being built and a road being widened.
See how Phoenix and Arizona stack up in latest Census populations - The Laughton Team
Quote:
Phoenix also ranked fifth in numeric population growth, adding nearly 25,000 new residents in 2015 over 2014. The city fell behind San Antonio, Texas (29,536), the city of Los Angeles (34,943), Houston (40,032) and New York City (55,211). Texas had five of the top 15 with Fort Worth, Dallas and Austin placing behind Phoenix.

Two Valley cities, Buckeye and Goodyear ranked 14 and 15 in the nation in population growth rate, both at 4.3 percent. Queen Creek also had a 4.3 percent growth rate, but the top 15 list is based on cities with populations over 50,000.

In the years between 2000 and 2010, those glorious years we'll never see again, Phoenix averaged approx 11,000 year over year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area