Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 12:56 PM

95 posts, read 162,258 times

Advertisements

What is the proximity to hospitals and health care facilities from places like Verrado and Sun City Festival?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 04:39 PM

6 posts, read 8,603 times
Default Relocating: NY to AZ

Hi Rosco

I’m assuming that based on your user name you’re from NY (917). I was born in Queens, NY and lived there for 38 years until my family and I moved in 2008 to the Chandler / Phoenix area in AZ. We visited family in Chandler, AZ in early 2008, fell in love with the area, and had moved out by the end of the year!

We’re out in the East Valley but the areas in the West Valley that you’re considering Buckeye, Goodyear, and Surprise have similar amenities. My parents as well as my wife’s parents have been out here several times and they love it, but just haven’t pulled the trigger yet as far as moving out here. I have one cousin from Lindenhurst, Long Island that visited us about 5 years ago, put his house on the market as soon as they got home and has been here ever since. We have friends in the West Valley in Surprise, Litchfield Park, and Anthem and they love it out there.

What I tell all my friends/family that are interested in moving out here from NY is… If you need all the amenities and life style that Manhattan has to offer then you won’t be happy here. However, if you’re one of those people that are from Long Island , Westchester, New Jersey etc…that really are more interested in suburban living, then the Phoenix Metropolitan area surpasses what suburban areas in NY have to offer, in terms of overall infrastructure/shopping/home prices/property taxes and weather obviously.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Dom-NY2AZ; 03-26-2016 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: Sentence edit

Old 03-26-2016, 08:22 PM

346 posts, read 549,706 times
We live in Surprise in Verrado's sister community Marley Park and absolutely love it! (We considered Verrado, which we also loved, but wanted to be closer to medical, restaurants, etc.) In addition to being close to dining, shopping, medical, the library, and the stadium for spring training we are close to the White Tank mountains and tons of recreational opportunities. There are people of all ages here in Surprise (and Marley Park) and tons of age restricted areas close by if that's what you prefer.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:29 PM

743 posts, read 876,806 times
When I retire I will not be living in Arizona. I have lived here (Waddell) 16 years and it's been okay. It's relatively cheap to live here. We used to ride our Harley, but people are not motorcycle friendly and we've had some near hits over several years, so we sold it. From what you've said you want to do, I would go with either Verrado or Estrella Mountain Ranch. I would never live in Surprise. It's hard to get out of there. You have to either take Grand or the 303, or worse Bell road. No offense to anyone living in Surprise, but the people are kinda uppity and it's full of snowbirds half the year. I'm right around the corner of being a snowbird and I don't want to live around old people-haha.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
When I retire I will not be living in Arizona. I have lived here (Waddell) 16 years and it's been okay. It's relatively cheap to live here. We used to ride our Harley, but people are not motorcycle friendly and we've had some near hits over several years, so we sold it. From what you've said you want to do, I would go with either Verrado or Estrella Mountain Ranch. I would never live in Surprise. It's hard to get out of there. You have to either take Grand or the 303, or worse Bell road. No offense to anyone living in Surprise, but the people are kinda uppity and it's full of snowbirds half the year. I'm right around the corner of being a snowbird and I don't want to live around old people-haha.
Awww c'mon, not "motorcycle friendly" in Waddell? The U.S. is not "motorcycle friendly" and never has been if we're talking about 4 wheels not seeing or giving way to 2 wheels. I'm sure bicycles see Waddell,Surprise and every other city as unfriendly as well.
Yes it's less expensive to own a home in Waddell (for now) as it's a county island (newer homes under $200k) and has gone mostly unnoticed when it comes to development but I think that is going to change soon. I guess we need some annoying jingle like Verrado to be "oh so special" or "very something"?

I'm with you on the snowbird thing! LOL

Old 04-08-2016, 08:03 AM

605 posts, read 1,093,148 times
Just another question, how far is it from Buckeye to Surprise. And what city or town is between the two?

Old 04-08-2016, 09:01 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,148,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco917 View Post
Thanks to everyone for responding. I lost my wife a few years ago, our plan was moving to Az. Now I'm on my own, and still having the same itch.

My interests are riding a motorcycle, music, firearm sports, biking, and hiking. I don't need to commute to work daily. I stay pretty much to myself, and have no need for the lure of the city, or massive crowds.

If anyone else would care to respond, I would appreciate it.
Why not Payson? More temperate climate, plenty of outdoors right out your front door...

Old 04-08-2016, 09:08 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco917 View Post
Just another question, how far is it from Buckeye to Surprise. And what city or town is between the two?

Mappquest says 31 miles. Goodyear or Litchfield Park or Tolleson or Avondale, to the south, and Glendale and Peoria are all more or less between them in terms of points on a map. They are all western suburbs of Phoenix, with the advantage of being more accessible to central Phoenix and points east than Surprise, if that matters to you.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:19 AM

902 posts, read 1,105,187 times
some areas of buckeye way out towards the power plant and airport have a strong animal feces odor due to the farming

nice quiet area with an easy commute into South phoenix

Surprise would put you much closer to the Ben Avery Shooting Facility, the valley's premiere outdoor shooting venue

https://www.azgfd.com/Shooting/BASF

being on the north side of phoenix (surprise) would also put you closer to the better riding, less traffic, curvy roads, access to North AZ without having to go through Phoenix to get there

Last edited by azsportpilot; 04-08-2016 at 09:28 AM..

Old 04-08-2016, 02:28 PM

346 posts, read 549,706 times
We looked at Verrado in Buckeye and Marley Park in Surprise when we were moving to Arizona (both master planned developments with lots of architectural diversity, amenities, community involvement and social opportunities, including a motorcycle club) and ended up in Surprise. Beautiful as Verrado is the infrastructure isn't quite there out in Buckeye yet; we wanted shopping, dining and medical to be minutes away and we still have the White Tanks close by. We LOVE it here and are so happy with our decision; Marley Park/Surprise is a wonderful place to live. Definitely come check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area