Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 10:34 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times

Advertisements

We have been fans of American Idol for years. At this point this year, we are sick of and upset at the obvious pandering/stacking of the deck. Keith Urban basically admitted what was going on. They are sending home some real good singers who happen to be white of America decent and are giving the thumbs up to some pretty awful singers (not all) who fall into certain categories.....minority, foreign decent, freak shows, etc. The judges and show are making very clear they are not selecting singers based solely on who sings best. They are intentionally stacking the deck in order to have a certain representation in order to secure interest among diverse groups. I mean come on...one of the girls is obviously a guy who dresses as a girl.

From a marketing scheme, I get it. The more ethnic and cultural representation on the show, the more viewers of diverse background you can get.......thus theoretically increasing the fan base and viewership.

It's just that in our opinion, the show has now lost its luster and has resorted to cheap manipulation, not showcasing the best actual singers. It should be the best singers period. If that makes them all white, all black or all asian, so be it. The best is the best.

We are very disappointed and are considering ending our viewership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 12:41 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,269,625 times
It's a tv show. It's for entertainment. I don't watch the show, but if you don't like it, change the channel or turn the tv off. It's not worth getting upset about.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:52 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times
I don't watch American Idol. I watched a few seasons back at the beginning, enjoying the silliness of the auditions and then watched the full 3rd season because I enjoyed Taylor Hicks.

I never liked the show because (IN MY OPINION) you can see right through the audience manipulation as well as the manipulation of the votes.

They have 100% control over everything that happens on that show, including the voting. Do you really think they're going to allow the viewing audience to decide who they're going to keep on the show??? Hells to the no! They're going to control and manipulate it the way they need it to be in order to keep viewership, increase viewership, and maintain sponsorship.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:56 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
I havent seen many seasons but one need to look no further than the way Randy Jackson treated Haley Rhineheart to know that the show usually has an agenda and a decent idea of how they are going to steer the show.

Let's be honest, once you get to the audience voting portion of the show there is no need for judges yet there they are swaying votes a particular way. That said, how do we even know that the person who got the most votes actually GOT the most votes?

The show's sole purpose is for ratings. If you go in knowing that above all else, the show is much more enjoyable.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:43 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,581,120 times
Quote:
American Idol One Big Scam....IMO
And you're just figuring this out NOW?? I watched the first few seasons of Idol and other reality contests. But really, I do think that most of them are contrived to gain ratings. And would America and the rest of the world watch a contest that had nothing but good contestants? Probably not.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:32 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
And you're just figuring this out NOW?? I watched the first few seasons of Idol and other reality contests. But really, I do think that most of them are contrived to gain ratings. And would America and the rest of the world watch a contest that had nothing but good contestants? Probably not.
LOL....no, but it is incredibly obvious and bad this year. We are trying not to give up on it, but it really has gone to an uncomfortable level at this point.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:40 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
They are sending home some real good singers who happen to be white of America decent...
Aside from the oh us poor picked on white folks pity party - especially considering that there have only been 3 African American winners... one has to be pretty dense to suddenly realizing that Idol producers have been manipulating audiences for years. The show has never been about identifying the best "singer" but rather the next "American Idol" which in the history of the record industry has been a manufactured talent. Packaging talent, looks, backstory, manufactured news stories, over produced releases, payola, why do you think they call it the music business?

Old 02-19-2013, 07:46 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,375,076 times
I agree, it's just like the rest of the "reality" shows. T hey don't always need the judges to sway the votes though. The year Carrie Underwood won, when I heard her first audition, I said "There is the winner, I guarantee it." Then, when that Lee guy won, I had picked him to win.

I can't wait for The Voice to start next month. I like it better.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:49 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
LOL....no, but it is incredibly obvious and bad this year. We are trying not to give up on it, but it really has gone to an uncomfortable level at this point.
Give it up! Give it up now! Don't give in and support these un-reality shows!

I used to watch Survivor (up until the double Rob season), The Bachelor (no, not fake at ALL ), The Apprentice (stopped after the Omarosa season), and America's Next Top Model, but no more.

The only competitive reality show I still watch and have seen all the seasons of is Project Runway. I don't always agree with their picks (very inconsistent), and I DO realize that some contestants are kept on a long time only because they add to the drama. But I really enjoy seeing the garments constructed.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:01 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,924,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post

I used to watch Survivor (up until the double Rob season), The Bachelor (no, not fake at ALL ), The Apprentice (stopped after the Omarosa season), and America's Next Top Model, but no more.
That show has like 30-50% black women. How many black women make it in the business other than the handful we all know?

To me, it's a Tyra trying to promote "black beauty" show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV